VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. so i got lord of the rings Box set limited edition.
    the movies coming in the Double sided discs containing both extended and theatrical cut.
    i tried to use DVD decrypter to to extract the theatrical cut. the end only provided third of the movie and starts from the scene at which frodo and gollum entering shelob's cave.

Any idea why is it happening and how to solve it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Antuiquity man View Post
    so i got lord of the rings Box set limited edition.
    the movies coming in the Double sided discs containing both extended and theatrical cut.
    i tried to use DVD decrypter to to extract the theatrical cut. the end only provided third of the movie and starts from the scene at which frodo and gollum entering shelob's cave.

try using either dvdfab or makemkv
    Quote Quote  
  3. As october263 posted DVDFab can do this.
    It has a free trial & limited use after the trial.

There is also DVDFab Passkey lite which is a decrypter.
    It is just not updated for the most current movies.
    It is usually about 60 days behind new releases.
    I have the paid version but I believe the Lite version will also rip to .ISO or the hard drive in DVD format.
    Bot Full movie only.

It can also be used with DVDShrink.

It usually can be used with DVDDecrypter but if you want to go that route why not use ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  4. As october263 posted DVDFab can do this.
    It has a free trial & limited use after the trial.

There is also DVDFab Passkey lite which is a decrypter.
    It is just not updated for the most current movies.
    It is usually about 60 days behind new releases.
    I have the paid version but I believe the Lite version will also rip to .ISO or the hard drive in DVD format.
    Bot Full movie only.

It can also be used with DVDShrink.

It usually can be used with DVDDecrypter but if you want to go that route why not use ImgBurn.
    Hey thanks for helping me out:
    i have few more questions:
    1:as for DVDFab passkey. how far behind is it in terms. movies from what years it currently supports?

2.is DVD fab paid version is one time payment or subscription?

3:how any of the mentioned software's deals with the issue of DVD regions?
    (one of the main reason i am using DVD decrypter its because it bypass it)
    i used to work with DVD shrink, but back then i was using "DVD region free" to solve that issue. and i couldn't really found it right now. not to mention that it was ages ago and i don't know what changed with DVD shrink ever sense then and even its still get new releases.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There is a paid version of Passkey & that is what I have.
    It is kept up to date for new releases.

It is the Passkey Lite that is freeware & as I posted about 60 days behind on new releases.

I believe a lifetime subscription is still available for DVDFab.
    I bought my lifetime license for DVDFab many years ago.
    I have not kept up with how it is sold now.

I forgot that DVDDecrypter removes regions.
    So does DVDShrink.

I'm sure I have the last version released 3.2.0.15 .
    It is several years old.
    I don't believe there is a newer version.
    To rip with DVDShrink you need to use Passkey or Passkey LIte. to decrypt.
    Unless you are ripping very old DVDs.

https://www.dvdfab.cn/passkey-lite.htm
    You can get DVDShrink on this site:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Shrink

You don't have to shrink a DVD with DVDShrink it will rip full size also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not wish to throw a spanner in the works (and I am often wrong) but here we do not, if I read about this release correctly, not standard single films one on each side of the 'flipper'.

Only one complete version of the film is stored and uses seamless branching to select the scenes relevant to each version.

So the rip is likely to extract the main movie which in this case is the extended cut. To get the theatrical version from that would require some additional work using tools such as PGCedit, Ifoedit etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I do not wish to throw a spanner in the works (and I am often wrong) but here we do not, if I read about this release correctly, not standard single films one on each side of the 'flipper'.

Only one complete version of the film is stored and uses seamless branching to select the scenes relevant to each version.

So the rip is likely to extract the main movie which in this case is the extended cut. To get the theatrical version from that would require some additional work using tools such as PGCedit, Ifoedit etc.
    I'll concede this to you.
    I have ripped very few flippers.
    So they may be structured this way.
    I know one flipper I have has a different movie on each side.
    I believe I have one other flipper but I believe it has 4:3 on one side & 16:9 on the other side of the same movie.
    As far as I know I don't have a flipper with Extended on one side & Theatrical on the other side.
    So I can't test this.

I avoid flippers as much as possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have several flippers that have unique content on either side. Also before dual-layer disks became the 'norm' one literally had to flip the disk to watch the second half (or even less) of one movie. And that was quite annoying.

It seems that this disk falls in to the latter category with an added feature as I describe.

It would help if the OP would confirm my suspicion if he has watched both and has to flip the disk regardless.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have watched some of the movies that had to be flipped for the second part or ending,
    It has been so long since I did this I forgot.

How does a ripper like DVDFab Copy work for the flippers that have "unique content on either side ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well surely any ripper works like a player. The laser can not see the side that is visible as you insert the disk. That initially fooled me since you see often see a small label at the centre such as 'Side 1' and think that is the side you present to the laser whereas it is the exact opposite.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i got lord of the rings Box set limited edition.

side A has both theatrical & extended part 1
    side B has both theatrical & extended part 2
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have several flippers that have unique content on either side. Also before dual-layer disks became the 'norm' one literally had to flip the disk to watch the second half (or even less) of one movie. And that was quite annoying.

It seems that this disk falls in to the latter category with an added feature as I describe.

It would help if the OP would confirm my suspicion if he has watched both and has to flip the disk regardless.
    i dont think its a flipper. i had a hard time understanding which side of the disc should be facing outwards and only one side worked.
    also, from the product page on amazon its sounded like your describtion in the first reply

if this the case i have two questions:

1: what "PGCedit", "Ifoedit" do and how can they help me?

2:from what you and other suggested what will be the best combination of software's to use and in what way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But from your topic header etc. you mention 'Double-sided'. And both sides should work else it would be impossible to see the whole film.

