VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone!

I've started converting old tapes (VHS, MiniDV & Video8) about half a year ago. Firstly I did it because I had some old tapes that my father and grandfather recorded when I was younger and I wanted to make a surprise and gift it to them. After that, I decided to monetize it and so far it's been going great.

Last month I acquired a VHS-C camcorder (JVS GR-SXM26) and a VHS-C adapter (Panasonic VW-GTE7E) and I had my first two clients with VHS-C tapes a couple of weeks ago.

Here's where the problem starts: no video/image comes out of all the tapes from my first client (the tapes from the second client all play perfectly). I've tried them using both the camcorder and the adapter and I've tried the adapter on both of my VHS players (Panasonic NV-J45 & Samsung SV-200X). Sound comes out crystal clear, video not at all. On two occasions I've managed to get one second or two of video, but that was it. I tried to backtrack and play it again, but to no avail. I've noticed that on the Samsung VHS player it shows "NT PB PAL" when I tried to play those tapes.

My knowledge on these problems is close to 0. Were the tapes recorded on a NTSC camcorder and can't be read/played on my players/camcorder? Were they recorded on a camcorder with desaligned heads? Can someone help me?

Thank you for all your help in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What color system your country is and what the customer think the tapes were recorded at? What is your capture workflow? Also never test with capture devices, Always have a TV or a monitor that can properly display an analog video signal, with capture devices you are compounding problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by SilverPT View Post
    I've noticed that on the Samsung VHS player it shows "NT PB PAL" when I tried to play those tapes
    This does make me think the tapes are recorded in NTSC. The Samsung will play them back with PAL60 which was designed to be able to display NTSC videotapes on a PAL TV without needing major component changes, output so whatever is next in the capture chain will have to be able to handle that and set up accordingly. The J45 may or may not be able to play NTSC tapes depending on version (if it does it might be NTSC 4.43 output I think)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I just want to make sure he is not in Brazil or the middle east where they have weird TV systems for camcorders.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    What color system your country is and what the customer think the tapes were recorded at? What is your capture workflow? Also never test with capture devices, Always have a TV or a monitor that can properly display an analog video signal, with capture devices you are compounding problems.
    I'm from Portugal, so PAL. Regarding the customer, I've no idea, but I can contact him to make sure if he knows something. My capture workflow is VCR/camcorder - video capture (Elgato) - PC.

I've never thought of testing with a TV. I'll definitely try it tomorrow, as I've an old analog TV working. Thank you!

Originally Posted by oln View Post
    This does make me think the tapes are recorded in NTSC. The Samsung will play them back with PAL60 which was designed to be able to display NTSC videotapes on a PAL TV without needing major component changes, output so whatever is next in the capture chain will have to be able to handle that and set up accordingly. The J45 may or may not be able to play NTSC tapes depending on version (if it does it might be NTSC 4.43 output I think)
    The J45 does indeed have an on/off NTSC 4.43 switch.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Eu tenho um grupo de conversão de Vhs no Brasil, usando o Whatsapp, se quiser participar me fala que eu te adiciono.

Te mandei o meu número na messagem privada.
    Last edited by Caius; 13th Aug 2022 at 12:50.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Update: managed to test with the analog TV, but to no avail. I've also talked with the client and he told me that the camcorder in which the tapes were recorded was bought in Portugal, so he thinks it's PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SilverPT View Post
    Update: managed to test with the analog TV, but to no avail. I've also talked with the client and he told me that the camcorder in which the tapes were recorded was bought in Portugal, so he thinks it's PAL.
    Quer entrar para um grupo de conversão de vhs? Nós tiramos as dúvidas um do outro lá.
    Quote Quote