VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    I just purchased a new Nvidia graphs card and discovered they no longer support full screen video out (since the 6 series apparently). We were using a playback system using an older card which would allow us to play videos on the main screen using our propitiatory video playback/scheduling software that would display full screen video in a second monitor. I know there are several players that support this (VLC, PotPlayer, etc.) and there's always drag windows media to the second window, however we need to use this playback software and this was an automatic startup solution. I also tried Ultramon, but that just makes the actual application full screen. It seems there aren't any graphics cards that support this feature any longer. (ATI also had "Theater Mode" which seems to be gone too.)

So to cut to the chase whatever videos plays in the main window, will play full screen in the second. Are there any apps that can do this functionality?

Thanks!
    Last edited by progrocktv; 4th Oct 2022 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by progrocktv View Post
    Hi all,
    I just purchased a new Nvidia graphs card and discovered they no longer support full screen video out (since the 6 series apparently). We were using a playback system using an older card which would allow us to play videos on the main screen using our propitiatory video playback/scheduling software that would display full screen video in a second monitor. I know there are several players that support this (VLC, PotPlayer, etc.) and there's always drag windows media to the second window, however we need to use this playback software and this was an automatic startup solution. It seems there aren't any graphics cards that support this feature any longer. (ATI also had "Theater Mode" which seems to be gone too.)

So to cut to the chase whatever videos plays in the main window, will play full screen in the second. Are there any apps that can do this functionality?

Thanks!
    try this here - https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/How_To/Full-Screen-Playback-on-a-Dual-Monitor-Setup
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by progrocktv View Post
    it's for avid, does your new graphics card have HDMI outputs on it ?? then you may want to get an HDMI splitter / adapter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryh4cV-Ussk
    Last edited by october262; 4th Oct 2022 at 23:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This "Full screen on 2nd monitor" is completely a function of the app and the OS (and possibly which APIs the app is using). Having no trouble here with a variety of apps here. In fact I have my VLC setup to automatically use ONLY my right monitor, in fullscreen mode, when playing videos (video controls in the center monitor, other apps going on in the left monitor).

You mention you HAVE to use a particular software to playback, but you don't say what this software is...?

Perhaps we know of workarounds or alternate softwares that WILL work with your setup. More info needed.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by progrocktv View Post
    We were using a playback system using an older card which would allow us to play videos on the main screen using our propitiatory video playback/scheduling software that would display full screen video in a second monitor.
    That was called "Theater Mode".

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/theatre-mode-video-on-second-dis...d-e6ada1119c10

I don't think Windows even supports that in Windows 10 and 11.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    This "Full screen on 2nd monitor" is completely a function of the app and the OS (and possibly which APIs the app is using). Having no trouble here with a variety of apps here. In fact I have my VLC setup to automatically use ONLY my right monitor, in fullscreen mode, when playing videos (video controls in the center monitor, other apps going on in the left monitor).

You mention you HAVE to use a particular software to playback, but you don't say what this software is...?

Perhaps we know of workarounds or alternate softwares that WILL work with your setup. More info needed.

Scott
    The software we use is called Raduga. It's an older software and unfortunately no other company offers the scheduling capability this software does (playlists, rotations, etc) so we need to use this one. It opens a video playback window, which, with our old NVIDIA card would play full screen, however since NVIDIA removed their full screen video out support we're unable to play video in the second monitor (there is no option in the software itself to play full screen)

You'd think someone could come up with a simple app that could take any video played on the desktop and show it full screen on a second monitor.
    Last edited by progrocktv; 6th Oct 2022 at 12:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    From the looks of that app site (which, BTW, throws up a number of trojan red flags - had to view on a diff platform to avoid issues), this app seems to be using an old, deprecated API (perhaps VFW, DirectX, old GDI...) and that method is what is no longer supported.

You could always downgrade to an older card, though you might need an older OS for it to work properly.

I can guarantee that there are a number of other apps out there that do very well at radio/tv scheduled airplay cueing and have no trouble with modern hardware, though most of them aren't cheap. But I would recommend you start looking to replace that app since it could be a potential security vulnerability, due to its age.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the info, I found one called Radio Boss, it's a little more complicated but might do the job. I still wish there was a simple app, I just don't get why Nvidia would stop supporting such a useful feature.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    From the looks of that app site (which, BTW, throws up a number of trojan red flags - had to view on a diff platform to avoid issues), this app seems to be using an old, deprecated API (perhaps VFW, DirectX, old GDI...) and that method is what is no longer supported.

You could always downgrade to an older card, though you might need an older OS for it to work properly.

I can guarantee that there are a number of other apps out there that do very well at radio/tv scheduled airplay cueing and have no trouble with modern hardware, though most of them aren't cheap. But I would recommend you start looking to replace that app since it could be a potential security vulnerability, due to its age.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by progrocktv View Post
    I just don't get why Nvidia would stop supporting such a useful feature.
    Because Windows no longer supports the feature.
    Quote Quote