is all my footage gone during that 20 minutes where
    the time codes were resetting? if not, what can i do to
    fix this?

tape deck: gv-d1000
    camera: sony vx1000
    tapes: sony premiums 60 minute
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are using the word 'capture'. So do you mean you are transfering from the deck to a PC or something else ?

But try this. Wind the tape forward to a place where you believe there is actual recorded footage to see if you can then see it. If it is there you can then, if the deck allows, reverse play to the start of that recording but not a blank part.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You are using the word 'capture'. So do you mean you are transfering from the deck to a PC or something else ?

But try this. Wind the tape forward to a place where you believe there is actual recorded footage to see if you can then see it. If it is there you can then, if the deck allows, reverse play to the start of that recording but not a blank part.
    yep, that's correct. the goal is to transfer it from the deck to a computer (mac if that makes a difference). but even just playing the footage back on the deck, when i go to the area where i thought i filmed something, its just blank and there are no time codes. and like i said, i previously have film on this tape lets say 60m - 40m, that lets me view, and has valid time codes. but 40m - 20m has no time code and its just blank when i search this area.

as i noted, i think the tape might be messed up, since every time i was trying to record on it during 40m - 20m the timecode would go back to 00:00:00:00 when the recording stopped. but the overall record time did advance on the tape
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using a Mac does make a difference especially if it is a recent model that does not have the ieee1394 interface. But that matter should be addressed in the Mac sub-forum where you will get more assistance.

But even that is academical until you get the camera issue sorted. I can understand your reluctance to film all of 60 minutes. But even in small chunks every time you stop and restart the recording (without removing the tape from the camera) a time-stamp will be recorded which can be used during the actual capture process.

I suspose it is possible that you thought you were recording but did not actually do so. But a blank part will typically send the wrong signal to any playback device. Even the original camera.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got it, I do have the necessary adapters to capture, and i've done it before.

so breaking up time codes (leaving a blank space in between recording sessions), shouldn't cause much harm? thats the only thing i can think of that i did that could possibly mess with timecodes, but i've done it many many times in the past, so i didnt think it was an issue.

well, I was recording by confirmation of the time overall minutes ticking down and the red light being on, and it was many short bursts of recordings to fill the 40m-20m. but i noticed when i got home, that the timecodes weren't persisting when i would start and stop recording. so youre saying that section on the tape could be bad?

edit: i wonder if the tape player and the camcorder combo has anything to do with it. the tape player seems to read 64 minutes on the tape vs the camcorder reading it as a 60 minute tape
    Last edited by hotcheeto; 22nd Aug 2022 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The extended gap between recordings could have messed up the signal between tape and playback. So unless you could start playback at exactly the point where recording started...........Well all I can suggest you try another tape. But record in small chunks WITHOUT removing the tape from the camera until finished
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Re your subsequent edit. Can you preview the recording within the camera ?

And if you have the adapters then why even use secondary playback and capture direct from the camera to your Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, valid question. So playback on the main camera does not unfortunately work, so I use a secondary tape deck to capture the tape. In the past I would just use a cheaper mini dv cam to capture the footage to not wear the out the heads on my main.
    Quote Quote