VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello !

I tried to find a fix to a problem today and I mostly ended up here.

Since I didn't manage to be sure about my question I'll share it with you.

So I ordered 5 dvds and 2 of them just don't work.

When I put them in the dvd drive of my computer they spin a bit then stop. When I go in windows explorer to check the dvds content the dvds aren't even detected.

If I double click the dvd drive windows says "please insert a disc", like the drive is empty.

These 2 dvds are invisible to windows, yet they were sealed and brand new so they should work...

The 3 others work just fine they are properly detected when I put them in the dvd drive and I can explore their folders without problem.

So I guess this is just another protection, making dvds unusable on pc to avoid piracy ?

Tried bunch of things, changing dvd region, update dvd and motherboard firmware, etc etc ... but I still can't see them.

Thanks !
    Last edited by Sanet; 25th Jul 2022 at 19:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are these dvd movies/tv?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. yup different movies
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently bought a DVD that VLC wouldn't play on my PC. The disc was intended for a different region than mine but I'm not sure that was the only problem. It may also have used a form of copy protection that VLC's decryption library couldn't deal with.

At any rate, I used MakeMKV to decrypt and copy the videos from a problem DVD to my HDD as MKVs and DVDFab HD Decrypter to decrypt and copy the same DVD as files and folders. VLC had no trouble playing the MKVs and the DVD files and folders.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. I tried vlc and various decrypt tools but they won't work since my dvd drive is empty to them. It's like I put a dvd in but computer sees literally nothing.

Just contacted seller and he said it works on dvd players only not on computers weird.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sanet View Post
    I tried vlc and various decrypt tools but they won't work since my dvd drive is empty to them. It's like I put a dvd in but computer sees literally nothing.

Just contacted seller and he said it works on dvd players only not on computers weird.
    Which decryption tools have you tried?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried the dvds on a stand alone dvd player hooked up to a tv?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try disabling autoplay: https://www.howtogeek.com/236241/how-to-enable-disable-and-customize-autoplay-in-windows-10/

That will prevent Windows from automatically running software on the disc that disables the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Dvd43, ripit4me, dvd fab, and few others I can't remember. But yeah they see nothing in the dvd drive.

I didn't try on standalone dvd player since I got none.

Since I try on a fresh windows install I'll try to disable autorun tomorrow and let you know.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried vlc and various decrypt tools but they won't work since my dvd drive is empty to them. It's like I put a dvd in but computer sees literally nothing.

are the discs store bought discs or DVD-R discs ??
    Quote Quote  
  11. Turning off autoplay didn't help.

They are bought disks, they were sealed and even the disk itself has a sticker on it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Could you try to play the faulty discs on another computer?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Nope i couldn't try on another pc yet

using a LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device on fixed pc atm
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just out of curiosity, can Isobuster see them?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Sanet View Post
    Nope i couldn't try on another pc yet
    Be sure you disable autoplay before putting the disc in the drive of that other pc -- to prevent it installing malware that disables Windows' access to the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Turning off autoplay didn't help.

They are bought disks, they were sealed and even the disk itself has a sticker on it.
    can you post a pictures of one of the discs ?? discs shouldn't have any stickers on them unless there
    from a rental store.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Tried isobuster 5 and it says "blank cd" whith a faulty dvd

For the sticker nothing particular something like https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.905837999.8823/st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Well I started retracting the order

Not much I can do apparently, if computer can't see the dvd then screw it

Seller says it only works on dvd players, but i didnt find much info on dvd restricted to players only ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Compact_Disc_and_DVD_copy_protection_schemes
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That 's a blu-ray isn't it? DO you have such a player ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    That 's a blu-ray isn't it? DO you have such a player ?
    using a LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device on fixed pc atm
    It's a DVD drive: https://www.lg.com/us/support/products/documents/LG-DS-Spec-GH24NS95.pdf

Jesus. What a waste of time.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have recorded a DVD that reads as empty & ready to record to most Windows OS's.
    ISOBuster can read it but it doesn't always rip it correctly.

The recording mode was only on a limited amount of standalone DVD recorders.
    It is -VR mode.
    It was supposed to me a more editable mode for a standalone DVD recorder.

It has been a while since I messed with it but I believe it only works with DVD -R or DVD -RW disks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's nothing you can do since you don't have a stand alone dvd player or different dvd/blu-ray burner to try so best to send back the discs that don't work.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    What a waste of time.
    A bald yellow-headed man saying D'oh! comes to mind.
    Quote Quote