VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Thread
  1. First to last .. CCleaner comes in free and pro ($) versions, but they make it hard to find the free version on their site. Try this link: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard

The non-pro registration website is only needed when you are installing VRD. Once it is installed, if the registration website vanishes, you can continue to use VRD as long as you don't need to reinstall it. Pro licencing may be different and may require an ongoing connection with the pro registration server (or it may not, I have no idea).

My comment about Dan H generating new licences was for the non-pro version of VRD. And that was in response to someone's comment about where one could get a new licence for VRD. If *anyone* could possibly help with that it would be Dan H since he maintains the registration server for the non-pro version.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah i personally don't care nor am i interested about the Non Pro licensing and how it works because it doesn't impact me, my concern is with the continued support of the Pro version licensing, and yes it works in a completely different manner, and that is why Dan.H won't or cannot do anything about it.

Apparently Dan.H did ask the wife of Dan Rosen if she would sell VRD and apparently she is not, yet it is not making any money for there family, rather it is actually costing his family money to maintain the Pro activation server, so yeah, one has to wonder.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bridgy View Post
    I use to use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner as we called it back in the day) religiously on my machines, as well as my clients machines back in the day, and i am familiar with it's registry cleaner, but i had no idea it would clean up remnants from TMPGEnc so the trial might work again, so i will give it a go.

EDIT: they charge you for CCleaner now, only get 30 day trial.
    My (free version of) Ccleaner continues to update itself regularly, and I've never paid a penny for it. But they do keep on aggressively hawking their paid, Pro version. The free one is probably all most users might need.

Revo Uninstaller (which I think also has a free version ?) seems to be pretty capable, when it comes to finding and allowing you to remove shards and traces of past installed programs. At least, it has worked for me.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bridgy View Post
    So it seems that if we install and use just 1 of the TMPGEnc stand alone tools in trial mode, if it expires we can't install and use one of the others,

I just installed the trial of Smart Renderer and it tells me the trial has already expired, obviously because i already used Mastering Works in trial mode before.

Crazy and stupid idea by Pegasys.
    Are you sure ? I have often used their different software in trials at different times. Could it be that years ago you used a Smart Renderer trial but just forgot about it ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DigitalDelboy View Post
    Are you sure ? I have often used their different software in trials at different times. Could it be that years ago you used a Smart Renderer trial but just forgot about it ?
    Never used Smart Renderer before in my life (apparently i have now, please read post below) up until 2015 or 16 i used TMPGEnc Xpress 4 or 5, which i paid for, but that was 9 years ago and i had a different laptop back then, so it is impossible, and i never even looked at TMPGEnc ever again until i found out about the potential VRD licensing issues in the future.

My Mastering Works trial was about 6 months ago i think (nope it was 18 months ago, brain fade again) and so i can't use it again, but i thought that because Smart Renderer and Mastering Works being 2 separate tools, each would offer its own trial period, obviously not, Pegasys seems to only let you have a total of 30 days trial regardless of which of their tools you try.

I will send them an email to ask how it is supposed to work (no need to now)
    Last edited by Bridgy; 31st Aug 2024 at 20:53.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No need to Email Pegasys now, it was my mistake believing that i had never used Smart Renderer 6 before i tried it the other day, apparently i did according to the Trial Period expiry box that i get when i open it, it started on 8/7/2023, but i seriously do not recall trying it.

[Attachment 81897 - Click to enlarge]

Apparently my Mastering Works 7 trial started way back on 3/10/2023 and it only seemed like 6 months ago, so it just shows how time flies by.

[Attachment 81898 - Click to enlarge]

My apologies for the confusion and my apparent brain fade, i am 68 so the memory really is going bonkers after all
    Quote Quote  
  7. Bridgy: I have to agree that it's odd that Dan R's family are uninterested in selling the rights to the software. Maybe one day they'll change their minds. Of course, if VRD is sold, there's no guarantee the new owner will cater for existing licences.

Being of the same vintage, I can well understand brain fades.

Seeker47: Revo uninstaller does come with a free version.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marayong View Post
    Bridgy: I have to agree that it's odd that Dan R's family are uninterested in selling the rights to the software. Maybe one day they'll change their minds. Of course, if VRD is sold, there's no guarantee the new owner will cater for existing licences.

Being of the same vintage, I can well understand brain fades.
    Nobody should ever buy VRD unless it came with the existing license activation servers or whatever they are so that current users can still use what they paid for, but a new owner could maybe improve or change the way the current Licensing and activations work.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Should, yes, however if VRD is ever sold I'd imagine the buyer would only be interested in the software and would have no interest in existing licences, which are debts and not assets of the VRD business.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should, yes, however if VRD is ever sold I'd imagine the buyer would only be interested in the software and would have no interest in existing licences, which are debts and not assets of the VRD business.
    How can existing customers be a debt to the existing VRD business, or to the new owners, all they are doing is maintaining the activation service, so why would a new owner not want to carry that over as part of the sale, and why would the owners of VRD (Dans wife) allow that to happen anyway, it makes no sense to exclude the current license owners, who by the way should actually be a priority to keep for the new owners.

I put this scenario to you and see what you think, this applies to Australia, maybe not elsewhere.

If Subaru Australia sold out to another company, my 2 year old Forester will still be covered under the purchasing agreements made and offered by Subaru when i bought it, so my 5 year warranty, my 5 year fixed price servicing, and my 5 year free Australia roadside assist must be maintained and offered by the new owner as part of my purchase agreement of the vehicle with Subaru and the Subaru dealership.

Given that VRD is still ongoing to it's existing lifetime license holders, a new owner would and should be bound to continue supporting them, that is the way it works from my perspective.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Back on Topic

Hi again, ok i was going thru my program folder this morning, this is where i keep all of my software installers stored, and right at the top of the list was a folder called Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate

I checked the date in the notepad file and it mentioned 2021, version 10.2.12, so it got me thinking about how i got this, and why i actually had it, and then i realized that Aiseesoft was a video editing tool that was being used by a good friend of mine in Sydney who i had been tutoring online on how to use his new VRD Pro that i put him onto around that time, which was around 2021 now that i think of it.

After many months of frustration on his part, and mine too, he just gave up on VRD and continued using this Aiseesoft editing tool for his Youtube video work, he was a guy who was very difficult to teach, and he was just too set in his ways with Aiseesoft as he had been using it for several years prior, he was also using MovieMaker 2012 offline version to make all of his slideshow videos too.

I now recall him actually buying me this portable version of Aiiseesoft to help him with some of his bigger projects as he was moving on to 4k videos around that time, so i had to quickly learn how to use this Aiseesoft so that i could help him.

I had vague memories of using this software, but just before when i opened it up onto my desktop i started recalling bits and pieces of how it worked and what it could and could not do, and if i recall, it seemed to be a very decent editing tool, so i am going to play around with it for a while on some of my own 4k/60p HEVC files and see what it does, and i will report back here as soon as i can.

Obviously mine is at least 3 years old or more, so i will update my version to the current 10.3.18 version and hopefully there have been a lot of changes made over that time, and i noted that i had not even registered my copy yet.

https://www.aiseesoft.com/video-converter-ultimate/

[Attachment 81918 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Bridgy; 2nd Sep 2024 at 01:54.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Existing customers would be a debt to any possible future new owners of VRD since those customers would have paid the previous owners and not the new owners - the new owners would be maintaining an activation service for users who have not paid a cent to them.

If VRD was ever sold then the most likely scenario would be the new owners would create a new version, say VRD 7.0. Since in the past a VRD licence was only for that major release and subsequent minor releases (eg 5.0 to 5.9 but not for 6.0), any future owners would take the line that those with older versions are welcome to continue use them, but they would only provide support for the versions they produce. I've encountered this sort of thing before with software. Comparing software to, say, a car, is not valid since a car comes with a warranty, whereas with software once you unwrap the CD (in the past) or download the software, the warranty expires. And that's true in Australia and elsewhere. This very limited warranty was introduced to stop people purchasing software, installing it and then trying to return it & get their money back .. whilst continuing to use the software. Hence no warranties with software, except in rare cases where the software can be demonstrated to be so buggy as to not work and that would be for all users, not just one.