The term 'flipper' was coined in the early days of dvd - one rarely sees them nowadays - the last time I obtained one was a tv series that had the early season as a flipper with later series on regular single-sided disks - two plain shiney sides whereas a normal disk should have a full label on the plain side. Then there would be no confusion as to which is 'side-down'.

But I ask have you seen the complete film without having to turn the disk over ? I must also ask if you obtained your copy from a respectable source and is not a pirated version rebuilt from the original flipper and now burnt to a regular dual-layer disk.

The programs, which are not easy to learn, do what they 'say on the tin'. Re-edit the content of the raw data stored on the disk which you work with from a fully ripped copy of all ifos, vobs etc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't try to guess about what a person can learn to do.
    That being said I worked on a difficult DVD a long while back with PGCEdit.
    I had help from one of the writers of PGCEdit.
    Even then it was difficult.

IFOEdit is some easier but it can still be very difficult.

I will see if I can find some examples I have.

My recommendation is start with the free trial of DVDFab using DVD Copy .
    Rip the full movie.
    See if it does the rip correctly.

Then go from there.

This is an PDF article where IfoEdit is being use for part of the editing.
    Take a look at just part of what it can do.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahU...90lRotWK6ovHJ9
    Last edited by cholla; 27th Jul 2022 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But from your topic header etc. you mention 'Double-sided'. And both sides should work else it would be impossible to see the whole film.

The term 'flipper' was coined in the early days of dvd - one rarely sees them nowadays - the last time I obtained one was a tv series that had the early season as a flipper with later series on regular single-sided disks - two plain shiney sides whereas a normal disk should have a full label on the plain side. Then there would be no confusion as to which is 'side-down'.

But I ask have you seen the complete film without having to turn the disk over ? I must also ask if you obtained your copy from a respectable source and is not a pirated version rebuilt from the original flipper and now burnt to a regular dual-layer disk.

The programs, which are not easy to learn, do what they 'say on the tin'. Re-edit the content of the raw data stored on the disk which you work with from a fully ripped copy of all ifos, vobs etc.
    for your first question. no i have not watche the movie. i only when i wanted to rip it.

as for the second question. yes i did. i bought from amazon. it came in with the fency boxex and everything so im sure.
    its important that i never hard of terms like "double disk" "dual layered" and "flipers" up untill i tried to rip this movie.

so i am only saying what was written in the product page.

What do you get?
    Both the theatrical and extended versions of all three films--The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King--are on three double-sided discs. The versions use seamless branching, meaning that the scenes that are common to both versions are stored on the disc only once. If you choose to watch the extended version, the disc "branches" out to the added or extended scenes. What does this mean to the viewer? Not much. The viewing experience is the same because the branching is imperceptible. But because both versions of the film don't have to be stored on the disc in their entirety (which would be six or seven hours total for each film), both versions together fit on two sides of one disc. The downside is that whichever version you watch, you have to flip over the disc halfway through; the film breaks at the same spot it did on the Extended Edition. Also lost are the meager features included on the theatrical edition, plus the four commentary tracks, two discs of bonus features, and DTS 6.1 ES sound from the four-disc Extended Editions.
    you can see for yourself
    HTML Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GTLR2A?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I don't try to guess about what a person can learn to do.
    That being said I worked on a difficult DVD a long while back with PGCEdit.
    I had help from one of the writers of PGCEdit.
    Even then it was difficult.

IFOEdit is some easier but it can still be very difficult.

I will see if I can find some examples I have.

My recommendation is start with the free trial of DVDFab using DVD Copy .
    Rip the full movie.
    See if it does the rip correctly.

Then go from there.

This is an PDF article where IfoEdit is being use for part of the editing.
    Take a look at just part of what it can do.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahU...90lRotWK6ovHJ9
    Thanks for the help. if there is any basic taturial that can help explained how this softwares works that will be amazing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. I read that. Which was based on my earlier comment re "Flipper"

And if the other side does not work then you have a faulty disk. Succesfully playback/ripping then becomes academical.

But assuming that you can rip both sides, look at the software page links and there may well be links to tutorials. There will also be many topics in the forum about the softwares but these also work from rips and not direct from the disk. It is just that they are not for the faint-hearted and one does require some knowledge about dvd structure, commands etc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Yes. I read that. Which was based on my earlier comment re "Flipper"
    What?! i do not understand what you were trying to say here

any how jus to make sure i tested it. i can acess both version of the movie from one side. of the disk
    Last edited by Antuiquity man; 30th Jul 2022 at 20:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just read my original reply #6

But if the entire movie - both versions - are on one side of the disk then you do NOT have a double-sided disk (but that is the term you used although it is the correct one.) The term 'flipper' since you would turn ie 'flip' the disk over to see it all evolved from that.

And it is important to establish this since if these disks in the set are double-sided/'flippers' both sides must be ripped
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

But if the entire movie - both versions - are on one side of the disk then you do NOT have a double-sided disk (but that is the term you used although it is the correct one.) The term 'flipper' since you would turn ie 'flip' the disk over to see it all evolved from that.

And it is important to establish this since if these disks in the set are double-sided/'flippers' both sides must be ripped
    well good thing we established it then, so should i use the method you suggested with "
    IFOEdit"? then?

one does require some knowledge about dvd structure, commands etc.
    were can i learn more about this?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

well good thing we established it then, so should i use the method you suggested with "
    IFOEdit"? then?

one does require some knowledge about dvd structure, commands etc.
    were can i learn more about this?
    please watch this youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qxhrlNXP5Q
    this is what a flipper disc looks like.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wanna start with pgcedit then here is a good place.

https://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/index.html
    Quote Quote