VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I suspect this is the wrong place to post this but I did not see anything specific to webcams.

I am attempting to connect two webcams (Logitech C-920 & C-922) to my Dell XPS13 (i7 Win-10) laptop via USB-A to record music practice sessions via OBS Studio. This machine only has two USB-A ports (one USB-C); I need access to at least three USB-A ports (2 cameras + an audio interface). Therefore, I would like to connect the webcams to a 4-port USB hub. However, when doing so I am only able to view one camera at time; the other remains blank. I disabled the laptop’s onboard camera thinking this may help but still only one camera at a time. If I plug one camera into the hub and one directly into a port on the laptop it works fine. If I plug both cameras directly into USB ports on the laptop it also works fine.

In the past the 4-port hub worked fine with my old Win-7 i5 HP Pavilion laptop. I suspected a newer, faster, more powerful, etc. machine would have worked better not worse. I understand trying to connect numerous webcams could be a problem but I would think simply hooking up two to a newer computer would not be an issue. Oh well. . .

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is your usb hub connect to your laptop via usb A or via usb C. Am pretty sure the C port would have greater bandwidth, and that might be what is limiting usage of 2 cams. You might need to get a different hub to accommodate this, though.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moved the thread to computers where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Is your usb hub connect to your laptop via usb A or via usb C. Am pretty sure the C port would have greater bandwidth, and that might be what is limiting usage of 2 cams. You might need to get a different hub to accommodate this, though.

Scott
    It connects through the USB-A port. I have ordered a couple USC-C to A adapters so maybe that will help but I'm not being to optimistic.
    Last edited by EssKayKay; 29th Sep 2022 at 09:25.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Thank you very much. I wasn't sure where to post.
    Again, much appreciated. . .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EssKayKay View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    see this here - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/369928/multiple-wecams-on-windows-...ognizes-1.html
    Last edited by october262; 29th Sep 2022 at 02:30.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by EssKayKay View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    see this here - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/369928/multiple-wecams-on-windows-...ognizes-1.html
    I did see that thread. It's a bit confusing since it states Win10 does not recognize two cameras. However, I have Win10 on my older HP and it works fine so I don't think its an OS thing. Maybe a powered USB hub would help. I'm going to try that next.

Thanks for your suggestion and concern - again, much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    USB A --> C adapter will not help w/ bandwidth issues, because the hub would be the limiting factor here, unless that hub is USB A v3.0 or maybe even v3.1.

I'm betting you need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-HDMI-Adapter-Bundle-PowerExpand/dp/B08ZCC9DFM/ref=sr_1_30...%2C105&sr=1-30

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    USB A --> C adapter will not help w/ bandwidth issues, because the hub would be the limiting factor here, unless that hub is USB A v3.0 or maybe even v3.1.

I'm betting you need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-HDMI-Adapter-Bundle-PowerExpand/dp/B08ZCC9DFM/ref=sr_1_30...%2C105&sr=1-30

Scott
    Thanks Scott, I will look into something like this. I need three USB-A ports but I'm sure something's out there.

Again, much appreciated,
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  10. UPDATE -
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I cut to the chase and did a complete Win10 reinstall. What a pain but all is working fine now. So apparently it was some OS setting or possibly a driver that was causing the problem. Oh well, I'm back in business.

Thanks again,
    Steve K.
    Quote Quote