VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey there, I plan on making my own VHS tapes that have closed captions included in the tape. However, I keep running into roadblock after roadblock regarding this. I'm not sure how to go about actually implementing these captions into an actual tape.

Currently my only equipment that I have that could possibly create these captions is a PS2. It has a DVD player that supports these captions, I tested it as much with an official movie. My only problem now is that, even though I have blank DVD-Rs lying around ready to burn stuff onto, I have no clue what software I should use.

I've been digging a lot in Google and these forums and can't find a definitive answer on how to create a DVD that fully supports EIA-608 captions. I don't just want the captions to be at the bottom of the screen at all times, which is why I don't want to use .srt files. There's a more suitable file format called .SCC, which was made to use EIA-608/708 captions.

Again my only trouble is, I can't find software that supports burning DVDs with those captions. So, does anyone know of authoring software that allows me to implement SCC files, or just in general allows the DVD to have EIA-608 captions? Can't really go further in this without that ability.

If you also have software recommendation to make these captions, that'd be appreciated, since SubtitleEdit has rudimentary support for SCC files (only being able to put it in 9 different places, and only allows 1 caption at a time; as opposed to the EIA-608 standard that allows captions to be put pretty much anywhere, and with there being 2 captions on screen).

I can use either Linux or Windows for this task, by the way. I do have a Macbook I can try, but the hard-drive in that things been dead for a good while, and I'm not even sure if the DVD drive on that thing works, so, I want to avoid macOS best I can.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only DVD authoring tools that I know of that support adding closed captions to DVD video via SCC files are relatively expensive, professional software tools such as Scenarist SD, Premiere Pro, and Vegas Pro + DVD Architect Pro.

This explains the basics of the formatting used for SCC files, which are not readable by ordinary human beings: http://www.theneitherworld.com/mcpoodle/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/SCC_FORMAT.HTML

I don't know how well this online tool works, but if you need to generate an SCC file yourself, you could try converting ASS subtitles (which support color and positioning IIRC) to SCC format for free at https://gotranscript.com/subtitle-converter
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jul 2022 at 17:33. Reason: correction
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed something when reading the documentation at http://www.theneitherworld.com/mcpoodle/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/SCC_FORMAT.HTML. CC text can't be placed anywhere on the screen. A grid of 16 rows and 32 columns corresponding to the safe area on an SD screen is used for positioning text. Subtitles usually have to be reformatted to fit the grid.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote