VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have on my PC 3 video editing programs. TMPGEnc Video Mastering 7, Vegas Pro, & After Effects. For the last two I am paying a monthly subscription on (TMPGEnc being a one-off payment), however, I have come to the realization that I no longer use either of these two because I don't ever use the vast majority of bells & whistles they supply.

However, I am interested in using something that does scene detection editing. Vegas Pro (and, I assume, After Effects?) has this feature. TMPGEnc has some mention of scene detection during encoding, but cannot discover anything about what it exactly does.

There is other software that can be purchased online that are specifically designed to do this that I am considering, but I'd like to know if TMPGEnc actually does this sort of thing???

Also, I am always seeing references to Wondershare software all over the place. Are these products actually safe?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK Vegas does not have a subscription model so I assume you were refering to Premiere Pro

A quick Google brought me to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMNvFIqLLck

This may bot be want you want since this is previously edited cut-point detection. I doubt if any editor can do pure scene-change detection.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to get out more, DB83. Magix has been doing great scene-recognition cutting for almost 2 decades now.

And BTW, Magix Vegas does have a subscription product.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well do help the OP and tell him how he does it rather than criticise me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't because I don't use TMPG... or Wondershare. That's what he was asking about.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry DB83, but I'm afraid I'll have to criticize you here by asking why you would think I would be getting confused with Premiere Pro when I am the person who pays for the product?

I didn't look at the clip you linked as there are similar ones I have seen already on Vegas Pro.

I've seen mention that scene detection can also be used with Davinci Resolve and even Shutter Encoder, but I don't know how well it works with either of them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just thought I should mention that I'm paying a yearly subscription for Vegas Pro and I just checked when it is renewed, but it's not for another 7 months, so I may as well get to know how Vegas handles scene detection in the meantime.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    Sorry DB83, but I'm afraid I'll have to criticize you here by asking why you would think I would be getting confused with Premiere Pro when I am the person who pays for the product?

I didn't look at the clip you linked as there are similar ones I have seen already on Vegas Pro.

I've seen mention that scene detection can also be used with Davinci Resolve and even Shutter Encoder, but I don't know how well it works with either of them?
    No problem my firend. I have a thick skin and you have the right to criticise me.

My logic was since you were also using After Effects I put 2 + 2 together and made 5

But since you have seen Vegas do this I simply ask, again, is this pure scene detection or edit-point detection ? In my book these are different.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The only way I can answer your question is by pointing you toward this YouTube video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJDyXHzM20&ab_channel=TechDiveAVCLUB

It specifically talks about the Vegas Pro 19 Scene Detection Tool and how to use it. However you mention Edit Point Detection and how they are different in your book, so I'm not sure how you define that and if Vegas Scene Detection is more like Edit Point or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would, if you have not already, look at the Premiere sample.

Certainly the Vegas one appears much more sophisticated since it detects sensitivity at edits so is more true to scene detection than edit-point which if that video is typical then it just appears to find markers which could have been put there by Premiere in the first place.

But the 'tutorial' is typical of many. The guy may know how to do it but runs through the process at such speed that one is hardly the wiser at the end than one would be at the begining.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Magix has been doing great scene-recognition cutting for almost 2 decades now.
    Scene detection has never been accurate. By the time you scrub to verify, you could have just manually done it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Also, I am always seeing references to Wondershare software all over the place. Are these products actually safe?

Yes they are safe. However they are also $hit.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lords
    Scene detection has never been accurate. By the time you scrub to verify, you could have just manually done it.
    Have you actually tried Magix NLEs in Scene Detect mode, LS?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    TMPGEnc has some mention of scene detection during encoding, but cannot discover anything about what it exactly does.

There is other software that can be purchased online that are specifically designed to do this that I am considering, but I'd like to know if TMPGEnc actually does this sort of thing???

I don't have TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works. However, if you search https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tvmw7.html for "Functionalities For High Speed Editing" you can find information about using the quick scene detection feature.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote