VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I work for a charity supporting Deaf people. I need to show a video on fire safety that was signed in BSL. The original PAL DVD isn't available, but there is a copy uploaded on YouTube in 2015. However, the video is heavily interlaced. The video I downloaded is H264 MP4 720×480 at 30 fps.

I tried to deinterlace it using Handbrake, but I'm not even sure it's at all possible. If it is, in fact, possible, how can I do it? I set the following options: “output FPS” to “60 fps”, “Interlace Detection” to “Default”, “Deinterlace” to “Yadif”, and “Preset” to “Bob”.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It is possible.

Realize that the video file itself is no longer interlaced. It is now progressive scan, and the artifacts your see are left over from a previous encoding (probably whoever ripped the DVD didn't deinterlace). The scan lines are "baked in" now so de-interlace won't work because the information is no longer available.

You want a decomb filter now. It attempts to remove comb artifacts, which is not a perfect process but it's usually good enough.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The video cannot be properly deinterlaced any more. About the best you can do is decimate and blur the two fields together where there is motion/combing.

before:after
    [Attachment 66426 - Click to enlarge]

Video sample attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Aug 2022 at 07:33. Reason: improved video sample
    Quote Quote