VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm ripping DVDs created by me. I want to keep menus. But VOB files are wrong splitted
    (every 1GB sometimes in the middle of someone speaking)
    I tried DVDDecrypter file mode with "file splitting" set to "none"
    This works as I expected. It create one VOB every title (for exemple merge VTS_04_1.VOB with VTS_04_2.VOB)
    But I lost menus.
    What I a doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1GB VOB size is the official DVD spec.
    If you are just copying DVDs....rip to an image the reburn the image file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i solved my problem:
    It was stupid. DVD-Decrypter renamed VIDEO_TS.VOB to VIDEO_TS_MENU_1.VOB.
    I renamed back and menu is working (on PC, not tested on real DVD)

But You say, DVD-VIDEO won't play if VOB files will be over 1GB?
    So, maybe there is any option in DVD Decrypter that move this split to nearest chapter
    or in nearest completely black silent frame ?

EDIT:
    I'd like to copy DVD to DVD and also make backup on HDD (with menus but not ISO).
    I'd like to be able to play it also from USB HDD. I know that menus won't work, and my TV plays VOB files.
    The problem is that there is little freeze when file change. Sometimes when someone speaks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I suggest DVDVob2Mpg to make one large MPG from a DVD file structure. This is of course lossless and very fast.
    It is recommended to have a standalone MPG file rather than a standalone VOB file. VOBs are not meant to be played by themselves, even though it works fine in many cases.

The 1 GB limit is because in a DVD-structure files are not allowed to be larger than 1 GB. When played as a structure, the splitting is seamless.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok. Thanks for advice. I will merge to mpg but I don't reccomend too big files (>4GB) becouse of problems with fat32 pendrives. I think I will have one file/title (about 2GB)

Btw. I burned my modified VIDEO_TS yo DVD-RW. Files was over 1GB, but under 2GB. Ashampoo don't throw any errors. Files was not splitted during copying. Tested it on 3 different brand stationar DVDs (one is about 15 years). And it's working. Many producents don't respect standards...
    Quote Quote