VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone, I'm in the process of capturing old Hi8 tapes and I came across some that won't play fine for the whole length showing horizontal lines and chopped audio, as shown in "badtest1.mpg". One tape actually fixes itself as shown in "badtogood.mpg". Was this a recording problem? Are they lost forever? I currently have no other Hi8 players.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Looks like a tracking / sync problem to me. Fiddle with your player's manual tracking adjustments.
    Does it look the same when you play the tapes with the same camera which was used for shooting the videos?
    What exactly was your capturing setup?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Looks like a tracking / sync problem to me. Fiddle with your player's manual tracking adjustments.
    Does it look the same when you play the tapes with the same camera which was used for shooting the videos?
    What exactly was your capturing setup?
    Tapes were recorded with a Canon EX1-Hi8 that only records and can't play back anything due to bad electronics. Capture is done with Samsung SCL810 wired to Panasonic DMR-ES10 and Dazzle DVC-100 capture card, all S-Video. I would exclude a capture problem since the camera's integrated display and speaker behave exactly like the capture card. Is there any manual tracking for the camera? I can't find one
    Last edited by kernelfree; 26th Aug 2022 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Those could be baked in artifacts caused by a faulty camcorder that recorded them, Especially if the noise is consistent and happen in the exact same tape location.
    Quote Quote