VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I apologise if this is in the wrong category. Video conversion sounded like the appropriate channel. Anyways.

The past months, there have been certain film-enthusiast groups that rip 4K Blu-rays and mix them with Dolby Vision layers found on various streaming services, as a result the new remuxes are called hybrids. I think all of them or at least most of them? have HDR10 fallback (for devices not compatible with DV).

My question is; if this kind of Dolby Vision application is right. Aren't Dolby Vision metadata layers specific to their videos? Shouldn't the DV metadata layers found on streaming services not be suitable for videos from Blu-rays?

Do professional video editors accept this method?
    Mi casa su casa
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No professional video editor would do this cause it involves illegally downloading/obtaining videos.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    No professional video editor would do this cause it involves illegally downloading/obtaining videos.
    It depends who you ask. Every country has different laws. People purchasing films and ripping them for themselves for personal use, in many countries is not piracy. BUT this is not the topic. Piracy aside, THEORETICALLY, I am wondering if such application, ruins the Dolby Vision layers or is a legit way of creating a movie with Dolby Vision layers.
    Mi casa su casa
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You did ask specifically about professional video editors and if they would do this and the laws pertain to them no matter where they live due to copyright laws.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if professional video editors would want to work with already lossy encoded, 4:2:0 subsampled DV video in the first place.

FYI what makes a "hybrid" is that DV metadata (RPU) and video are from different sources. They are not always a baselayer from UHDBD combined with RPU of a ripped streaming service source. Different types of video can be combined with RPU that can be ripped from different sources/profiles.

"If this kind of Dolby Vision application is right" I wouldn't know. Legality issues aside, hybrids are widespread and popular not only because of possible backwards-compatibility but also they can look very good. Absolutely, neither functionality nor picture quality can be guaranteed. Hybrids and other homebrew DV works owe birthright to publicly available DV tools and TBH there's a seemingly growing number of morons busy with DV nowadays. It takes knowledge and practice to properly handle Dolby Vision files and a lot of garbage is floating around.

Even if a hybrid is well-made, they lack further standards and other issues may rise. As a specific example, tv's built-in players can behave very picky to DV support due to container type and profile. Also cropped DV video can cause issues. All 'n' all, for now, other than for home use I don't see much future in "professionals" taking up hybrids.
    Last edited by Ennio; 28th Jul 2022 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote