VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just aquired a SONY TRV608 Hi8, Seems to work flawlessy.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3072/30723141M.pdf

No Firewire is Available.

No RCA Capabilty on the Camera.

Its Output Ports Are:

- USB

- S-Video

- AV Out

1. I have pretty consistently read that USB is too low a transfer rate to be effective. The Dilema is I keep seeing Capture Devices with USB for their, "Source" Cable from the Video Camera. Can I please get some clarification if the USB Option is in fact a poor one?

2. I have the S-Video Port to work with and no RCA Ports on the Webcam. I don't see many Capture Devices with S-Video as the Webcam Source. if this is the preferred option, ny recomendation for Device Choice(s) Money is a consideration so max of $100 will be a stretch.
    - Also can I go S-Video to S-Video on a capture Device such as DVD Recorder or PC?

3. AV Out - How is this as an Option? Again, I see very few External Devices that work from this?

4. If it would be best to use a card in My PC as a Direct Connection, I have the ability to install one. I am running Win 10 and have a PCI X16 Slot to use. I have a DVI Slot, and several USB Slots already in-place. Also HDMI. I believe my Processor is 2.8 GHZ, 8 MB RAM and plenty of Hard Drive Space Remaining of 500 MB. I do have a DVD Writer Installed as well.

I, "may" consider doing conversions for others. I just retired and this looks like a, "doable" side gig to me once I gain adequate knowledge. I am considering a VHS to DVD Recorder purchase at a Thrift Shop for just ten bucks. It is a Panasonic DMR-30. I have a few family VHS Tapes I'd love to convert over so can use them to check functionality. (I'll practice on some old Movie Tapes before chancing Mangling my family ones!)

I'm an ignorant old sponge thirsty for advice and opinions at this time so any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Last edited by dougf4; 27th Jul 2022 at 19:29. Reason: Hi8 Tape Preservation to Digital Copies
    Quote Quote  
  2. s-video (plus audio from the AV port) if your capture device supports it. Then composite (AV port). Forget USB.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (SORRY THAT I SOMEHOW POSTED THIS PREVIOULY PRETTY MUCH EMPTY)

Just aquired a SONY TRV608 Hi8, Seems to work flawlessy.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3072/30723141M.pdf

No Firewire is Available.

No RCA Capabilty on the Camera.

Its Otput Ports Are:

- USB

- S-Video

- AV Out

1. I have pretty consistently read that USB is too low a transfer rate to be effective. The Dilema is I keep seeing Capture Devices with USB for their, "Source" Cable from the Video Camera. Can I please get some clarification if the USB Option is in fact a poor one?

2. I have the S-Video Port to work with and no RCA Ports on the Webcam. I don't see many Capture Devices with S-Video as the Webcam Source. if this is the preferred option, ny recomendation for Device Choice(s) Money is a consideration so max of $100 will be a stretch.
    - Also can I go S-Video to S-Video on a capture Device such as DVD Recorder or PC?

3. AV Out - How is this as an Option? Again, I see very few External Devices that work from this?

4. If it would be best to use a card in My PC as a Direct Connection, I have the ability to install one. I am running Win 10 and have a PCI X16 Slot to use. I have a DVI Slot, and several USB Slots already in-place. I believe my Processor is 2.8 GHZ, 8 MB RAM and plenty of Hard Drive Space Remaining of 500 MB. I do have a DVD Writer Installed as well.

I, "may" consider doing conversions for others. I just retired and this looks like a, "doable" side gig to me once I gain adequate knowledge. I am considering a VHS to DVD Recorder purchase at a Thrift Shop for just ten bucks. It is a Panasonic DMR-30. I have a few family VHS Tapes I'd love to convert over so can use them to check functionality. (I'll practice on some old Movie Tapes before chancing Mangling my family ones!)

I'm an ignorant old sponge thirsty for advice and opinions at this time so any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Quote Quote