VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would anyone be willing to sell me an 8mm tape with some analogue (video8 or Hi8, LP or SP) NTSC format footage recorded on it? I just tried playing a Digital8 NTSC tape on a Sony DCR-TRV320E PAL and captured the footage successfully with Ulead software. Previous attempts with other softwares had failed, as the picture was completely broken up and unusable. I would really like to try capturing an analogue 8mm recording, to see if it works. I'm in the U.K.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can not help with the tape but I must ask why NTSC ?

Yes, the camcorder does offer NTSC 3.58 and NTSC 4.43 playback on PAL but I see little point (just my opinion) why you need to test that unless you had other NTSC tapes apart from the one just transfered.

One other thing. What cable A/V, s-video or i-link are you using ? Other than the last one you are converting that digital recording to analogue and that initself might be cause of your previous issues.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Someone is Saudi Arabia wants to use it to transfer his analogue 8mm recordings to computer, via firewire, and he has a mixture of PAL and NTSC recordings. I didn't want to waste the postage costs to send it all that way, if it wasn't going to work. He doesn't want to risk sending a tape to me, in the U.K., as they have precious family footage on them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok.

I may be wrong here but AFAIK NTSC playback to PAL is NOT available for digital >> firewire/i-link. One would require a pure NTSC camcorder.

You could still do an analogue transfer via A/V or s-video as long as the capture device supported PAL60
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Yes, the camcorder does offer NTSC 3.58 and NTSC 4.43 playback on PAL
    Are you sure? the manual only mentions NTSC 4.43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ The manual quotes 2 options >> NTSC over PAL playback (surely that is standard 3.58) aka PAL60 and NTSC 4.43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This always gets me! So is it NTSC 3.58 60fps with PAL chroma?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Almost correct. 29.97 fps (59.94 fields) 720*480 and, yes, PAL chroma.

The one that actually throws me is NTSC 4.43. And only certain capture software such as vdub supports that. Even PAL60 has to be supported at driver level.

Back in the day, before I discovered this place, I was also, like the OP, using Ulead s/w to grab a DV stream. Of course I was only using PAL whereas we here have a mix
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yeah I know that part, I'm just too lazy to write down the decimal numbers and I tend to forget which decimal number goes to which frame rate .97 vs .94 and 29 vs 59, And also angry to why we're still using this idiotic decimal frame rates when there is really no need for them anymore, They served a purpose during the analog transmission era of TV but we should let go of now, We Americans don't like to let go off of old stuff for example cars.
    Quote Quote