VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Regularly I am burning in subtitles. This is going fine, but I always need to manually set flags to Yes, each time.

Now, when I start up MKVToolNix Gui, the flags are set to YES (Greyed out) (1)
    Upon adding a video file, together with the .srt, most flags are set to NO (2)
    I change them to YES and start multiplexing (3)

Any idea as to how to set them to YES by default when adding a video/srt file?

Or, maybe this isn't a good idea?

Thanks !

[Attachment 67031 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's very uncommon to set all flags to yes. May I ask why you'd want to do so?
    Quote Quote  
  3. As said, I want to have the subtitles burned in.
    Normally I would just set "Force Display">Yes only and that works fine. Subtitles show up.

However, now I have a few video files that do not display the subtitles even with Force Display=Yes.
    Just gave it a try and discovered that the subtitles are indeed displayed when setting all flags to "yes'.
    (I don't know why this is and I am not an expert, the only thing I want is to have them burned in AND displayed)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    As said, I want to have the subtitles burned in.
    A burned in subtitle is always shown, because it's a part of the video image.

Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    Normally I would just set "Force Display">Yes only and that works fine. Subtitles show up.
    With pc software players (like VLC player) yes, with most TV players no.

Just gave it a try and discovered that the subtitles are indeed displayed when setting all flags to "yes'.
    Yes flag for default and/or forced? How is the player supposed to know which subtitle to display if there are multiple subtitles?

The only thing I want is to have them burned in AND displayed)
    Displayed and/or burned in?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Matter solved.
    Don't know how or what happened earlier, but I just started all over again.
    Now the subtitles are burned in and visible/displayed with Force Display=Yes only.
    Am puzzled, but things are okay now. Surely I have done something wrong...

Really very sorry for the inconvenience folks, sorry!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitles aren't burned in if you have force display turned on.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What software are you using to 'burn in the subtitles'.

As you would know MKVToolnix doesn't have the ability to burn-in subtitles as part of the image.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am sorry for not responding. The matter was solved and frankly speaking, I forgot about this thread.
    Whilst cleaning up my mailbox I came across an unread email notification.

I still like to comment.

This is how I proceed :

1. launch mkvtoolnix-gui.exe
    2. add source files
    3. select .mkv and .srt files
    4. at pop-up "Add as new source files to the current multiplex settings" [OK]
    4. select the subtitle file, let's say, nl or und
    5. in the right hand panel, default track flag: yes, track enabled: yes, forced display flag: yes
    6. start multiplexing

a new file is created, "(1)" is added, both source files can be deleted.

The subtitle is now displayed by default.

Maybe the term 'burned in' is not entirely correct, but actually this is how I want it.
    As there is no 'separate' .srt anymore, I assumed that the subtitles are burned in then.
    Again, maybe the term isn't correct.

It works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Burned in subs are always shown since they are encoded with the video,your burned in subs is incorrect for what you are describing.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No the term"maybe burned in' is not remotely correct" the subtitles are not burned into the video as part of the video information, in the case of MakeMKV they are "embedded" or included along with extra soundtracks etc if needed in the MKV container. If necessary they could be removed later as a separate srt file if ever necessary.
    If you used a program like Handbrake or Vidcoder and selected to burn in the subs then indeed they would form a permanent part of the video and can no longer be removed other than by a nasty smudging process. In doing so the video would be re-encoded and lose some quality in the process and take considerably more time than simply remuxing a mkv container. It really does pay to ask the question using the correct terminology.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote