VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    [Attachment 66271 - Click to enlarge]

I was curious to know how a conversion of a Vhs would look with any model that has an HDMI output.

If anyone has it, can you post it????
    Last edited by Caius; 12th Aug 2022 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    HDMI is a display port, it is not designed for capturing video, Because after the ADC it goes through a video/audio processing circuit, use S-Video out and capture it using a capture card, We've discussed this before numerous times but you seem to keep beating this dead horse. I have this model and I use it to transfer D-VHS recordings, not VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do these output S-Video directly from the SVHS/VHS side? Otherwise it's gonna be the same signal over S-Video as HDMI, just converted back to S-Video.

It uses the same digitizing stuff for the digital side as JVCs dvd-recorders from the time and same stuff on the VHS side as the SVHS JVCs from the time, so doubt it has anything special going on compared to those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. pretty sure the hdmi out if for the dvd player only, not vcr. (oops my bad, this is a vcr dvhs, so i guess it'll work but for non macrovision tapes, otherwise you'll need a splitter)
    As far as capping hdmi i do it,work well and love it so don't listen to the naysayers. This implies good gear vcr with tbc, hdmi with 480/576i support etc..
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's a DVHS deck. The JVC VHS/DVD-recorder combos from the time (not later ones made by LG or Orion that are completely different) only output the VHS side over composite other than when dubbing to tape afaik but that might not be the case with this one, at least the manual doesn't say anything about it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    ok.ok... I think I understand, so hdmi doesn't make any difference when capturing a VHS? Even if I have a capture card that takes HDMI? Would it be worse than an svideo capture? Is that right? @dellsam34
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    It's a DVHS deck. The JVC VHS/DVD-recorder combos from the time (not later ones made by LG or Orion that are completely different) only output the VHS side over composite other than when dubbing to tape afaik but that might not be the case with this one, at least the manual doesn't say anything about it.
    This potentially can capture VHS in 3 different ways, From S-Video like a regular VCR which is the highest quality (levels of chroma and luma look natural), From firewire in MPEG-2 SD (compressed, colors are faded, less dynamic in luma), and from HDMI (over processed, colors overblown, levels all over the place), not recommended as I previously mentioned.

Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Even if I have a capture card that takes HDMI? Would it be worse than an svideo capture? Is that right?
    Yes, S-Video is better.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    What a disappointment this HDMI is
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (Oops, just catching up on the forum, and I thought this thread was from this month. Oh well.)

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    This potentially can capture VHS in 3 different ways, From S-Video like a regular VCR which is the highest quality (levels of chroma and luma look natural), From firewire in MPEG-2 SD (compressed, colors are faded, less dynamic in luma), and from HDMI (over processed, colors overblown, levels all over the place), not recommended as I previously mentioned.
    Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Even if I have a capture card that takes HDMI? Would it be worse than an svideo capture? Is that right?
    Yes, S-Video is better.
    Either something is wrong with your HDMI capture setup, or you haven't actually compared the outputs. (As of April last year, you hadn't. Not stalking you BTW; that post just came up when I was searching for my own. )

I have done the comparisons, and oln's post is accurate:

Do these output S-Video directly from the SVHS/VHS side? Otherwise it's gonna be the same signal over S-Video as HDMI, just converted back to S-Video.

It uses the same digitizing stuff for the digital side as JVCs dvd-recorders from the time and same stuff on the VHS side as the SVHS JVCs from the time, so doubt it has anything special going on compared to those.
    The service manual is here BTW.

Originally Posted by Caius;2664800[B
    ]I was curious to know how a conversion of a Vhs would look with any model that has an HDMI output.

If anyone has it, can you post it????[/B]
    All you had to do was search the model number on this forum and DigitalFAQ. I posted screenshots/samples years ago.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/379450-VCR-comparison-SP-mode-%5BWARNING-auto-load%21%5D
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/383020-In-depth-TBC-comparison-with-bad-VHS-%28video-samples%29

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news/6995-panasonic-dmr-es10-3.html#post42103
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    My conclusions were drawn from that comparison. Though, I did later a capture from the same D-VHS deck using firewire (MPEG-2) and S-Video and the difference is night and day using not one but two Y-C to SDI devices (BE75 and S&W TBS800), With firewire out of the way, now let's see between HDMI and S-Video. HDMI still looks over processed compared to S-Video using a high quality HP monitor that has both S-Video and HDMI inputs (default setting on all inputs), a lot of under exposed black areas, over saturated colors, So based on my own findings I don't recommend HDMI for capturing from that particular D-VHS deck. Note that the devices I use to capture S-Video are of high quality, not consumer stuff which I did a demonstration of in one of my threads against the Pinnacle USB-500 in lossless mode, because of this the HDMI route may look slightly better for an average person using a consumer analog capture device since HDMI has some sort of uncontrollable digital processing, In the BE75 and TBS-800 I can control those parameters in several pages of settings, TBC and timing settings, DNR, chroma and luma Levels ....etc or choose to keep them all off.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 16th Nov 2022 at 11:36.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I have done the comparisons, and oln's post is accurate:

Do these output S-Video directly from the SVHS/VHS side? Otherwise it's gonna be the same signal over S-Video as HDMI, just converted back to S-Video.

An assumption is never accurate, The main board processes the RF signal from the heads into Y and C signals in page 4 of the HMDH5USSCH manual you posted above, numbered from bottom to top from 1 to 11 in the 11 pin header, From this header a HDMI board takes the signal and process the analog pins into digital HDMI signal as shown in page 5. In page 20 and from the same 11 pin header another iteration goes straight to S-Video out sockets. So no, getting S-Video out from HDMI back to analog requires an additional DAC and adds more costs, engineers who design this stuff are not stupid, the same goes for DV and DVD devices, Digital outputs are always processed last to avoid more conversions and more parts that adds to the cost.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What about the component video output this DVHS device has ? will this output only be used with playback of MPEG2 ? or also gives output as passthrough ?
    depending the setup of this device it can have some advantages, no HDCP…. better color quality then DV, slightly better than s-video, and option for progressive mode, depending the electronic setup of the device.
    There are some good capture/converter devices with component video input.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    All outputs are processed from the Y-C signal recorded on tape, So S-Video is as close as you can get to what's on the tape.
    Quote Quote