VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a ton of old Chicago Bulls VHS tapes from the 90's, and a lot of them are transferring pretty good in my opinion.

I am however having some issues with certain tapes. I'm using a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V into a capture card.

I'm getting a lot of jump and jitter in the output on certain tapes. I'll attach a video link showing what I mean.

I often have strong vertical jump. While adjusting tracking, I can get less vertical jump at the cost of introducing noise on the bottom of the screen. If I use tracking to reduce the noise on the bottom, I get more vertical jump. There is also clearly horizontal jitter as well.

I'm outputting with S/VHS.

Do I need a different VCR? Have this one "repaired/cleaned"? I don't think it's inherent to the tape, as I do have a Sony RDR VX530 which has a more stable video output but with an electronic buzz in the audio.

I could probably capture the audio from one and the video from the other, and combine them in Adobe Premiere, but that's a last resort.

Please excuse any terms I've used incorrectly, and if a mod wants to move this thread somewhere more appropriate, have at it.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Panasonic DMR-EZ48V clip - https://youtu.be/gProgUuNdLQ
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Characteristic for a worn head.

Edit: cheap capture card?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yikes! I have an EZ48V (PAL), admittedly brand new, but it is rock-solid on the tracking. It's TBC qualities are on the same level as the famed ES-15. In fact I often use it instead of the ES-15.

I suspect that yours needs some work, judging by the wobbly picture, although as RGR says, it could be the capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Capture device is El Gato (I know I know) but I don't think that's the issue as I've transferred some tapes and get some good results.

If it's a worn head, or the vcr needs work, what's my next move? Look for people who service vcr's locally? I'm in Chicago so I suspect I can find someone.

Thanks for the feedback btw.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    The new head is unlikely to be available. At least at a price that will be profitable.
    It will probably be cheaper to look for a "new" VCR.
    Quote Quote