VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm looking for a good subtitle editor for macOS. I've used Subtitle Edit on my previous Windows machine and would like to use something similar on macOS.

The tool should be able to convert SUP streams to SRT using OCR and convert SRT subtitles to SUP format.
    Syncing a subtitle to another subtitle or to a video or audio stream would be a welcome addition.

There are quite a few subtitle apps available in the AppStore for which you have to pay. But from the reviews and description with the apps I find it hard to determine which one to purchase. You risk purchase a tool that doesn't work as well as you'd hoped and I'm not sure if I can get my money back when the tool isn't to my liking.

Thanks for your tips and pointers in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vtpeters View Post
    I'm looking for a good subtitle editor for macOS. I've used Subtitle Edit on my previous Windows machine and would like to use something similar on macOS.

The tool should be able to convert SUP streams to SRT using OCR and convert SRT subtitles to SUP format.
    Syncing a subtitle to another subtitle or to a video or audio stream would be a welcome addition.

There are quite a few subtitle apps available in the AppStore for which you have to pay. But from the reviews and description with the apps I find it hard to determine which one to purchase. You risk purchase a tool that doesn't work as well as you'd hoped and I'm not sure if I can get my money back when the tool isn't to my liking.

try looking in tools - subtitle editors - https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/subtitle
    there's 5 to choose from for mac.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

try looking in tools - subtitle editors - https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/subtitle
    Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I've tried them all (for some I needed to use a beta version 'cause the 'release' version doesn't support the 64-bit M1 or M2 chips).
    Unfortunately none of them support the opening/importing of blu-ray SUP format subtitles. In the Windows application I've used in the past (Subtitle Edit) I could open de SUP file in the editor and immediately the OCR process would kick in to convert the SUP image based subtitles to text.

The subtitle editors presented on the page you refer to will (almost) all are fair to good SRT file editors. But I need an application for my Mac that can take a SUP file and (interactively) convert is to SRT format...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I've tried them all (for some I needed to use a beta version 'cause the 'release' version doesn't support the 64-bit M1 or M2 chips).
    Unfortunately none of them support the opening/importing of blu-ray SUP format subtitles. In the Windows application I've used in the past (Subtitle Edit) I could open de SUP file in the editor and immediately the OCR process would kick in to convert the SUP image based subtitles to text.

The subtitle editors presented on the page you refer to will (almost) all are fair to good SRT file editors. But I need an application for my Mac that can take a SUP file and (interactively) convert is to SRT format...
    you might try this - https://www.reddit.com/r/ffmpeg/comments/gjpkd2/tutorial_mac_how_to_ocr_and_convert_vobsub_subs/
    Quote Quote