VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am wondering if there is a copy of Handbreak for Windows 7? If not is there a good free alternative? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I believe Handbrake switched to a recent GUI package that no longer supports Win7. You can download older versions from this site.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/HandBrake/old-versions

I believe 1.3.3 is the last version that's fully compatible with Win7.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DaveB69 View Post
    I am wondering if there is a copy of Handbreak for Windows 7? If not is there a good free alternative? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    see here under WINDOWS - https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/system-requirements.html
    looks like the last compatible version is 1.3.3
    Quote Quote  
  4. So Which one should I get or should I look for an alternative to Handbreak?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So Which one should I get or should I look for an alternative to Handbreak?
    if you're looking for an alternative to handbrake, then you might want to look into FFmpeg or Avidemux, File Converter, VidCoder and XMedia Recode
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't Vidcoder use Handbrake? It would probably have the same issues working with Win7 as the 'normal' Handbrake.

DaveB69: I'd say grab version 1.3.3 of Handbrake (just go to the Tools page for Handbrake here on VideoHelp, click on Download HandBrake old versions, and scroll down until you find the 1.3.3 builds), and see if that works for you. If not, try earlier versions.

Since it is possible to compile Handbrake from source, I'd wonder if someone could compile an unofficial build that's compatible with Win7. There have been some on this forum doing that for mkvtoolnix as the latest versions likewise don't work with Win7 - mosu insists upon using the latest versions of the Qt framework, which no longer support Win7. (Hmm. Does Handbrake also use the Qt framework for its GUI? If so, that could be the reason it doesn't work with Win7.)

NON-OFFICIAL Windows-builds of MKVtoolnix. - VideoHelp Forum
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can confirm Handbrake version 1.3.3 working on my Windows 7 pc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that latest versions of HandBrake and VidCoder needed .NET Framework 6. Therefore being unfit to run on Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If that's the case, could someone possibly get around that by recompiling Handbrake for use with mono, rather than .NET proper?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Doesn't Vidcoder use Handbrake? It would probably have the same issues working with Win7 as the 'normal' Handbrake.

DaveB69: I'd say grab version 1.3.3 of Handbrake (just go to the Tools page for Handbrake here on VideoHelp, click on Download HandBrake old versions, and scroll down until you find the 1.3.3 builds), and see if that works for you. If not, try earlier versions.

Since it is possible to compile Handbrake from source, I'd wonder if someone could compile an unofficial build that's compatible with Win7. There have been some on this forum doing that for mkvtoolnix as the latest versions likewise don't work with Win7 - mosu insists upon using the latest versions of the Qt framework, which no longer support Win7. (Hmm. Does Handbrake also use the Qt framework for its GUI? If so, that could be the reason it doesn't work with Win7.)

NON-OFFICIAL Windows-builds of MKVtoolnix. - VideoHelp Forum
    here it says that Vidcoder uses Handbrake as its encoding engine - https://vidcoder.net/
    then down below under Prerequisites it says "You do not need to install HandBrake for VidCoder to work"
    Quote Quote  
  10. I still use VidCoder on Win7 - both versions, stable and beta, installed. What I do is I unzip portable version and drop all files into folder of installed version. Recently I did some DVD ISO to mp4 (h.264, aac) and it worked. Error window popped up every time, but job got done. At least stable version was OK. Beta version worked for some time, but after a few episodes began to stop in the middle. Probably at the beginning of the second pass.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    If that's the case, could someone possibly get around that by recompiling Handbrake for use with mono, rather than .NET proper?
    Well, in this case at least, the problem is not exactly the .NET thing, but the programmers who insist on using always and only "the latest and greatest " version of the Windows-centric wannabe Java.
    Handbrake is just a GUI for several other tools, none of which (AFAIK) requires Windows 10, so why the heck a GUI for those tools should require Windows 10
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I vaguely remember the Handbrake devs as being adamant that people move on (to newer standards and OSes, etc.), when they dropped Xvid support, and support for 9X/ME (or was that XP?). So it wouldn't surprise me if they used a toolchain that required the 'latest and greatest.'
    Quote Quote  
  13. I downloaded Handreak 1.3.3 and installed it. It seemed to be working when after a few minutes my laptop turned off. Is this an issue with the program or my laptop? ☹️🤬
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded Handreak 1.3.3 and installed it. It seemed to be working when after a few minutes my laptop turned off. Is this an issue with the program or my laptop? ☹️🤬
    Did your laptop overheat? Check the temps
    Quote Quote  
  15. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded Handreak 1.3.3 and installed it. It seemed to be working when after a few minutes my laptop turned off. Is this an issue with the program or my laptop? ☹️��
    MAYBE your laptop just went too hot
    I don't have a laptop anymore, but when I had, well, I never used it for video encoding because of possible issues with excessive heating :–/
    My ancient quadcore desktop goes noisy like hell whenever it does a full-HD HEVC encode.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 13th Sep 2022 at 18:17. Reason: clarity
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded Handreak 1.3.3 and installed it. It seemed to be working when after a few minutes my laptop turned off. Is this an issue with the program or my laptop? ☹️🤬
    check and see that your cooling fan is running and the vents are not clogged with
    dust. are you running handbrake off of your laptops battery or is it plugged in ??
    also what are your specs for your laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  17. It must of been overheating. I got an extetnal fan going and it is still going.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1.4.2. works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yeah, there is a version of Handbrake available for Windows 7. You can go to their official website to download it. But if you're looking for a good free alternative, you might want to check out windows keys. It's a popular choice and has similar features to Handbrake. Give it a shot and see if it fits your needs. Let me know if you still have any other questions.
    Last edited by JeffreyHamilton; 4th Sep 2023 at 05:35.
    Quote Quote