VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Thread
  1. I'm trying to encode a dvd, the source appear to be a 3:2 pulldown (soft telecine?), I'm leaving a fragment that displays the issue.

    I really don't know how to go about this one, If I try QTGMC or Vinverse the progressive frames become blurrier, I can't IVTC because I already have 23.97 frames/second. I'm using staxrip by the way.

    Some help would be appreciated.


    PS: If the fragment is no good, and you need something longer, just ask.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Is that the source or your mpeg encode?

    It is already DVD compliant based on a cursory look
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, the video is 23.976 fps progressive with 3:2 pulldown flags that tell the player how to produce 29.97 fps interlaced output. That is DVD compliant and its other properties (GOP size, bitrate, max consecutive b-frames, etc.) appear to be compliant too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OP posted in "DVD ripping" subforum, using staxrip . Staxrip does not encode to DVD-video AFAIK. So probably encoding DVD as the source to something else, I'm guessing. Not the other way around.

    There is no "combing" in the source video . Maybe "combing" is being used differently here ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Is that the source or your mpeg encode?

    It is already DVD compliant based on a cursory look

    Is a fragment of the source, spliced with DGIndex
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    OP posted in "DVD ripping" subforum, using staxrip . Staxrip does not encode to DVD-video AFAIK. So probably encoding DVD as the source to something else, I'm guessing. Not the other way around.

    There is no "combing" in the source video . Maybe "combing" is being used differently here ?
    I'm attaching a capture of what I mean by combing; and yes, you are right, the dvd is the source.

    Image
    [Attachment 66242 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your screenshot shows combing, but there is none if you IVTC it with TIVTC.

    The default post processing will deinterlace if combing is detected , and that frame is detected. You can use display=true to see which frames are deinterlaced to tweak the threshold detection values /settings, or use another deinterlacing algorithm by specifying clip2

    You can look at the staxrip log to see what processing was done, and why it left combing
    Quote Quote  
  8. I suspect whoever produced the clip didn't IVTC properly and left a few interlaced frames. There are also a duplicate and a missing frames around there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Your screenshot shows combing, but there is none if you IVTC it with TIVTC.

    The default post processing will deinterlace if combing is detected , and that frame is detected. You can use display=true to see which frames are deinterlaced to tweak the threshold detection values /settings, or use another deinterlacing algorithm by specifying clip2

    You can look at the staxrip log to see what processing was done, and why it left combing
    I didn't use TIVTC because it showed me this values (That can't be right, can it?)

    Image
    [Attachment 66243 - Click to enlarge]


    Does it need additional configuration?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Not sure, I don't really use staxrip... but I would use MPEG2Source for the Source filter. That is the most reliable for DVD source filter. FFVideoSource can be quite buggy depending on which version
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I suspect whoever produced the clip didn't IVTC properly and left a few interlaced frames. There are also a duplicate and a missing frames around there.
    Is a Criterion DVD... is supposed to be the best around... shame on them I guess
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Not sure, I don't really use staxrip... but I would use MPEG2Source for the Source filter. That is the most reliable for DVD source filter. FFVideoSource can be quite buggy depending on which version
    Yes, I just was trying something different there, no knowing what else to do, the MPEG2Source shows this:

    Image
    [Attachment 66245 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  13. If it's 19.18 output fps, probably you had dgindex field operation in "force film mode", which is incorrect because you don't have 100% film. Leave it with "honor pulldown flags". I dont' have staxrip installed on this computer
    Quote Quote  
  14. I played with staxrip and it looks like staxrip is pretty buggy with this.

