VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys I´m encoding some mkv videos that I have they are in 1080 and 2160, I´m confused because the quality, I mean the colors it´s not the same, I mean I encode from 2160p to 1080p and compared with the same movie but the mkv remux the colors of both are differents, take a look the screenshoot

This is from Bluray 1080p remux
    [Attachment 67062 - Click to enlarge]

This is from 2160p encoded in 1080p
    [Attachment 67063 - Click to enlarge]

As You can see there are different and I so confused and I so need to know if the second image colors are ok and I can go ahead or whats happens?

Thank You in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. input is HDR, output is SDR, but you missed doing an HDR to SDR conversion. Usually one would do an HDR->SDR conversion using some tone mapping method.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    input is HDR, output is SDR, but you missed doing an HDR to SDR conversion. Usually one would do an HDR->SDR conversion using some tone mapping method.
    Thank You I´m using DVDfab, I select an MKV SDR fro output and it will take as HDRtoSDR and the colors are just like the bdremux 1080, my question still there, which one of them you like to keep?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would keep the HDR version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would keep the HDR version.
    What does the HDR to the movie anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  6. HDR changes the way the luminance and colors of videos and images are represented in the signal, and allows brighter and more detailed highlight representation, darker and more-detailed shadows, and a wider array of more intense colors. read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_television
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDR changes the way the luminance and colors of videos and images are represented in the signal, and allows brighter and more detailed highlight representation, darker and more-detailed shadows, and a wider array of more intense colors. read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_television
    So, a movie with HDR is better than SDR?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    HDR changes the way the luminance and colors of videos and images are represented in the signal, and allows brighter and more detailed highlight representation, darker and more-detailed shadows, and a wider array of more intense colors. read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_television
    Only if you have a system that can play it back well.
    Many budget TV's don't do such a great job and in that case the SDR may well be better
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Many budget TV's don't do such a great job and in that case the SDR may well be better
    I understand, my idea is wach in PC, Laptop and when my budget let me do it, buy some tv that let me play all
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand, my idea is wach in PC, Laptop and when my budget let me do it, buy some tv that let me play all
    If the PC's or laptop's display isn't capable of processing HDR10, you can try using various software players that do tone-mapping. If you have Windows 11, its Windows Media Player and Movies and TV App can tone-map HDR10. Recent versions of PotPlayer, VLC, and MPC-BE can also tone-map HDR10. (These are just the ones that I have tried. There may be more.)
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    First Thank You for your help, and just for confirm, any movie with HDR es better than SDR? no matters colors change?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If the PC's or laptop's display isn't capable of processing HDR10, you can try using various software players that do tone-mapping. If you have Windows 11, its Windows Media Player and Movies and TV App can tone-map HDR10. Recent versions of PotPlayer, VLC, and MPC-BE can also tone-map HDR10. (These are just the ones that I have tried. There may be more.)
    Since I descover MPC BE for years I use it, I don´t know uderstand why people still using VLC if MPC BE is so simply
    Quote Quote  
  13. any movie with HDR es better than SDR? no matters colors change?
    That is too broad of a statement to confirm or deny.
    Just because a movie is HDR or SDR doesn't say anything about its visual quality being better.
    That is as wrong as saying that any movie with a higher bit rate must look better than the same movie with a lower bit rate.
    Neither bit rate nor color space is a definitive quality indicator.
    (Same goes for resolution, some DVDs of movies look better than their Blu-ray releases.)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Since I descover MPC BE for years I use it, I don´t know uderstand why people still using VLC if MPC BE is so simply
    Since the MPC-BE has a few bugs - it cannot recognize the default audio track, it has trouble distinguishing Full Range video from Limited Range.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    HDR is basically just a wider color and brightness standard for video (and pictures). SDR is standardized by Rec. 709 and HDR is standardized by Rec. 2020.

The difference comes through in a wider color gamut for HDR than for SDR. For brightness/luminance, the difference is in their "transfer function", which is difficult to explain and is basically just math.

Your TV or monitor's ability to display these different colors and brightness levels will depend on the manufacturer, even if it's listed as supporting HDR. You can think of it like a set of speakers - the speakers might be advertised as putting out 20Hz to 20KHz, but do they really?
    Quote Quote  
  16. HDR defines a wider range of colors and brightness than any current TV can display. It then becomes the TV's job to reduce the range to something that it can display, in a way that's best for that TV. So different TVs will look different when displaying HDR video, even when "perfectly" calibrated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try to find the so called pipet function, where you "pick" the white and black points in the footage otherwise you need pro software..
    Davinci Resolve ….
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by CursedLemon View Post
    HDR is basically just a wider color and brightness standard for video (and pictures). SDR is standardized by Rec. 709 and HDR is standardized by Rec. 2020.
    Rec. 2020 is SDR color space
    HDR is Rec 2100, based on Rec 2020

not sure why people with HD displays go for HDR content then complain.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    Rec. 2020 is SDR color space
    HDR is Rec 2100, based on Rec 2020
    Correct, my mistake. 2100 is the HDR addendum to 2020.
    Quote Quote  
  20. HDR and SDR. Try using madVR on mpchc
    Quote Quote