VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have a satellite receiver dvb (4k prime) that supports 4K HDR, HDR10, HLG, UHD 4K 60fps HW decoding, H.265 HEVC 10-bit, but the problem is that these channels 4:2:2 do not appear, I just listen to the sound and the screen is black, knowing that the TV is Samsung 4K ?? can any body help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe there is a setting on the TV that needs to be changed. Which Samsung TV model do you have?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. The TV probably doesn't support 4:2:2 AVC or HEVC. 4:2:0 is the usual subsampling.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, I tried to test it on more than one TV and changed the settings, but I still suffer from this problem, as they say that only 4:2:2 works with satellite cards.

the 4:2:0 working good, the encoding on 4:2:2 !

are there converters that help in the process of watching 4:2:2 on TV ؟
    Last edited by alkhan; 10th Sep 2022 at 23:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The TV probably doesn't support 4:2:2 AVC or HEVC. 4:2:0 is the usual subsampling.
    Probably true, but some newer Samsung TVs have a setting they call "Input Signal Plus" which looks like it allows the TV to process video with 4:2:2 subsampling. To be honest, I don't fully understand when this setting can and should be used. I found references to it in the E-Manual for a Samsung TV that I was looking at. See https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202203/20220303092001587/OSNATSCB-3.2.0_...G_220216.0.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you not see that the hdmi cable may be the reason and it is necessary to choose another cable that supports 10 bit ??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, the cable may not have sufficient bandwidth for 10 bit 4:2:2 (at the frame size, frame rate, and cable length you're using).
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Sep 2022 at 00:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, alkhan. HDMI cables are ALL identical in their support of bitdepth. What you are saying is misdirection.

Bandwidth will affect what combination of rez, framerate, & ditdepth, but a "high speed" cable is just one whose rating has been certified reliable at that distance. Not necessarily the same thing.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the manual for the TV from https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202011/20201116153100517/KM2ATSCN-3.1.0_...G_201023.0.pdf There is a section on page 95 that says the following:
    Viewing UHD videos

Settings-> General External Device Manager->HDMI->UHD Color

If an external UHD player is connected to the TV, use the HDMI UHD Color function to convert the TV's HDMI connector to a mode optimized for the UHD 50P/60P signals:
    • When you select the HDMI connector you want to use for HDMI UHD Color, and then press the Select button to set the HDMI UHD Color function to On, the TV screen flickers.
    • The HDMI connection with HDMI UHD Color set to Off supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:2:0 input signals, while the HDMI connection with HDMI UHD Color set to On supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 input signals. For more information, refer to "Supported Resolutions for UHD Input Signals."
    • When you connect the TV to an external device that supports only the UHD 24 or 30 Hz frequency or any FHD frequency, the HDMI UHD Color function may not be available. In this case, set HDMI UHD Color to Off.
    If the UHD content is 50p or 60p, then you could try turning on the HDMI UHD Color setting
    Quote Quote  
  10. Image
    [Attachment 66694 - Click to enlarge]

Yes This setting

Still black screen only sound coming
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alkhan View Post
    [Attachment 66694 - Click to enlarge]

Yes This setting

Still black screen only sound coming
    The HDMI UHD Color setting is not available unless the video is 50p or 60p. Is it possible that your satellite receiver is delivering 24p or 30p UHD video? In that case, the TV is limited to 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

Regarding the HDMI cable: Your TV and your satellite receiver have HDMI 2.0 ports. HDMI 2.0 has a maximum 18Gbps bandwidth. if you want to see if a different HDMI cable makes any difference, you could try an ultra high-speed HDMI cable that is rated for 48 Gbps. That class of HDMI cable is more than sufficient for the HDMI connections you have available.
    Quote Quote  
  12. any good brand hdmi cable speed 48 Gbps to tray
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    any good brand hdmi cable speed 48 Gbps to tray
    I bought a Zeskit brand 48Gbps certified ultra high-speed HDMI cable for my UHD Blu-ray player. I chose it because it had many positive reviews, had been certified for 48GBps, and seemed well-made. However, there are undoubtedly many other brands that make HDMI cables with the same certification and equally good construction.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Sep 2022 at 16:54. Reason: left out a word
    Quote Quote  
  14. Attaching video and pic

Still sound only and black screen
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220913_143905.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	66753  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since changing the UHD HDMI Color setting did not work and using a better cable changed nothing, then the TV itself has to be the cause of your problem. Your TV can't display 4:2:2 video at the resolution and frame rate that your satellite receiver delivers to it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes, I will return the HDMI cable !

Is there a TV that real supports 4:2:2 4K H.265 (HEVC) ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by alkhan View Post
    Only uncompressed video travels over HDMI. So when watching a device via HDMI it doesn't matter what codec was used. I originally thought you were trying to play media files directly on the TV. In that case the TV must have a decoder that supports the video codec (and audio codec) and features used in each media file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @jagabo, since HDMI v2.1 there has been an optional compressed transmission format, using VESA's DSC which is a lossy but visually lossless 4:2:0 codec built into v2.1 xmit/rcv chips meant for compacting very high bandwidth feeds, like 8k and above. It isn't really pertinent here, but I thought you might want to know that option does now exist.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Cornucopia, thanks for that update. I'll read up on it...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will try to find a TV by looking at the 2022 Samsung TVs sold where I live (the USA). Unfortunately, sometimes other countries have different models for sale than what is sold here. Also, the characteristics of a model that is sold in N. America can be slightly different than the characteristics of the same model sold outside N. America.