    Even if you set the film threshold to 100% in the options, it won't let you keep a 30000/1001 .d2v file and it automatically overwrites the existing one and forces 24000/1001 or "film". This means you will always get combing on those 2 frames and if you post process you will degrade all the frames unless you specify selectively which frames. Even if you manually index it with DGIndex from staxrip or outside, it will overwrite the existing .d2v

    The only way around this that I found was to create a proper avs script for at least the source filter, then import the .avs

    Mpeg2Source("VTS_02_1.demuxed.d2v")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()

    If you want a bit better quality for frames when deinterlacing is applied

    Mpeg2Source("VTS_02_1.demuxed.d2v")
    TFM(clip2=qtgmc().selecteven())
    TDecimate()
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If it's 19.18 output fps, probably you had dgindex field operation in "force film mode", which is incorrect because you don't have 100% film. Leave it with "honor pulldown flags". I dont' have staxrip installed on this computer
    Unfortunately that wasn't the issue, I decoded it again just in case though, but I'm hopeful that someone will come up with a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I played with staxrip and it looks like staxrip is pretty buggy with this.

    Even if you set the film threshold to 100% in the options, it won't let you keep a 30000/1001 .d2v file and it automatically overwrites the existing one and forces 24000/1001 or "film". This means you will always get combing on those 2 frames and if you post process you will degrade all the frames unless you specify selectively which frames. Even if you manually index it with DGIndex from staxrip or outside, it will overwrite the existing .d2v

    The only way around this that I found was to create a proper avs script for at least the source filter, then import the .avs

    Mpeg2Source("VTS_02_1.demuxed.d2v")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()

    If you want a bit better quality for frames when deinterlacing is applied

    Mpeg2Source("VTS_02_1.demuxed.d2v")
    TFM(clip2=qtgmc().selecteven())
    TDecimate()

    Thanks, I'm going to try this now.

    ----Edit----

    It now recognises the frame rate properly, I'm gonna encode it, and report back in a few hours, thanks again!
    Last edited by shark_bloody; 8th Aug 2022 at 18:41.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by shark_bloody View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If it's 19.18 output fps, probably you had dgindex field operation in "force film mode", which is incorrect because you don't have 100% film. Leave it with "honor pulldown flags". I dont' have staxrip installed on this computer
    Unfortunately that wasn't the issue, I decoded it again just in case though, but I'm hopeful that someone will come up with a solution.

    It is another issue, because more frames will be dropped @19.18 fps (essentially double decimated), resulting in more jerky motion. The real underlying issue is staxrip won't let you use "honor flags" for this source, so you can't use TFM's pp . In theory, you could use FFVideoSource rffmode=1 to output 29.97 and honor flags, but staxrip won't let you either...

    The solution is to use avisynth script directly to bypass the problems. You can still use staxrip, just not completely, or directly; or at least I couldn't find a workaround within staxrip fiddling with the options
    Quote Quote  
  18. It worked as intended, thanks a lot, I'm saving this threat in my favourites.
    Quote Quote  
  19. TFM().TDecimate() will get rid of the comb artifacts and give mostly smooth video. But there will still be a few jerks here and there from the duplicate and dropped frames.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    TFM().TDecimate() will get rid of the comb artifacts and give mostly smooth video. But there will still be a few jerks here and there from the duplicate and dropped frames.

    I didn't see any duplicates. There was some at the beginning, but from the way it was cut

    There are drops between IVTCed frame numbers 274,275 and 278,279. If there were nearby duplicates you could shift replace the duplicates with interpolated frames to keep the timing/sync

    There is a function smoothskip that does this (drops and dupes with interpolation), and john meyer also wrote a script that addresses drops and dupes. But this just looks like drops to me, so you'd have to replace one or more good frames to smooth the motion to keep sync
    Quote Quote  
  21. These are ivtc'ed frames 273-281

    275, 279 are replaced by the Rife version in vapoursynth of RX, using the immediate neighboring frames, so it's a bit smoother

    It requires manual specifying frame numbers, so it's not automatic like SmoothSkip or John's script. Also interpolation can sometimes produce bad artifacts.

    This is an animated webp; it should animate in browsers like Chrome, Firefox




    (And there are a few minor dirt spots that Criterion could have easily, easily fixed . They have for other releases before. I guess they didn't care as much about this one)
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads