VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello to the community here.
    I'm in desperate need of your help.

I usually play my UHD discs with MPC or VLC. I can play them with powerDVD or Leawo Player too, but I'm not getting the right colors there. Anyway.
    Right now I've purchased the Karate Kid 1-3 UHD movie collection (UK edition).
    I was able to play the first movie with MPC (after I tried like 20 times), but I can't seem to be able to play the other ones.

So, I downloaded PotPlayer, with which I'm getting audio but no video.
    I guess some of my preferences are not right. What do you think I should do?
    I should say I have installed the latest K-lite codec pack too.

And here's 2 screenshots from the filter management and filter priority from Pot Player:

[Attachment 66277 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 66278 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Legit films are usually encrypted (DRM) and region locked, it's unlikely you don't have the required codec (decryption is a different matter)... But for now, try different video renderers: Preferences > Video > Video Renderer

EDIT: Also try , Preferences > Filter Control > Video Decoder > DXVA Settings > Use DXVA
    Last edited by Gus.Ghanem; 13th Aug 2022 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UHD Blu-ray is encrypted (and it uses a different encryption technology than regular Blu-ray uses) but it is the only disc format without region coding. [Edit]Undoubtedly, thinredline is playing decrypted and copied UHD Blu-ray AKA "rips" anyway.[end Edit]

If the PC's GPU can use hardware decoding for HEVC, VLC and Windows 11's Movies and TV app can play UHD video and use tone mapping for HDR10 when the display is not capable of applying HDR10 but neither has the ability to navigate menus or decrypt original UHD Blu-ray.

Power DVD Ultra (versions 17 and above) is the only software listed above that I know has/had the ability to decrypt and play original UHD Blu-ray discs. I haven't tried it but PowerDVD Ultra should still work for UHD Blu-ray that has been decrypted and copied. However, it can only utilize HDR10 and requires a monitor or TV that can accept UHD video and process HDR10 HDR. PowerDVD Ultra can't use other forms of HDR and PowerDVD Ultra doesn't perform tone-mapping for HDR10. Perhaps Leawo also lacks the ability to tone-map HDR10 for a non-HDR display. I don't think there is any player software that can handle the other types of HDR.

Unfortunately, in order to use Power DVD to play an original UHD Blu-ray disc, there is a long list of hardware requirements that must be met and Windows 10 is also required. (I know this because I built 2 PCs that met all the requirements) Sadly, in 2021 Microsoft and Intel between them disabled the security features that must be present for a PC to pass muster for UHD Blu-ray playback with PowerDVD Ultra and it no longer works for original UHD Blu-ray discs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2022 at 12:44.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't remember that I had installed PotPlayer on my Windows 11 Laptop and set it up for HDR.

I don't have the K-Lite codec pack installed.
    I have installed LAV Filters.
    I installed the "HEVC Video Extensions" from the Microsoft Store.

The video is a 4K HDR10 MKV demo file I found at https://4kmedia.org/the-world-in-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

Snapshot from PotPlayer, showing no tone-mapping applied
    [Attachment 66295 - Click to enlarge]

Windows Screenshot showing PotPlayer's tone-mapping to simulate HDR for my non-HDR laptop display.
    [Attachment 66296 - Click to enlarge]

My PotPlayer Preferences as Windows Screenshots:
    [Attachment 66302 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 66303 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 66299 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 66300 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 66304 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2022 at 19:45. Reason: Removed duplicate screenshot
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Gus.Ghanem View Post
    EDIT: Also try , Preferences > Filter Control > Video Decoder > DXVA Settings > Use DXVA
    Thank you.
    This worked once or twice but not every time. I don't understand why.
    As i don't understand why VLC doesn't work every time. I managed to watch the disc with it eventually, but now again it doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    My PotPlayer Preferences as Windows Screenshots:
    Thank you for taking the time to post these. Unfortunately it doesn't work for my UHD discs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    What's your video card/video ram, cpu, system ram, monitor, HDMI version, OS?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HEVC playback, especially at UHD resolutions, tends to work better if the GPU (or iGPU) can decode it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
    Originally Posted by Gus.Ghanem View Post
    Thank you.
    This worked once or twice but not every time. I don't understand why.
    As i don't understand why VLC doesn't work every time. I managed to watch the disc with it eventually, but now again it doesn't work.
    K-Lite and other codec packs have a poor reputation on this forum for screwing up video and audio playback using some player software. Some say its poor reputation is undeserved but most agree that it is safer to only install individual decoders as needed.

However, VLC uses its own internal decoders or if it's available, hardware decoding on the GPU/iGPU. I don't know what could cause it to only work intermittently when playing the same video.

[Edit]I looked at some of your previous posts. You mentioned that you were using Passkey Lite in some of them. Are you still using some version of Passkey, either free or paid?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Aug 2022 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Gus.Ghanem View Post
    What's your video card/video ram, cpu, system ram, monitor, HDMI version, OS?
    Right now, I'm on a laptop. i will be able to test these particular UHD discs on my pc in a couple of weeks.
    My laptop is:
    ACER NB NITRO 5 AN517-52-713N,
    17.3" TFT FHD,
    INTEL CPU 10th GEN i7 10750H 2,60GHz,
    16GB RAM
    NVIDIA VGA GTX1650Ti 4GB GDDR6,
    WINDOWS10HOME 64bit

and I have this player:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/264849119450
    Last edited by thinredline; 16th Aug 2022 at 01:43.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    [Edit]I looked at some of your previous posts. You mentioned that you were using Passkey Lite in some of them. Are you still using some version of Passkey, either free or paid?
    No, I don't use passkey or AnyDvd anymore.
    I have MakeMKV and I have checked the VLC integration in preferences.

[Attachment 66361 - Click to enlarge]

By the way, if PowerDVD could apply an HDR simulation layer like Potplayer does, it would be great!
    Last edited by thinredline; 16th Aug 2022 at 01:47.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    No, I don't use passkey or AnyDvd anymore.
    I have MakeMKV and I have checked the VLC integration in preferences.

[Attachment 66361 - Click to enlarge]
    My curiosity is piqued. I may try MakeMKV for on-the-fly playback with PowerDVD Ultra and other media players someday but I am not quite ready to risk bricking my LG UHD Blu-ray drive by installing friendly firmware and don't want to spend the cash for a drive that has already been made friendly.

By the way, if PowerDVD could apply an HDR simulation layer like Potplayer does, it would be great!
    PowerDVD Ultra's hardware requirements for UHD HDR video playback include a UHD HDR TV or monitor. I don't think that tone-mapping is likely to be added given the growing popularity of UHD HDR TVs.
    Quote Quote