VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My SV-5000W shuts down after pressing play.

The unit takes the cassette fine, but after pressing PLAY the VCR shows "STOP" and powers itself off, as the cassette will get stuck inside and I am not able to eject it without using extra force.

I have cleaned the mode switch and cleaned the heads without further improvement.

Similar issue shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MDbcos-cNA
    Quote Quote  
  2. There could be a problem with the power supply inside the unit. Measure and change out any faulty ELCO in the power supply circuit.
    See this video for guidance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsVYD2iWl5E
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have attached POV of my problem to this post.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. It seems the pick up spool is not turning. Is the belt slipping or broken?
    Quote Quote  
  5. No, the belt is fine. Tried even with the replacement belt. Cleaned the capstan and clutch as well.

No improvements.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you checked the main capstan belt underneath?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Have you checked with the service manual that none of the gears have skipped?

Also, make sure there aren't any broken gears, at least on the later variants of the samsung mech there are some that are a bit prone to cracking, especially the clutch gear thing between the reels.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I do not know your level of knowledge and I do not want to offend you.

First go back one step. In the first post you wrote that you have cleaned the mode switch.
    Did you put the top halve of the mode switch back in the correct orientation.
    The top and bottom halve arrow markings on them, they have to point to each other.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think these have a pin on the rotating bit of the mode switch which fits into a pin on a gear on the mech so not sure if you can even put in the mechanism if it's put on the wrong direction.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The arrows on the mode switch indicate that the vcr is in the fully tape unload position. This means that all the gears are in time with each other to load the tape.
    When the arrows of the mode switch are pointing to each other and the pin does not fit into gear then you have a timing issue.
    The vcr is not in the correct mode when you load a tape. Almost all the gears have alignment markers. There are arrow markers and there are holes that have to be aligned to work correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ok, I have tested the mechanism in the other Samsung machine.

The tape inserts, ejects, forwards/rewinds and plays fine!

What could be the problem then in the SW-5000W machine?
    Last edited by umbada; 15th Oct 2022 at 15:58.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by umbada View Post
    Then the problem is solved
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Heerschop View Post
    Originally Posted by umbada View Post
    Then the problem is solved
    Sorry for my typo.

Ok, I have tested the mechanism in the other Samsung machine....
    Quote Quote  
  14. So the mechanism from the SW-5000W is working fine in another similar vcr.
    Have you already checked the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply area ?.
    Quote Quote