VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I don't have a specific use case in mind but it's a weird hobby of mine to find niches that are not well served by modern technology. I'll explain the criteria in the post title and maybe someone can suggest an older pro(sumer?) camcorder. Budget could stretch to $1000 on the used market.
    1. 3CCD: I found the complaints about rolling shutters in this thread rather compelling. A global CMOS shutter would also suffice, but that probably blows my budget.
    2. native 576p50: I like the 4:3 aspect ratio, and 576p50 is the highest resolution 4:3 standard. Native is necessary to use the viewfinder to frame shots and I'd rather not have to crop. 768 x 576 would be great (square pixels) but maybe this was never an option? I could settle for 480p or lower frame rates. If I want HD I can always use something more modern, and a lower resolution is an interesting constraint that can be beneficial in some ways.
    3. SD card: I already use these and it would be great to not have to add more equipment.

I am worried that SD cards were introduced only after the 4:3 aspect ratio was eliminated (despite the name...), but I already typed this out so prove me wrong! Also curious to hear recommendations if the SD card requirement is relaxed.
    Last edited by bleb; 22nd Sep 2022 at 20:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The closest thing I've found so far is the JVC GY-HM150U. Looks like it records 720 x 480 at 60i with tall pixels, to an SD card. 1/4" 3CCD sensor. E version does 720 x 576 at 50i.

If I want a 1/3" 3CCD I could use an external recorder with something like a Sony VX2000 or a Panasonic AG-HPX170. Anyone know if a good external recorder could yield 480p60 if the camcorder itself only records 480p30 or 480i60? Like if the limiting factor is the recording media?

Panasonic AG-HMC150 records to SD cards but only in widescreen and only 24 Mbit/s (compared to 25 Mbit/s for uncropped standard definition from the AG-HPX170). Can put brackets or black bars around the 4:3 area which helps.

Other options I've found which meet some criteria but fall short in major ways: Aiptek ISDV2, Vivitar DVR503, Panasonic SDR series, Panasonic GH4/GH5, Panasonic HDC-SD1/ AG-HSC1, Digital Bolex D16, SI-2K (don't know much about these last two but can't find them for sale anyway).

All ears if anyone has other ideas for shooting in 4:3 to affordable solid state media. I've been wondering if I could make my own "camcorder" out of an industrial 3CCD camera with separate lenses, recorder, and battery pack. Seem feasible?
    Quote Quote