VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I normally watch 4K 2D Bluray remuxes on my PC connected to a 65" TV with MPC-HC. I sit 1.7 metres away from the TV.

Would a VR headset or AR headset such as Nreal Air give a better experience for watching a 2D 4K Bluray remux than on my 65" TV? How do you actually watch such movies on a VR headset, do I need special software or something? I assume I can't use MPC-HC?

Does 2D standard definition look just as good on a VR headset than on a TV? Does the VR headset upscale just like a TV does?

Would a VR headset look like watching a 100" or larger TV? Is the picture quality better because the real size of the image is small compared to a large image size on a TV?

What headset would you recommend for the best picture quality and comfort?
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 29th Aug 2022 at 07:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which TV are we discussing? Without that information how do you expect anyone to say whether or not your TV is any good for watching 4K movies?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. The question wasn't about watching movies on the TV, it was asking if watching a movie is better on a VR headset than a TV. Just assume it's a good TV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    The question wasn't about watching movies on the TV, it was asking if watching a movie is better on a VR headset than a TV. Just assume it's a good TV.
    No, the TV does matter. If your TV is good for watching UHD HDR movies, let's say one of the better 4K TVs from LG or Sony, it will be better than many VR headsets for watching UHD HDR movies. The resolution and color space for these TVs is better suited for displaying UHD HDR video than the majority of current VR headsets.

VR is intended for displaying 3D video. If you wanted to watch 3D Blu-ray a VR headset could be an acceptable replacement for the discontinued 3D-capable HDTVs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My apologies. Here's my TV's model: Sony Bravia XR-55X90J
    Maybe I should have phrased my question better. Regardless of what TV I have, in theory if I had a good 4K TV with HDR then is watching a 4K 2D movie better/worse/same on a VR or AR headset compared to the 65" TV?

I'm only watching 2D 4K HDR movies or 480p-1080p DVD/Bluray remuxes. It sounds like a VR headset is only good for VR stuff NOT for watching 2D stuff. Is that correct?
    What about AR glasses?

I might still get a headset for watching movies even if it doesn't support HDR. My previous TV didn't have HDR and the colours still looked amazing on that.

Rest of my questions as per my original post.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    I'm only watching 2D 4K HDR movies or 480p-1080p DVD/Bluray remuxes. It sounds like a VR headset is only good for VR stuff NOT for watching 2D stuff. Is that correct?
    What about AR glasses?
    I have no personal experience with VR headsets or AR glasses. That being said, from what I read about them, most are OK for watching 2D video at HD or lower resolutions. However, few provide the equivalent of 4K resolution (or better) and those that do are expensive. Nor do many come close to matching the DC3 color spaces commonly used for HDR and I don't know which forms of HDR they support. Beyond that, some VR headsets could become uncomfortable after they have been worn for a couple of hours. I'd stick with your TV for watching UHD HDR movies.

[Edit]Even if your current UHD TV is capable of using only about 90% of the DC3 color space, it apparently can apply HDR (HDR 10, Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG), and Dolby Vision).
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Aug 2022 at 16:56.
    Quote Quote