VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if the Pioneer GGV1305 Service Disc is compatible with a Pioneer DVR-560H recorder, to replace a dying hard drive?

I gave a donation to Hkan years ago for the 1305 service disc, to upgrade the hard drive in my long gone, old DVR-543, in which the dvd burner died a few years after. I then bought the DVR-560H, which has been great up until now.

Can I use the 1305 disc to replace the hard drive in the DVR-560H, or do I need the GGV1321 disc?

I found an ISO image of the GGV1321 disc here: https://archive.org/details/pioneer-ggv-1321-type-2

I do not think it is a working copy though, because it is readable in my pc dvd player. It shows a bunch of .BIN folders. (unless I did not burn it right, I used ISOburn to burn the disc, finalized) This disc should not be readable in a pc, should it??

If I cannot use the 1305 disc, where can I get a good copy of the GGV1321 disc? Can Hkan still be contacted somehow, for info, or a possible download link?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Nobody knows ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly, but unknown for sure.

The Service Manual for the UK/Euro models
    DVR-LX61D
    DVR-560HX-S
    DVR-560HX-K

Says;

The x60 series all came out in 2008, both in UK/Euro and Canada.

The last comprehensive ID data disc listing show the GGV1305 was a preceeding disc that covered earlier models.

The "list" is from an "English" adjacent language speaker.. so the use of the term "Substitute" is open to interpretation.. it might mean its a Substitute "for" a previous disc.. or an indirect reference to when Pioneer and Onkyo stereo systems were being serviced by the same shops.

The System Programming discs appeared to be released in "Epochs" over time to cover a "Tools / Jigs" release schedule.. which was not exactly linear. Some might be released in parallel, so there was some over lap.

Someone, a long time ago, started referring to the DVRs in groups, called "Type1" or "Type2" and referring to the ID Discs as members of the "Type1" or "Type2" discs.

The last ID disc I'm aware of is the GGV1321
    Last edited by jwillis84; 21st Sep 2022 at 04:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    Looks like I need the 1321 disc. Anybody know if the link in my first post for the GGV1321 disc is a good, working copy?
    There is an ISO file for the GGV1321 disc, and a Torrent file there also.
    I downloaded the ISO file, and burned it with "ISOburn", but the disc is readable in my PC's dvd drive. I read somewhere that if the disc can be read on a PC drive, that the copy is no good, and should NOT be readable in a PC.
    So, is this ISO download link for the disc no good, or am I burning it wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    Looks like I need the 1321 disc. Anybody know if the link in my first post for the GGV1321 disc is a good, working copy?
    There is an ISO file for the GGV1321 disc, and a Torrent file there also.
    I downloaded the ISO file, and burned it with "ISOburn", but the disc is readable in my PC's dvd drive. I read somewhere that if the disc can be read on a PC drive, that the copy is no good, and should NOT be readable in a PC.
    So, is this ISO download link for the disc no good, or am I burning it wrong?
    i believe you have to use a CD-R disc - https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/pioneer-dvr-420h/4554
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DVR-420 is a "very" old model, the middle digit represents the year of issue.

So the 420 is four years or generations older than a 560

The GGV ID discs Hkan used to make available often came as Nero .nrg files not .iso files, but by the time of GGV1321 he was allowing them to be downloaded as .iso files and recommending burning those with Imgburn or iso recorder.

I think its a matter of "size" the GGV1321 .iso file is 1.6 GB in size that will not fit on even the largest CD-R so it has to be a DVD.

Also over time the DVD drive in these recorders varied in the media they preferred or would read. DVD-RW versus DVD+RW or DVD-R versus DVD+R

I "believe" the preferred media is/was up until the end DVD-R media.

Occasionally you could get DVD-RW media to work in certain models, but not all. A weak laser could also sabotage the ability to read any media.

DVD+RW "in theory" is better.. since it had registration tracks on the disc.. but came so late in the game almost no one had a DVD drive that could read it, other than HP and a handful of oem's Outside computers DVD+RW was almost never used in DVD recorders.

So your best option is a handful of DVD-R media.

I say a "hand full" because you only get one shot at making a DVD-R media before its used up, and because you may have to burn it a couple times to get a "good one".

The "best" GGV1321 is a DVD-R disc you know is good from someone that has used it before in a DVD recorder to perform the procedure your trying to do.

Even better is if they used it in a DVD recorder that is the exact same model as yours.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did mess around with making one or two at one time several years ago, five-ish ? Around 2017

I don't know if I still have this disc.

I was learning how to use a DVD label printer at the time

Last edited by jwillis84; 22nd Sep 2022 at 21:44.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did check the md5sum on the page from archive org that you provided in the original message post.

It did match the one I got years ago, and that worked for me in a Pioneer DVD recorder.

