VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have a professionally produced NTSC DVD from 2008 that visually appears to be in perfect condition. No matter how I view it there are numerous black lines that appear only from the top of a frame and extend down, but not all the way down. It reminds me of an old film. My guess is it might have been shot on film and then transferred to DVD (badly), or perhaps the manufacturer added the noise to make it seem old. It just seems odd.

I've tried different players and the lines are always in the same spot so I doubt it's the player. Other than the black lines the DVD plays perfectly. If I extract the VOB files the lines remain.

I also doubt it's possible to eliminate these lines (other than going frame by frame and editing). If I'm wrong about this please let me know!

Thanks in advance.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crop.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	66655  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I see a pull cord for a ceiling fan switch.
    Is that "line" moving when camera moves or is it static and not moving?
    Cut and post a short video sample of that artifact.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If that ceiling fan pull cord really is the black line you want to remove, and if it doesn't move around the screen, Delogo (VirtualDub plugin) should be able to remove it. Here is a tutorial I created for how to remove a dust sensor spot, but the same technique can also be used to remove a static black line:

Delogo VirtualDub Filter Tutorial
    Quote Quote  
  4. The lines only exist on single frames and occur randomly...sometime a minute apart and then a whole bunch separated by just a few frames or a few seconds. The artifacts are not static; they jump around but only last a single frame.

I'm beginning to feel that these were intentionally added to simulate something "old."

I appreciate the tutorial, Delogo VD, but as I said these are not static.

I think there is nothing to be done about the thousands of these lines but I appreciate the feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The artifacts are not static; they jump around but only last a single frame.
    DeSpot, KillerSpots, SpotLess, might be able to help then.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you post a sample, you'll get a LOT more help. The motion compensated version of RemoveDirt might do the trick. I second Selur's suggestion of Spotless.

If the artifact only exists on one frame at a time, and does not show up on adjacent frames, then you might be able to use this script I developed:

Finding individual "bad" frames in video; save frame number; or repair
    Quote Quote