I don't know about VRD pro, but whilst one could get a lifetime non-pro licence, that did not apply to future updates. This is a different type of licence to a lifetime one that comes with not only a lifetime of service but also all future updates (at no further cost). Implicit in the fine print with either type of 'lifetime licence' is that 'lifetime' applies to whichever is the shortest of the user's lifetime or the software company or the software product itself. You may have a lifetime licence, but if the company folds, that licence terminates. Should someone buy the software code, they get rights to the code, but have no legal obligations to licence holders with the previous owners. If new owners do honour the licences, it would be voluntary on their part and no doubt motivated by the belief if they do so many old licence holders will buy new licences from them.

Definitely let us know how Aiseesoft goes. My requirement is a software that allows me to chop unwanted bits out of videos from various sources including cameras, phones and a video capture card (the last as ts) and save them as either mp4 or mkv, with frame by frame editing and robust error correction, all of which VRD does perfectly. Videos made using video capture cards can contain glitches that cause many common video players to crash and also causes stability problems with video editors other than VRD. I use VRD for other things for which I have other software options, but not the aforementioned. Maybe there's other software that now does all of that, but when I looked into what was on the market (some years ago), other than VRD the only software that would have met my needs was very expensive professional grade stuff ... and since I'm a home user not a production studio, those other options were off the table.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i have played with Aiseesoft enough to know that there is no way i would ever use it.

1. it seems that the cutting tool is not frame accurate, you can cut in 1 second intervals or frame by frame, but the resulting output is not accurate.

2. there is no Smart Render feature, although it does have a vast variety of output preset profiles which you can change, or just create your own Custom Output Profile, still you need to know and understand Bitrates, Codecs, and Containers to use this option.

3. OMG this is bad, the output files seem to have this horrible Milky film over it, and when you take a screenshot of a given frame and screenshot the same frame in the source file, and flick between them, you really notice how bad this is, and i have never seen this effect before in any video application.

It almost reminds me of Raw Video that requires Color Correction and a bunch of other enhancements that you might get in apps such as Premier etc.

I stopped doing any more testing, these 3 results above were enough for me to close it and never use it again.

NOW to an email that i sent to Pegasys in Japan regarding the trial versions and if each of their different tools had it's own trial period, i just got their reply, each does have it's own trial period.

[Attachment 81921 - Click to enlarge]

Also in that email it says in that Smart Renderer 6 is a Lossless Frame Level video editor, with Smart Rendering, however i was very surprised to read that the Video Mastering Works 7 Does Not have Smart Render functionality, but it does allow output to other formats, which Smart Renderer 6 cannot do.

This seems rather strange to me, given that it is meant to be their fully fledged editing tool, and the most expensive, so why would they not include the same Smart Rendering process from Smart Renderer 6 as well, so that we only need to buy one of their tools.

Seems like i would need to buy both of these tools to process my video files because when i record my 4k/60p videos at 80 or 144Mb/s i always trim or cut them as required, and Smart Render them back to their original format so that these become my master files for archiving, as well as for outputting to other formats as required, also using VRD with it's built in presets or one of my own custom output profiles.

To do the same thing with TMPGEnc i would need Smart Renderer to cut my files and Smart Render back to their original format just as VRD does, but i will need Mastering Works 7 to output to other Formats if/when required, because any file that requires output to another format must be fully encoded.

I could take them into a tool like Handbrake and output them from there, but using Handbrake requires me to know and understand their RF Quality Factor presets, something that i always had issues with when i was using it many years ago.

I am sure there are many other encoding tools that i can use that uses a Bitrate mode setting for outputting to other formats instead, which for me is much easier for me to use.

QUESTION for anyone using TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 7.

Has this tool got any built in Output Preset Profiles just like VRD has that allows me simply import a given file such as one of my 4k/60p HEVC files, and then just select the profile that i want and TMPGEnc will output the file from that, so that i don't need to create a custom profile.

