VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Newbie here, and I imagine this has been discussed ad nauseum so I apologize for asking again...

I have transferred some VHS tapes using Vidbox (similar to Elgato, Roxio, etc.) to my imac. I now want to burn those files to DVD for viewing...do I need to use a program to deinterlace them first before burning? I only ask because when I burn the files the way they are now (mp4 straight from Vidbox) to DVD and watch them, there is some combing, artifacts, occasional blocking, and the picture seems slightly choppy or jittery compared to the original VHS.
    Thanks for the help

leed17

PS I do have a Panasonic DVD recorder and have used that to transfer VHS to DVD with great success, but I would like to be able to use the computer route for some of these VHS tapes as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is the footage interlaced?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is the ultimate question - I believe it is interlaced since it came from a VHS tape...? However, I do not know if in the process of transfer to the iMac with the Vidbox or Elgato devices, it becomes deinterlaced or progressive. That is what I am trying to figure out I guess. If it is interlaced, should I deinterlace before burning to DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVD fully supports interlaced video so there's no need to deinterlace. The real issue is whether or not the video has been corrupted by your capture process. You should upload a short colorful sample with significant motion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVD fully supports interlaced video so there's no need to deinterlace. The real issue is whether or not the video has been corrupted by your capture process. You should upload a short colorful sample with significant motion.
    I figured the Vidbox or Elgato capture devices would not be the best solution, but I don't know the ins and outs of capturing vhs to an imac and what other, better options are out there...I'm still learning

Is there another, better device or program I should investigate - without breaking the bank of course
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry, I don't know much about what's available for the Mac. I'm not saying your VidBox is bad -- I don't know anything about it. Which is why a short representative sample would be useful. Quality starts at the playback VCR. For best results you want an SVHS deck with a line time base corrector and decent capture device. You capture lossless or near lossless, then filter and encode.
    Quote Quote