If you get that image and run an md5 checksum tool on it and the checksum matches, there is a fair chance that it will work.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry for the late response to all, as I was away on vacation.
    Thanks to all for the replies!
    I tried the Md5 checksum tool for the GGV1321 Type 2 iso download, as jwillis84 suggested, and it matches perfectly. (thanks jwillis84 !)
    The disc is burnt and ready to go!

Is there a way to test this disc without actually replacing the hard drive?? As I am still waiting for my replacement hard drive to arrive, and I want to be sure that the disc will work correctly.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the only test that matters is if the DVD recorder accepts it and completes the step of writing the ID of the new drive to the recorder. Orsetto probably has the most personal experience and could offer failure mode guidance. I believe the default failure mode is if the disc is not accepted, the old hard drive remains paired to the recorder.. but that doesn't really help since you wouldn't be trying to do this unless that old hard drive is no longer working. You also can't go backwards, and re-associate an old hard drive with recordings on it "as if" it were a VHS tape or video game cartridge.. changing the ID makes the recorder totally forget how to play the recordings on that old hard drive.. so just emphasizing.. this is a "repair procedure" not a regular owner procedure.
    Last edited by jwillis84; 1st Oct 2022 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
    I think the only test that matters is if the DVD recorder accepts it and completes the step of writing the ID of the new drive to the recorder. Orsetto probably has the most personal experience and could offer failure mode guidance. I believe the default failure mode is if the disc is not accepted, the old hard drive remains paired to the recorder.. but that doesn't really help since you wouldn't be trying to do this unless that old hard drive is no longer working. You also can't go backwards, and re-associate an old hard drive with recordings on it "as if" it were a VHS tape or video game cartridge.. changing the ID makes the recorder totally forget how to play the recordings on that old hard drive.. so just emphasizing.. this is a "repair procedure" not a regular owner procedure.
    Thanks jwillis84, I guess I will just have to hope for the best, and try the disc when my new hard drive arrives.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well if it doesn't work out maybe I can hunt up one of my old GGV1321 DVD discs an send it to you.

Its quite a dance with the service remote and not pushing the tray back into the recorder after updating the ID.

The tendency is to do that and it can cause the whole thing to not work.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ohh so nice someone share GGV 1321 Type 2 disk... I have also 560H and I wanted change hdd to ssd and tweak dvd recorder to fast connect/disconnect ssd with data

and btw this guy I think he talking about hack to take off hdd limit sounds very hard..
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/306345-some-problem-with-DVR560H-s-HDD-replacement#post1906393

But another trick what I know is change model to LX61 using service remote and we can use 250GB data space.

[Attachment 67121 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by prodarek; 7th Oct 2022 at 09:20.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whoa.. slow your roll there pardner.

Look deeper into "hacking" the Size limits and changing the Model Identity.

You'll find that a trail of tears that end in people "bricking" their recorders entirely, or at the very least, severely crippling them.

People discovered ways of "modifying" without understanding recorders, flipping bits in service modes.. and in some cases by soldering resistors on the mainboards.

It worked on very specific Asian models, and only in very specific cases.. not the North American or Euro models.

Read.. all the way.. to the ends of those threads.. I don't think a single person didn't eventually end up leaving the hobby because they couldn't buy another to replace what they lost.

By then they were no longer for sale.

These were very simply made with custom CPU chips that could not address large drives, and had to treat the drive space literally like "tape" and had severe limits on the total number of recordings.. and got slower and slower as they got filled up.

Everyone agreed they wanted something "more like a PC" and just as flexible.. that was not these.. these are closer to the steam punk mechanics of a blender. Their limits are not something your can just "hack up" and fix with a software or firmware update.

A lot.. of people ran all kinds of head canon and conspiracy theories to justify.. experimenting with their prized possession .. "anonymous THEY are just trying to keep it from me.." et. al. Those corrupt Hollywood producers are trying to restrict how many recordings we can make.. ect..

It was much more simple than that.. a physical limit in the designs.

I would not get so greedy as to think you can "make it work" like a PC 20 years newer.. these are not running Linux or Windows.

Read the threads .. to the end.. notice how many just stop posting.. or go away.. or come back years later and say they had to move on.. because they dorked up their recorder.. and it was stinky old tech anyway.. and they only use streaming services anyway and have no need of a DVD recorder anymore.

SSD's kinda, sorta work.. but its a risky proposition.

First ATA/IDEs SSDs are very rare these days, and that leaves ATA/IDE to SATA Adapters and a SATA SSD, or M.2

The IDE to SATA adapters come in many flavors of chipset; some are not smart enough and don't support all the features needed in a DVD recorder, like master slave; or they are too fast or too slow at booting when powered on the DVD recorder mainboard checks to see if a hard drive is attached.

I thought for a long time there was a magic formula.. like the Philosophers Stone.. one method to Rule them all.. and never found one combination of IDE to SATA adapter and one type of storage that worked for "all" DVD Recorders.. it was different even within one brand, from one generation of recorders to another.