However, I have some questions for you. I hope the answers you provide will help me find a TV. The TV is receiving uncompressed 4K video from your satellite receiver via HDMI, at some frame rate that the TV supports. Do you know the frame rate (fps = frames per second) at which the video is delivered to the TV? Also, how did you confirm that the uncompressed HDMI video output from the TV is 4:2:2 chroma subsampling with a 10-bit bit depth?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @alkhan I have looked at 2 Samsung 4K UHD TVs so far. The manual says both TVs have the same restrictions on 4:2:2 video that your present TV has.

It occurs to me that there is one possible cause for your problem that has not been eliminated. Are you absolutely certain that the satellite receiver can decode the type of HEVC video being delivered to it? I want to be sure that the satellite receiver is not the problem before I go any further. There are many more TVs that I have not looked at yet.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi
    usually_quiet

SATELLITE 4K UHD TV SET-TOP BOX
    HD BOX 4K PRIME

SPECIFICATION

CPU and memory
    • Quad core processor: Hisilicon Hi3798Mv200
    • RAM: 1 GB (DDR4)
    • Flash memory: eMMC 8GB

Decoder
    • Control Protocols: DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & USALS
    • Symbol rate: 1 ~ 45 Ms/s (QPSK of DVB-S/S2)
    • Video decoder: H.265(HEVC) 10bit, H.264(AVC, MVC), MPEG1/2/4
    • Encapsulation: T2-MI, T2-MI Multistream
    • Modulation DVB-S2: QPSK/8PSK/16APSK/32APSK

TV signal format
    • Satellite TV: DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-S2X
    • IPTV: M3U, Stalker Portal, XSTREAM, Android APP

Conditional access
    • Access card slot: 1

Connectors
    • LNB IN
    • Ethernet (RJ-45 connector) 100Mbps
    • 2хUSB port 2.0
    • Composite audio/video output
    • HDMI
    • Remote control IR sensor extension

Other
    • Video resolution: 480p,576p,720p,1080i,1080p,4k
    • Support 4Kx2K: 3840x2160@24Hz, 3840x2160@25Hz, 3840x2160@30Hz, 4096x2160@24Hz, 3840x2160@50Hz, 3840x2160@60Hz
    • Video format: TS, MKV, FLV, MOV, AVI, MP4, M2TS
    • Wi-Fi Support: Via USB Adapters
    • Dimensions: 148x32x110mm
    Quote Quote  
  23. The video recording extension is- TS - but not playing ! black screen same when streeming
    Quote Quote  
  24. I see no indication that HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit is supported.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The tv doesn't support 10 bit I think because can't choice
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    usually_quiet

SATELLITE 4K UHD TV SET-TOP BOX
    HD BOX 4K PRIME

SPECIFICATION

CPU and memory
    • Quad core processor: Hisilicon Hi3798Mv200
    • RAM: 1 GB (DDR4)
    • Flash memory: eMMC 8GB

Decoder
    • Control Protocols: DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & USALS
    • Symbol rate: 1 ~ 45 Ms/s (QPSK of DVB-S/S2)
    • Video decoder: H.265(HEVC) 10bit, H.264(AVC, MVC), MPEG1/2/4
    • Encapsulation: T2-MI, T2-MI Multistream
    • Modulation DVB-S2: QPSK/8PSK/16APSK/32APSK

TV signal format
    • Satellite TV: DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-S2X
    • IPTV: M3U, Stalker Portal, XSTREAM, Android APP

Conditional access
    • Access card slot: 1

Connectors
    • LNB IN
    • Ethernet (RJ-45 connector) 100Mbps
    • 2хUSB port 2.0
    • Composite audio/video output
    • HDMI
    • Remote control IR sensor extension

Other
    • Video resolution: 480p,576p,720p,1080i,1080p,4k
    • Support 4Kx2K: 3840x2160@24Hz, 3840x2160@25Hz, 3840x2160@30Hz, 4096x2160@24Hz, 3840x2160@50Hz, 3840x2160@60Hz
    • Video format: TS, MKV, FLV, MOV, AVI, MP4, M2TS
    • Wi-Fi Support: Via USB Adapters
    • Dimensions: 148x32x110mm
    I saw all of the same information when I visited the product page at https://dreamlite.tv/hdbox-4k-prime

Based on what the product page says, one would expect the HDBox 4K Prime's 4K HEVC decoding to work. However, the product page does not give any details about which HEVC levels and profiles are supported. It needs to support the HEVC levels and profiles used for UHD satellite transmissions.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Sep 2022 at 13:06.
    Quote Quote  
  27. But when I play the recorded video on the computer, it works and I can watch the recording by video programs such as (vlc)
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are saying that the picture above is a page displayed by the satellite receiver? There is one option listed for YCbCr 4:2:2, which doesn't show the color-depth/bit-depth like the other chroma subsampling options in the list. Does this page just describe the chroma subsampling for the video or can you select any of the other options shown?

But when I play the recorded video on the computer, it works and I can watch the recording by video programs such as (vlc)
    Please open the file containing your recording in MediaInfo Use View->Text, to create a detailed report in text format, then copy the contents of the window. Paste the copied report to a post so we can see it. Maybe that will help us to better understand the problem.
    Quote Quote