Cheers
    Last edited by Bridgy; 2nd Sep 2024 at 03:30.
    Quote Quote  
  14. That was my conclusion with TMPGEnc when I looked at it many years ago. I would need to buy two of their products to do the same thing that VRD did. Well here's to cloning my boot drive into successive future computers to keep VRD going until I shuffle off to push up the daisies.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That was my conclusion with TMPGEnc when I looked at it many years ago. I would need to buy two of their products to do the same thing that VRD did. Well here's to cloning my boot drive into successive future computers to keep VRD going until I shuffle off to push up the daisies.
    Actually, thinking about it now, i don't need Smart Renderer for my initial trimming and joining and smart render back to original format for archiving.

I just opened the LosslessCut tool and found out how to import multiple files with the exact same format and join them together without re-encoding, which LosslessCut can't do anyway, and i had no idea that this tool can join files like this, i thought it could only trim out a single file and join it back together for output.

All i did was import 2 of my camera files 1 by 1 and cut what i needed from each, and i then chose the Merge/Concatenate File option button up the top and selected the Merge button to output them, and it can join these tools faster than my VRD Pro can, and that is saying something.

[Attachment 81923 - Click to enlarge]

I can then buy Mastering Works 7 to use for outputting to other formats, adding a title, or doing other more advanced stuff that VRD can do.

If i don't need any other features and just want to output my files from LosslessCut to other formats, i just use a free Encoder like Handbrake or something like that, then i don't need to buy any software at all.
    Last edited by Bridgy; 2nd Sep 2024 at 04:34.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Looking at Losslesscut it's a GUI for ffmpeg, so it's odd that it can't save to other formats since ffmpeg itself can convert between formats

Looking at the dev's website, which is on github, it says it can save to different file formats (with restrictions) and, especially of interest to me, can convert from ts to mp4 and it can losslessly cut out adverts from stuff recorded off tv. With that it would perform the main basic functions that I use VRD for, so it's an alternative for me. First released in 2016 and it has 112 contributors, so if the head dev drops the project (or shuffles off), the project may survive.

FFmpeg itself is however not as fast as VRD for most things and adding a GUI will slow it down some more.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't lose sight of what only VRD does: frame-accurate smart-cutting/rendering. I understand one of the TMPGenc does the same. All these other "smart" cutters, of which AVIDemux is one, only smart-cut on iframes. Of course, VRD has to do a full render to the next iframe, but after that it smart-render. No other program (apart form TMPGenc) does that. This feature is, of course, required for cutting out ads.

I see LosslessCut says, as a feature (on VH, at least): "Smart cut (experimental)".

If VRD was re-introduced to the market, I would happily pay a reasonable price for it, and I have been using it for 16 years.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Alwyn, at a pinch Losslesscut may do, but it's still second rate compared to VRD, so I agree 100%.

And I would likewise happily shell out for VRD if someone bought the code and re-released it .. as long as they don't butcher it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Don't lose sight of what only VRD does: frame-accurate smart-cutting/rendering. I understand one of the TMPGenc does the same. All these other "smart" cutters, of which AVIDemux is one, only smart-cut on iframes. Of course, VRD has to do a full render to the next iframe, but after that it smart-render. No other program (apart form TMPGenc) does that. This feature is, of course, required for cutting out ads.

I see LosslessCut says, as a feature (on VH, at least): "Smart cut (experimental)".

If VRD was re-introduced to the market, I would happily pay a reasonable price for it, and I have been using it for 16 years.
    It is Smart Renderer 6 that has frame accurate cutting like VRD, Mastering Works does not have it according to the Email that i got from Pegasys, and i find that quite rediculous to be brutal.

Is the Smart Cut/Render feature in TMPGEnc and VRD the same as each other (is there a connection between both) or do they vary slightly in the way they work, and what is it about this Smart Cut/Render feature that prevents the developers of other software to implement it as well, it just seems strange to me.

Does the more expensive professional editing software such as Premier Pro and others have Smart Cut/Render by any chance ?

