VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In fixing dialog lines, I've had to add a word to the end or move a word to the beginning of a line
    for good comprehension of the phrase.

Would using one of the duration macros in Subtitle Edit make a mess of the start time?
    As is, this subtitle file has practically no adjustment room for a slight timing change?

Example would be > Tools > Apply minimum gap between subtitle?

I am doing a manual edit with lots of corrections. I wouldn't want to mess it up with an auto command not knowing
    what will result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think so. First off, as always: when you're not sure, always use a disposable copy.

Go to Settings --> Tools and look at the "Fix common errors" section. There is a checkbox called "Fix short display time - allow move of start time".
    When you leave that unchecked, start times will not be altered.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, I could make an experimental scratch copy. I think I'll leave that alone though for now.

This brings up a related question: I am making my own saved copies after each session. Are those saved copies
    auto generated by SE collecting disk space somewhere and how do I locate that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well those auto tools don't know where the speech breaks. Someone may dance around for five minutes on the video.
    It brings up an interesting point though. These short lines should break at a pause. I don't know how or if SE can check for that. It's becoming a strange puzzle.

But I am making a new test for something I may have missed in the flow of screens doing this at Youtube Create. I'm reasonably assured it won't take a day of processing. And I just don't consider making short test clips often enough. (Note to self.)

Thanks to all who answer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nope. I went through 'Captions" and started the video, the progress bar at audio lower screen proceeded through the who 2 hrs 50 minutes, closed.
    Then going to another set of three dots opened that requested a download in SRT format which it did. But only the first empty 2 minute frame
    copied. As you see I have no idea how to start the video and see subtitles going in in YouTube Create. Very frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I made another start on this with some different instructions found at Google. Still I'm not sure what I did, but the subtitling is going, it appears on the video window and can even pause and start it.

What should happen is at the end, save and then download the SRT which hopefully will not be blank. When this lucky find is repeatable I'll know the problem is solved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I totally lost you starting at post #4. Are latest in the wrong thread?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, you are right. I hijacked my own subject.

At the time it didn't seem worth starting yet another thread on the same topic of Youtube's Create to generate subtitles. From here I should start something new.
    Quote Quote