VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a bunch of DVDs that I want to rip to my PC, which has 3 internal DVD drives and 3 external DVD drives. I'm looking for something that will:
    1. automatically begin ripping once I put the DVDs in the drives, and rip from drive to drive
    2. recognize the correct files to rip (possibly based on the minimum length of the file)
    3. name the ripped files by name of the respective movie/show
    4. rip (or convert) the files to a format that is readily readable

I tried the tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxd3_9GTRIU, but kept running into an error and don't know how to fix it. Is there anything out there for some with average computer skills?

TIA,
    Jason
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dollsey74 View Post
    I have a bunch of DVDs that I want to rip to my PC, which has 3 internal DVD drives and 3 external DVD drives. I'm looking for something that will:
    1. automatically begin ripping once I put the DVDs in the drives, and rip from drive to drive
    2. recognize the correct files to rip (possibly based on the minimum length of the file)
    3. name the ripped files by name of the respective movie/show
    4. rip (or convert) the files to a format that is readily readable

I tried the tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxd3_9GTRIU, but kept running into an error and don't know how to fix it. Is there anything out there for some with average computer skills?

TIA,
    Jason
    here's a one click batch file script for MakeMKV & Handbrake - https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/comments/1mu6kt/my_batch_file_for_oneclick_ripping_and_encoding/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Thanks! Will this allow me to rip in a sequential order (e.g., drive d, then drive e, then drive f.....)? Or do I have to rip one-by-one?

I'm assuming I need to open a command prompt and enter the command? And I need to have both MakeMKV and Handbrake installed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Simple advice. Take it or leave it !

No program or batch will allow you to do what you propose. Windows allows you to nominate an appropiate program to run when you insert a dvd in a drive. What it does NOT do is call that nominated program multiple times unless the program - and I doubt if any do - allows for multiple instances and, especially for a dvd since the typical action is to play the content one would not seek to play more than one disk at a time.

And even if such a program existed trying to read multiple drives at the same time and writing to multiple files at the same time is sure to be a quick and easy route to destroying your system or at the very least the HDD you write to.

And in the time you waited for an answer you could have ripped several disks one by one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check out Automatic Ripping Machine https://b3n.org/automatic-ripping-machine/https://b3n.org/automatic-ripping-machine/

It won't do everything you want, but AFAIK, nothing will. It only runs on Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

No program or batch will allow you to do what you propose. Windows allows you to nominate an appropiate program to run when you insert a dvd in a drive. What it does NOT do is call that nominated program multiple times unless the program - and I doubt if any do - allows for multiple instances and, especially for a dvd since the typical action is to play the content one would not seek to play more than one disk at a time.

And even if such a program existed trying to read multiple drives at the same time and writing to multiple files at the same time is sure to be a quick and easy route to destroying your system or at the very least the HDD you write to.

And in the time you waited for an answer you could have ripped several disks one by one.
    MakeMKV and DVDShrink will allow multiple instances. Years ago I had to re-rip over 600 discs because I brainfarted and formatted by my original and backup!

I used three readers, two external and one internal. I had another drive, but three was optimal for me. I used DVDShrink because none of the discs had copy protection (all Asian releases) and it took ~10-15 minutes for each disc to complete. Which was perfect for me, because I had to manually move the rip to the correct folder and rename. Took me a couple months to complete the project and now I have the two backups of everything!

Any automated searching for disc titles wouldn't work for me because the titles may be non-English and the title may be different in English.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Who said I haven't been ripping one by one in the interim? I'll leave it.
    Quote Quote