VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

so I have this particular 1920x1080 file which is about 8GB with an average 15MB/s bitrate
    I would like to make it much smaller in order to fit it on a single layer DVD (so I guess a little more than 4GB)
    then build an AVCHD with tsmuxer

first thing I thought to reduce it to720p, as I really don't need it to be 1080p
    so I used
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -vf "scale=1280:720" output.mkv
    however the file is now WAY smaller, just about 800MB and the bit rate reduced all the way to 1 (ONE) MB/s, well 1376kb/s to be exact
    so obviously I am missing something, how can I keep the current bitrate?

since we're at it
    is there a way to scale it to 720 AND at the same time to shrink it to 4GB or so? (the audio part is about 150MB size)

thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
  2. ffmpeg -i input.mkv -b:v 4M -c:a aac -ac 2 -b:a 128k output.mkv
    No need to scale down to 720p, but you can include it if you wish since setting the bit rate will determine the size no matter the resolution.
    -b:v 4M sets the bitrate to ~4 MB/s
    -c:a aac sets the codec for the audio to the ffmpeg aac encoder which I think defaults to ogm
    -ac 2 -b:a 128k sets the audio channels to 2 (stereo) and sets a decent bit rate for the audio stream
    Quote Quote  
  3. thank you!!!!!

well I already demuxed the file anyway but very good to know your tips anyway
    I'll give it a try and report back
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Filesize = bitrate * running time
    This is a Universal formula.

If you want the file smaller, you MUST either reduce the bitrate, or cut/edit the clip.
    So if you don't edit it, and you say you want to keep the bitrate the same, the size of the file will remain the same, regardless of its resolution and regardless of what someone else tells you might be possible.
    Btw, while your title said "keeping bitrate", blud7's suggestion does NOT do that. But then, maybe that isn't as much of a requirement for you?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Filesize = bitrate * running time
    Btw, while your title said "keeping bitrate", blud7's suggestion does NOT do that. But then, maybe that isn't as much of a requirement for you?
    you are right
    very badly titled thread I suppose, sorry

anyway it worked very good
    reduced to little more than 2GB, but of course quality much better than the mess I did before

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would recommend copying the audio rather than encoding it again.

"-c:a aac -ac 2 -b:a 128k" should be replaced with "-c:a copy" in the ffmpeg command.

The poster did not specify what format the audio is currently in. It could be surround sound rather than simple stereo.

The video codec could also be changed but it would need to be known what the file is intended to be played on and what codecs would be supported.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johnnyquid View Post

The poster did not specify what format the audio is currently in. It could be surround sound rather than simple stereo.
    you are right, sorry
    it's an AC3 track 2CH stereo, 192kbps

as mentioned, I made an AVCHD with tsmuxer. Disc will have to be played on a Blu Ray player

funny, my trusted burner crapped out just yesterday, after 20 years of great service so I didn't burn the disc yet
    however the AVCHD folder (mounted with imgburn) played fine with VLC
    but you never know, non-Sony/Panasonic blu players sometimes have issues with AVCHD
    I'll replace the drive tomorrow
    Quote Quote  
  8. little update
    I thought the drive was faulty, however it seems I was wrong
    I have an insane amount of drives (Optiarc, Lite-On, pioneer) and only good media (TY, Verbatim, BBS)
    tried any possible combination and always came out with a coaster
    around 80% of burning imgburn stopped, claiming of a "medium error"

the nice folks over at imgburn pointed out while such error usually is due to bad media or faulty drive, it can also happen the file is corrupted
    thinking of it I do remember I got a warning from ffmpeg about some frame errors, but I don't remember exactly

as I said the built BDROM folder plays perfectly with vlc on my PC

I guess I need to go back to roots, the original mkv file
    is there a way to verify if there are errors of some sort, and in case how to fix them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Make an image on disk first.
    Quote Quote