Unless you have a very specific recipe and example for a specific Brand and Model of DVD Recorder.. every attempt is a brand new experiment that can fail.

And worse.. some DVD recorders require a special ATA command that retrieves a Unique "Hard Drive Identification Number" that has to be the right format and length or it won't work.

Its just really not all that simple.. as much time and labor as I spent seeking the universal solution.. I never found one.

We live in interesting times.. hardware "emulation" of ATA IDE drives are being sponsored for retro-gaming rigs and cabinet arcade games.. that come from the 1980's .. they have many of the same issues.. there is still hope one universal replacement for IDE hard drives will come about.. but its not here yet.
    Last edited by jwillis84; 7th Oct 2022 at 11:27.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
    If something go wrong with new SSD, back to old HDD should be not problem?

The next puzzling thing is what happens when I try a 128GB drive hehe

this is hdd from pioneer 560.
    [Attachment 67123 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 67124 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah.. starting with the specific Brand and Model.. Pioneer DVR-560H, your past the point where they made the leap from ATA IDE hard drives to SATA hard drives.

So it should be easier to test a SATA SSD or a m.2 SSD

Other common attempts are with SATA to CompactFlash, or SDHC cards .. but I would not recommend them.

I have been playing around with Laptop flat ribbon cables to snake out a hard drive connector to a drive or m.2 chip carrier .. but nothing I'd really like to share right now.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ok I can confirm GGV 1321 works, I tried 2.5 hdd 1000gb but not ssd because I have only 128GB models.

[Attachment 67125 - Click to enlarge]

I used logitech harmony hub to pioneer service remote and DVD-RW disc.
    and manuals https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/401166-Pioneer-450h-HDD-service-disc#post2614203
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170820115957/http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/replace_...question=Part1
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170820115806/pioneerfaq.info/english/replace_HD.php?play...question=Part2

----

old hdd also works after I put him back to pioneer dvr.
    Last edited by prodarek; 8th Oct 2022 at 07:50.
    Quote Quote  
  18. If the original drive is still working you could try another method to change the drive.
    With my panasonic dvr I have changed the drive by copying the first 100mb from the original drive to the new drive.
    After mounting the new drive, the panasonic dvr asked to format the drive. After formatting the drive worked without any issue.
    I have used HxD Hex Editor to copy the first 100mb to the new drive.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Wow nice info.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I tried 120GB SSD and working and I must say... recorder now working like rocket haha awesome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    now maybe create an ISO of that 100MB and then anyone can do that without needing their old and possibly DEAD HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post

First ATA/IDEs SSDs are very rare these days, and that leaves ATA/IDE to SATA Adapters and a SATA SSD, or M.2

The IDE to SATA adapters come in many flavors of chipset; some are not smart enough and don't support all the features needed in a DVD recorder, like master slave; or they are too fast or too slow at booting when powered on the DVD recorder mainboard checks to see if a hard drive is attached.

Do you have any experience with Panasonic recorders? with ATA drive and sata adapter?, I have EH65..
    Quote Quote  
  23. My new generation pioneer dvr 560h with SSD , yee I know I know ... just I had to much time.

Quote Quote  
  24. So I bought cheap dvr 540 adapter IDE to sata

1TB available

1. I tried put this hdd to dvr 560 but I got "CPRM Err" > service disc > but after this is 160GB.
    2. I put hdd to dvr 540 > service disc > again 1TB
    3. I put hdd to dvr 560 E01 error

I have failed..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it work as a 160GB HDD format ? If so, perhaps there is a service CD or firmware hack to make HDD larger?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to see this thread is still running, and happy to offer my advise on what I've been doing with x50s and x60 machines for many years.
    The x50s can "initialize" a hard drive up to 1TB, but the x60s can't. I've been using Seagate Video-type hard drives, which can currently be purchased (perhaps used) for under $30. Since I have both x50 and x60 machines, (ie, DVR-550, DVR-560), I initialize the hard disk first in the 550 using the "service remote/ID disc" procedure, AND, format it with the user menus. THEN, I put the disk in the x60 machine (including DVD-660) and initialize it again, but DON'T format it. Now you have a 1TB drive in a Pio 560 or 660! Also I leave the covers open, put the hard disk on top of the DVD-writer "upside-down," and easily change the hard disks every month or two (I record a lot!)

Incidentally, I did try an EIDE to SATA adapter to put a 1TB hard disk on a PIO-640, and it did work! But, I did not keep that configuration because I couldn't close the case with the adapter in place (at the time I still wanted to), and also, I was concerned the machine might run out of memory during a "Repairing Hard Disk" operation (which btw, does take 7+ minutes on a -550/-660 with a 1TB drive!)
    --Gary
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes, I heard about it before, but I didn't have the opportunity to buy the 550 to test it on my 560. Nice to see someone confirming this.
    Quote Quote