The Smart Cut in LosslessCut is not working, probably never will either.

I also did forget to reference in my previous post that LosslessCut is not Frame Accurate and that it is only accurate when cut on every key frame, which i now recall testing a few days ago, but with what i do, i can accept that, given each Keyframe on my 4k/60p videos appears to be every 1 second, or 60 frames in LosslessCut.

So it looks like if you want or need to have frame accurate cutting and render, TMPGEnc Smart Render is your only option outside of VRD.

And yes, i was always happy to pay a lot more for VRD than the cheap price they were charging back in 2016 when i bought mine, and i upgraded to Pro in 2018 when i was experimenting with other features in my video editing, then came the 4k support, which required Pro to use fully, and that was when Dan Rosen asked me to be a Beta tester because he knew that i was experimenting with, and had started recording 4k video with my cameras, and then came HEVC a while after that, and now all my recorded video is shot in 4k/60p HEVC mode.

I should try to contact Dan Haddix to find out if he knows anything in regards to who currently has the server for the Pro Licenses, where it is, and how much it costs to maintain each year.

No doubt if the family of Dan Rosen still has it in their home, they are not going to part with it if they are not prepared to sell VRD any time.

Maybe a group of VRD users could get together and pay for the cost of maintaining that server, maybe even add the Non Pro licensing stuff to that as well.

And I would likewise happily shell out for VRD if someone bought the code and re-released it .. as long as they don't butcher it.
    I may have mentioned it before, but if the current owner of VRD did sell it, or sell the Coding for the software, they should make it very clear that it is to be kept in it's current format, because if i bought it, i certainly would not be removing or changing any features, nor change the way it works, maybe a few changes to the user interface would be ok.
    Last edited by Bridgy; 2nd Sep 2024 at 10:49.
    Quote Quote  
  20. So the choices now, as in the past, are VRD, professional studio uber expensive software or more modestly priced software that doesn't come near what VRD can do. So as I said before, long live cloning!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not really that bad as far as i am concerned, definitely don't need the likes of expensive tools such as Adobe Premier or anything like that.

If i find that i really do need frame accurate cutting (cut on any frame) and Smart Render back to it's original format, then i am happy to buy TMPGEnc Smart Renderer 6 for $100 Australian, to me that is cheap these days for a tool that can do this stuff, i just need to find out if i can import multiple files of the same format to cut, and then smart render them to 1 single file, because i do a lot of this these days.

I think i did ask in a previous post but never got a reply, and i can't find it mentioned in the Pegasys website.

I also know that with a lot of my less important recorded videos i can get by without precise frame accurate cutting, so i can get by with LosslessCut which only seems to work properly cutting on every keyframe (every 60th frame which is 1 second of time in my videos) but at least it Smart Renders the file back to it's original format, and it will allow adding multiple files of the same type to be cut and joined into 1 single file, which is great.

If either of these options work for me, then i don't need any paid for software to output my files to other formats, there are several very good free applications out there that i can use, such as Handbrake just to name one.

I think it is totally unfair of Pegasys to sell Mastering Works 7 for US$122 and not have the smart render component, but i figure that they knew that if users wanted Smart Render they had to pay extra for that tool too.

For me, the only thing that i would buy Mastering Works 7 for is the ability to add titles, and use their built in output presets to convert to other formats, it just won't allow smart rendering after cutting files.

To buy Smart Renderer 6 and Mastering Works 7 will cost me about US$192 or AU$280 which i guess is still cheap for what it offers, just needs 2 separate tools to do the same job i can do in VRD, or as i said before US$70 or AU$100 for Smart Renerer 6 and a freebie encoding too to convert to other formats.

I can't remember what i originally paid for VRD the normal VRD back in 2015, but when i upgraded to Pro in 2018 i had to pay an upgrade fee and i initially had issues with the activation until Dan Rosen sorted it all out for me, but i always said in the old VRD forum that VRD was too cheap, yet we had a lot of scumbags in there bitching about the cost of Pro, i always told them to go away and pay a lot more for something else, or find a free tool to use, however these idiots knew that there was nothing else around at that time that came close to VRD.

