VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I would like to rip 4k UltraHD discs to my plex server. What is the best player and software to use for this project? I have a Windows 10 computer and a Synology NAS diskStation.

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Playing HDR-10 content is very hard in case you want to do it. Smart TV boxes and TVs themselve not always support HDR10 or maybe they do and badly play it. I'd suggest using something like mpchc with madVR on a PC. Now for the ripping part, I think you are better off having somebody explain that process to you
    Last edited by rrats; 1st Oct 2022 at 15:43. Reason: badly, not sadly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dzachau View Post
    I would like to rip 4k UltraHD discs to my plex server. What is the best player and software to use for this project? I have a Windows 10 computer and a Synology NAS diskStation.

Thanks for your help
    I don't run Plex, so I am not sure which file formats work best and I don't know which types of HDR Plex supports.

UHD ripping software requires a UHD Blu-ray drive or a "UHD friendly" Blu-ray drives that can be flashed with replacement firmware that makes the drive compatible with ripping software.

As far as ripping software goes, MakeMKV, DVDFab, and Slysoft all provide it. I am most familiar with MakeMKV, which I have used to rip a handful of regular Blu-ray discs. If you can use MKV files and full-bitrate UHD video and audio will work, I recommend MakeMKV. I know less about DVDFab's UHD ripping software. As I recall, DVDFab has more options for output files and can re-encode video for smaller file sizes. I know nothing about Slysoft's UHD ripping software other than the fact that it exists.

Until Microsoft and Intel between them disabled playback of UHD Blu-ray, I used Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra (versions 17 or higher) for playing my original UHD Blu-ray discs. Windows 10, Windows 11, and Power DVD Ultra are all compatible with HDR10 using a display that supports HDR10. (I have a monitor that supports HDR10.) I don't know if PowerDVD Ultra is a good choice for Plex and I am not sure what player software if any supports Dolby Vision. The only software that I have heard of with DolbyVision support are the apps for streaming services that offer it.

MakeMKV's forum has a ton of information about UHD Blu-ray ripping and compatible drives. I suggest that you do some reading there.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make MKV is excellent for ripping 4k UHD discs but I'm pretty sure Plex will not play the files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You need to either find a drive that has old firmware on it that works out of the box or most likely buy a drive and flash it w/ custom firmware. You can start here: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

As for getting Dolby Vision, HDR+10 etc. to actually play on your TV that's another issue. As was suggested go over to makeMKV forums.
    Quote Quote