VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to have PotPlayer and/or VLC to always look in a specific directory for subtitle files for the video I am playing? Having the subtitle files in the same directory as the video files makes the directory look "messy".
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    PotPlayer Preferences > Subtitles > Fade/3D/Location > Custom Subtitle Storage Locations
    I don't often use subtitles and so never noticed that setting before, I'm not sure if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks but that does not work. The new directory shows up when you select search for subtitles, but it does not automatically grab and use a subtitle from that directory when you play the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why not put the video and subtitle file through handbrake? you can either have it burned in (actually on the video) or encoded into the file so you can just display the subtitles when required, you can then delete the subtitle files, keeps everything nice and neat. I've done this with a number of foreign dialogue movies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why not put the video and subtitle file through handbrake?
    Because Handbrake re-encode the video with quality loss.

I would re-mux and embed the subtitles with eg. MKVToolnix, mkvmerge, ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ChasVideo View Post
    Thanks but that does not work. The new directory shows up when you select search for subtitles, but it does not automatically grab and use a subtitle from that directory when you play the video.
    I'm not using it, but are you sure you're using the correct options, like these:
    - Subtitles - "Load only subs that match filenames" (disable)
    - Fade/3D/Location - "Prioritize the specified folders"
    - Language/Sync/Other - Subtitle priority: "Prefer external subtitles" or "Allow exteral subtitles only"

Possibly some options could affect it too, like "Remember subtitle track selections", if you opened 1 movie with internal subtitles, they are used when you open the same movie again - if this option is used, so you could try to disable it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Why not put the video and subtitle file through handbrake?
    Because Handbrake re-encode the video with quality loss.

I would re-mux and embed the subtitles with eg. MKVToolnix, mkvmerge, ffmpeg.
    Thanks. That is probably the best idea. Imbed them into the file without re-encoding the video. Just gotta lean how.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Originally Posted by ChasVideo View Post
    Thanks but that does not work. The new directory shows up when you select search for subtitles, but it does not automatically grab and use a subtitle from that directory when you play the video.
    I'm not using it, but are you sure you're using the correct options, like these:
    - Subtitles - "Load only subs that match filenames" (disable)
    - Fade/3D/Location - "Prioritize the specified folders"
    - Language/Sync/Other - Subtitle priority: "Prefer external subtitles" or "Allow exteral subtitles only"

Possibly some options could affect it too, like "Remember subtitle track selections", if you opened 1 movie with internal subtitles, they are used when you open the same movie again - if this option is used, so you could try to disable it.
    Thanks. More options to play with. I will try.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just gotta lean how
    Download ffmpeg. Extract ffmpeg.exe, ffprobe.exe, ffplay.exe and place them in the path.

Suppose your naming convention is Video.mkv, Video.srt place this in a batch file

Code:
    if not exist muxed md muxed
    for %%g in (*.mkv,*.mp4) do (
    ffmpeg -i "%%g" -i "%%~ng.srt" -c copy muxed\"%%g"
    )
    and execute it.
    Quote Quote