I have no idea what VRD Pro would sell for these days, but i would pay more for it now than what i would have to pay for Smart Render 6 and Mastering Works 7.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I've been using VRD since about 2004, which meant buying a new licence for every major version up to v.6. If someone bought the rights and came out with a v.7, given the amount of use I get out of VRD and that it is essentially unique in what it can do, I'd happily shell out a few $100 for v.7 .. as long as it had the same capabilities. I didn't go for the pro version, mostly because I had no need for 4K support & the standard version did everything I needed. I don't use titles, so if VRD ever stops working, I'll probably go with Losslesscut, less for the price than it kinda does what I'd need, tho' nowhere near as good as VRD. But with boot drive cloning now fully supported by windows, I will endeavour to keep my current VRD licence alive as long as I can.

I checked and in 2021 I paid the huge sum of A$32 for the v.5 to v.6 upgrade, tho' upgrades were considerably cheaper than new licences. And yes, I'm another Australian user.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just checked my purchase notes in my VRD Folder, i bought Version 5 in Feb 2013, i can't remember if that was a Pro version or not, i bought the first version 6 Pro upgrade in 2018 for US$60, and in 2020 Dan had to re-do my whole registration because of a glitch in the activation server.

So you are using Version 6 non Pro i assume, does that have any 4k and HEVC support, or is that limited to 1080p AVC and other formats.

These days a lot of people still can't get their head around the need for 4k, and many still won't touch HEVC (h.265) either, but when i moved over to recording my 4k/60p videos in high bitrate HEVC i never looked back, i'm talking about 80Mb/s up to 150Mb/s.

Most late model 4k TV's now can play HEVC video files, and also very good at upscaling low resolution files too, but they can look pretty crappy if they are only lower bitrate files, which is why i try to use a decent bitrate for lower resolution outputs such as 1080p.

If i only have a single 4k/60p HEVC file for a project i just import that, trim it out, and smart render it back to it's current format using a custom profile that i made that is set to "Same as Source" and that is retained as my master file, i then add a title at the start and a credit at the end only if it is needed, it's an old habit from my standard definition DVD Authoring days when i used to film weddings for clients.

If i have 2 or more files recorded for the same project i import each one individually, trim it out, and add that to the Joiner List, when all files are done, i open the Joiner tool and output using the "Same as Source" profile.

These files are retained as my master files, the originals are then deleted once i am happy with the trimmed out files.

After i complete a file i leave it in 4k/60p HEVC, but i also downscale it to 1080/60p HEVC as well when needed using another 1080p "Intelligent Recode" custom profile in VRD.

Unfortunately not all phones or TV's will support HEVC, i mean the slightly older ones, so sometimes i do need to output some files to AVC h.264 as well for these people.

Amazing how much storage space is saved using HEVC over AVC, it turns out to be around 30 to 35% in my experiences, and much quicker to upload into my IceDrive cloud storage service to share with other people when needed.
    Last edited by Bridgy; 3rd Sep 2024 at 08:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've been using VRD since about 2004, which meant buying a new licence for every major version up to v.6. If someone bought the rights and came out with a v.7, given the amount of use I get out of VRD and that it is essentially unique in what it can do, I'd happily shell out a few $100 for v.7 .. as long as it had the same capabilities. I didn't go for the pro version, mostly because I had no need for 4K support & the standard version did everything I needed. I don't use titles, so if VRD ever stops working, I'll probably go with Losslesscut, less for the price than it kinda does what I'd need, tho' nowhere near as good as VRD. But with boot drive cloning now fully supported by windows, I will endeavour to keep my current VRD licence alive as long as I can.

