VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread
  1. I recently bought a bluray player, an LG because back in the day last time I bought one, LG played just about any file from a USB thumb drive.
    So I bought one and finally got around to using it and I inserted a thumb drive and the LG does not recognize it.
    It's formatted FAT 32, my computer recognizes it, my LG TV recognizes it but my new LG bluray does not!
    It's a simple 64gig thumb drive that I've used several times and had no problems with. Major brand, and as I said it works fine with the LG tv.

    Any idea why?
    DO LG blurays no longer play files like MKV? Even though the LG TV does?

    So what NEW bluray nowadays plays the most files - especially MKVs?

    Thanks.

    Please forgive me for not looking for this answer. I am in the middle of moving into an old house, doing repairs, on top of working and doing 10 other things, so if someone could just answer this simple (?) question I'd appreciate it!
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chicobueno View Post
    I recently bought a bluray player, an LG because back in the day last time I bought one, LG played just about any file from a USB thumb drive.
    So I bought one and finally got around to using it and I inserted a thumb drive and the LG does not recognize it.
    It's formatted FAT 32, my computer recognizes it, my LG TV recognizes it but my new LG bluray does not!
    It's a simple 64gig thumb drive that I've used several times and had no problems with. Major brand, and as I said it works fine with the LG tv.

    Any idea why?
    DO LG blurays no longer play files like MKV? Even though the LG TV does?

    So what NEW bluray nowadays plays the most files - especially MKVs?

    Thanks.

    Please forgive me for not looking for this answer. I am in the middle of moving into an old house, doing repairs, on top of working and doing 10 other things, so if someone could just answer this simple (?) question I'd appreciate it!
    Thanks.
    what model of LG Blu-ray player do you have ??
    did you try reading the instruction manual ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by chicobueno View Post
    I recently bought a bluray player, an LG because back in the day last time I bought one, LG played just about any file from a USB thumb drive.
    So I bought one and finally got around to using it and I inserted a thumb drive and the LG does not recognize it.
    It's formatted FAT 32, my computer recognizes it, my LG TV recognizes it but my new LG bluray does not!
    It's a simple 64gig thumb drive that I've used several times and had no problems with. Major brand, and as I said it works fine with the LG tv.

    Any idea why?
    DO LG blurays no longer play files like MKV? Even though the LG TV does?

    So what NEW bluray nowadays plays the most files - especially MKVs?

    Thanks.

    Please forgive me for not looking for this answer. I am in the middle of moving into an old house, doing repairs, on top of working and doing 10 other things, so if someone could just answer this simple (?) question I'd appreciate it!
    Thanks.
    what codec/bitrate is in mkv?
    what model lg player?
    what model lg tv?
    the answer isn't simple without this knowledge
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post

    what codec/bitrate is in mkv?
    what model lg player?
    what model lg tv?
    the answer isn't simple without this knowledge
    This.

    MKV and AVI are containers that can contain multiple different types of video and audio. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

    If you're on a PC, run Mediainfo and post what's inside your files.

    Blu-Ray players are very particular about what type of files they'll play, partly because of the Blu-Ray Association license. You TV on the other had has a built in media player, not bound by that license.

    I you want something that plays most video types, both container and codecs, get a standalone media player like an Android Box. Lots of discussion and recommendations here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/386414-Android-Box
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    So I bought one and finally got around to using it and I inserted a thumb drive and the LG does not recognize it.
    It's formatted FAT 32, my computer recognizes it, my LG TV recognizes it but my new LG bluray does not!
    Is your drive not recognized or the files don't play? If the drive isn't recognized, it may be your player doesn't support Fat32. Read your manual to see if there's any specifications on what type of filesystem is supported. If not specified, try formatting the drive to exFAT or NTFS if you're on a PC.

    Brand means nothing when it comes to new models and different lines from the manufacturer. Specs can differ according to what's available at the time and price range of the product.
    Quote Quote  
  6. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    Before you do anything else, read the Blu-Ray player's instruction manual (or at least post the player's specific model number here so that others might be able to see what restrictions you might be working with). As mentioned, BD/DVD set-top players do tend to be extremely picky about what they can and can't play from an external drive. I've even had instances in the past where a player refused to recognize a flash drive because it didn't detect anything it considered 'playable' on it (and that's not getting into the players that want to see the content in specific folders/directories...).

    Heck, for all I know, this could be a model LG decided to NOT to have the ability to play anything from an external USB drive.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    It would be easier to get a media player that has usb input that plugs into your tv's hdmi,i use an xbox one s and it(vlc)plays any type of media that my computer can play
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Search Comp PM
    It could be that your 64GB thumbdrive is too large and isn't reconized.
    Try with a thumbdrive of 32GB or less if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    It could be that your 64GB thumbdrive is too large and isn't reconized.
    Try with a thumbdrive of 32GB or less if that works.
    BINGO! I tried a 16gig instead of a 32 (or 64?) gig and it worked.
    Sorry I did not respond to earlier responses. I was going to finally give the name and model number of the unit ... then I tried the 16gig drive and it worked.
    Just been too busy to get over here to the computer and my phone didn't have this password...
    Anyway thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads