VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to use this codec on a normal computer as opposed to to suing on Virtualdub2. What is a good way to install this codec in Windows computers? Or if that is not possible, what program can use x264 8 bit codec?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    x264 is the encoder that creates H.264 videos. Almost all the GUI's use it - Avidemux, Staxrip, Vidcoder, Handbrake,Ripbot264, etc.etc.
    Or you can download x264.exe and use it from the command line
    Quote Quote  
  3. https://www.videohelp.com/software/x264-Encoder

Then use a command line like:

Code:
    C:\path\to\x264-64bit.exe" --preset=slow --crf=18 --sar=1:1 --keyint 50 --colormatrix bt709 --range=tv --stitchable --output "output.mkv" "input.avs"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    x264 is the encoder that creates H.264 videos. Almost all the GUI's use it - Avidemux, Staxrip, Vidcoder, Handbrake,Ripbot264, etc.etc.
    Or you can download x264.exe and use it from the command line
    I see. I guess I will just use those programs especially the versions that work for older computers.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/x264-Encoder

Then use a command line like:

Code:
    C:\path\to\x264-64bit.exe" --preset=slow --crf=18 --sar=1:1 --keyint 50 --colormatrix bt709 --range=tv --stitchable --output "output.mkv" "input.avs"
    So it similar to FFMPEG? Do you have a guide for the command line?
    Quote Quote  
  5. x264 settings: http://www.chaneru.com/Roku/HLS/X264_Settings.htm
    x264 guide: https://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/x264_options_explained_page_2.cfm

Oops I just noticed that I left out the opening double quote in my sample command line. It should have looked like:

Code:
    "C:\path\to\x264-64bit.exe" --preset=slow --crf=18 --sar=1:1 --keyint 50 --colormatrix bt709 --range=tv --stitchable --output "output.mkv" "input.avs"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    In case you wanted to use x264 as a VfW codec ... well, an x264vfw does exist; but it is not recommended to store H.264 in an AVI container, because the AVI container is too old for this video format and does not support several features it requires from a container format. It should best be stored in the MP4 container. That requires software which knows much better than relying on the just as outdated VfW interface.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't that inferior to 8 bit/10 bit? I think I am wrong about that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, you are wrong here: It doesn't matter which interface you use to provide video frames to the x264 codec, it can encode them with 8 or 10 bit internal precision in any case.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you that in x264vfw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know, I don't use that one; quite possible that this VfW codec only supports 8 bit precision. But there is a workaround:

In the original VirtualDub (min. v1.10.x), you can set up external encoders and multiplexers, so you can set up an x264.exe and MP4Box.exe to produce AVC in MP4 out of VirtualDub. But it is much easier in VirtualDub2 which supports all that natively. And in addition, there are dozens of even more flexible converter applications.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Yes, you are wrong here: It doesn't matter which interface you use to provide video frames to the x264 codec, it can encode them with 8 or 10 bit internal precision in any case.
    Does x264vfw include 10 bit encoding and decoding? I haven't used (or installed it) in many years. The x264 encoder that comes with VirtualDub2 includes 8 and 10 bit encoding but it's not VFW.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    According to its description here in the VideoHelp software archive, x264vfw contains both the x264 encoder and also a decoder (probably libavcodec based, like ffvfw).

I installed it and looked into the DLL file; it contains the profile "High 10", so this way you can select 10 bit internal precision.

Anyway, I would not recommend using x264vfw; there are cleaner ways to produce AVC output using VirtualDub or other more flexible converters, and it does not belong in AVI containers anyway, always prefer MP4 (or MKV).

VirtualDub2 contains two separate x264 encoder plugins with both 8 and 10 bit precision (and the 10 bit version is only offered to sources with specific attributes, with tighter constraints): x264-8.vdplugin and x264-10.vdplugin.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    I installed it and looked into the DLL file; it contains the profile "High 10", so this way you can select 10 bit internal precision.
    I found an old computer with x264vfw installed. Both 64 bit and 32 bit versions were installed. But I saw no indication of 10bit support.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Oct 2022 at 18:57.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I never would had thought this but it looks like the VFW version is better than I thought. I just needed something for the MP4 container for when I convert the AVI to MP4 with Virtualdub or something else. Thanks for correcting me.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I also recommend reading a lot about the Virtualdub External Encoder feature. People shared their recommended presets there.
    Quote Quote