I checked and in 2021 I paid the huge sum of A$32 for the v.5 to v.6 upgrade, tho' upgrades were considerably cheaper than new licences. And yes, I'm another Australian user.
    I can't remember what I paid for the upgrade but I guess being in Australia it was about that. V4 and older versions were on long gone computers but I still run V5 and V6 a lot. Which one depends what I an editing and what I want to do with the file. VRD does almost every thing I want to to do except reverse the video or speed it up. The latter I get by with windows movie maker but does anyone know a good program that will change a video to reverse (ie. play backwards)?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bodø Glimt View Post
    I've been using VRD since about 2004, which meant buying a new licence for every major version up to v.6. If someone bought the rights and came out with a v.7, given the amount of use I get out of VRD and that it is essentially unique in what it can do, I'd happily shell out a few $100 for v.7 .. as long as it had the same capabilities. I didn't go for the pro version, mostly because I had no need for 4K support & the standard version did everything I needed. I don't use titles, so if VRD ever stops working, I'll probably go with Losslesscut, less for the price than it kinda does what I'd need, tho' nowhere near as good as VRD. But with boot drive cloning now fully supported by windows, I will endeavour to keep my current VRD licence alive as long as I can.

I can't remember what I paid for the upgrade but I guess being in Australia it was about that. V4 and older versions were on long gone computers but I still run V5 and V6 a lot. Which one depends what I an editing and what I want to do with the file. VRD does almost every thing I want to to do except reverse the video or speed it up. The latter I get by with windows movie maker but does anyone know a good program that will change a video to reverse (ie. play backwards)?
    try with ffmpeg - https://ottverse.com/reverse-a-video-using-ffmpeg/
    Quote Quote  
  26. Bridgy. I have no need for 4K, so I stayed with the non-pro version. Neither of the tvs are 4K compatible, nor any of the cabling and my eyesight is less that ideal and any benefits of 4K would be lost on me. Ditto my wife's eyesight is less than ideal. Dunno offhand if the non-pro version offers HEVC support or not, but that also comes with hardware compatibility issues (ie the tv). Both of our tvs are old (over 15 years), but are still working fine and don't have a single dropped pixel ... so why replace them given our eyesight isn't good enuf to justify the cost of going up to 4K. I also do my video recording with a capture card and higher bitrates are a lot more demanding on the computer. The card I have supports up to about 25mb/s bitrate. More than good enough with my eyesight.

Bodo: Reversing a video? Not looking for hidden satanic messages by any chance?

There are some online tools, all with limitations. You can use ffmpeg using the following:
    ffmpeg -i original_movie.mp4 -vf reverse -af areverse new_reverse_movie.mp4

This command will reverse both the video and audio streams. A lot of references I found online will only reverse the video stream, resulting in a bizarre reversed video where the audio & video play in opposite directions & are totally out of sync.

There is a caveat and that is that because of the way ffmpeg handles this it will only work on short videos up to no more than 10minutes in length. Anything longer than 10mins and you'll need to break the video up into <10min chunks, reverse them individually and then combine the reversed chunks. That can all be done with ffmpeg. For instructions refer to this page:
    https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/17738/how-to-use-ffmpeg-command-for-reverse-video

FFmpeg will of course reverse any video format that it can handle, not just mp4

The issue with longer videos is that ffmpeg has to load the whole video into active memory, uncompress the whole video, reverse it, recompress it and then save it again, all in active memory. With a long video, even if you have over 100G of ram, your system will quickly grind to a halt, probably necessitating a hard reboot (as in turning the power off and then back on again rather than a o/s shutdown since your o/s will be unresponsive).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'll have a look at it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's all gobbledygook to me. I just want to open a program, select a video, click reverse and save it.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Bodo ... ok,. you need a simple GUI based approach. Can you provide a bit more detail on what you'd like to do? What is the filesize of the video you'd like to reverse? How long (in minutes) is the video? What's file format?

Oh, and are you willing to pay for software to reverse the video or are you only after a free option?

Next question ... would you be able to make do with a video player that could reverse the direction of the video, so a temporary reversal, not a permanent one?

The solution you are after would be dependent on those questions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have various snippets from motorcycle trips that I want to make play backwards and then maybe join them with other clips (so a permanent one). They aren't very big. The longest probably about five minutes but most of them would be under a minute. Format is .mp4. Paying isn't an option (within reason) if it works.
    Quote Quote