VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

First post, so don't hesitate if I've made some kind of noob mistake.

I own a couple of 3d Blu rays from back when I had Nvidia 3D vision, and I've recently acquired an Xgimi Elfin projector. It's a great little thing for the price (and my low standards), and I've had the itch to watch some 3d blu rays with it.

Problem is, it doesn't support frame packed 3d, only SBS! So I've been trying to find an easy way to quickly make the conversion.

I've given BD3D2MK3D a go along with makeMKV, but I've found my current process to be extremely slow.

Is there any method I don't know about perhaps? Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not sure I understand correctly. What is the original format ? You wrote "frame packed" but all 3D formats are based on frame-packing. SBS, for instance, is just a specific frame-packing method. Also, you wrote "I've given BD3D2MK3D a go along with makeMKV", so I guess that the input format is simply standard 3D BD. Correct ? If it's the case and you are looking for a free conversion method, then BD3D2MK3D and MakeMKV are the best tools. You may want a tool that decrypts the BD on the fly because it's faster than MakeMKV, but these tools are not free. Similarly, you can buy a program to decrypt and encode to SBS at the same time, but they are very expansive and the quality is less good. Si, IMO, currently, the best method remains BD3D2MK3D, despite the fact that it is necessary to use the slow MakeMKV to decrypt the movie. With a recent processor, you should not need more than a 2 or 3 hours to finish converting a movie to SBS. When I've started to do conversions (with old, now obsolete software), it was impossible to convert a single movie in less that 48 hours ! So, everything is relative !
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah,I I was fairly unclear there, due to my shaky nomenclature. So if I understand correctly, the blu rays use a sequential 3d mode when I decrypt them, which the projector does not support.

Since I'm also a stickler for quality, I'm wondering if full-sbs would be a good idea as to not punish image quality.

When you mention it used to take 48 hours, it does indeed put things into perspective!

I think it's just the frustration that one does not perceive a huge format change from the frame sequential mkv to SBS mkv, just the way the image is presented, but it still takes so long! That's due to re-encoding I guess?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @rsslcs,
    On the BD3D disc, stereoscopic files are stored as MVCbase (aka AVC) + MVCdifference (within the (physically on disc, interleaved) M2TS & SSIF files, respectively). That is that way for 99% of the BD3Ds out there.
    When decoded in realtime in a player, it gets sent out via HDMI usually as a "Frame-Packed" stream. This is a distinctly named special type of stream, even though, as r0lZ mentioned, all of those variations of formats possible could be considered under the class of frame-packed. The frame-packed stream that HDMI uses is similar to TaB (aka Over-Under), full rez each view, but with a guard band in the middle, all packed into a supersized frame. Note: this is not ever a "stored" format, but merely a transmission format using strictly HDMI protocols. This stream would ONLY be sent if handshake negotiation determined that the sink is capable of receiving and using 3D material from the source.
    Once received by a 3D-capable display, it is then decoded and separated yet again, first into 2 paired viewport buffers, and then into how ever the display generates 3D on its output (either 2x frame sequential alternating shutter Active or interline FPR Passive being the 2 most common consumer ones).

Some users online have tried to save the 2 views in their own form of frame-packed and store it in a file format that way, but that is a lesson in aggravation, since NOTHING natively plays that kind of storage layout format.

Most projectors that support 3D either support the HDMI 3D modes (which includes SbS-squeezed, TaB-squeezed, "frame-packed", and sometimes a few others). As far as I can remember, HDMI 3D transmission doesn't natively support 3D 2x frame sequential. If the projector supports "nVidia 3D" is is most often of the 2x frame sequential variety.

So it all depends on:
    1. what are you using to play the files
    2. what connection you have going to the projector
    3. what standards does your projector support

or, if you are playing the files directly from an embedded player within the projector,
    4. what files does the player support and recognize as 3D.

The common scenario of:
    1. HTPC using 3D software player app to play 3D files
    2. HDMI output
    3. HDMI 3D capable projector

would lead most to convert from BD3D to either MVC or SbS or TaB, in something like an MP4 or MKV filetype. Then the player would convert (to "frame-packed" mode) and/or direct transmit one of those other 2 to the projector, with the "3D" flags set, so the projector would automatically know which was being used and would switch into 3D mode (or notify the user to give them the option).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by rsslcs View Post
    Since I'm also a stickler for quality, I'm wondering if full-sbs would be a good idea as to not punish image quality.
    Well, yes, theoretically, Full-SBS is better than Half-SBS, since there is no resolution loss. However, as explained above by Cornucopia, you must be sure that your equipment supports Full-SBS. Currently, it's often the case, especially if the projector or TV supports UHD, but old TVs with relatively small image buffers are often unable to store the big double-image of Full-SBS (and the corresponding h264 level 5.0). I suggest therefore to do a quick test with a preview, a studio logo or anything faster to encode than a whole movie. (If you wish, you can also edit manually __ENCODE_3D.cmd to modify the number of frames to encode.)
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Amazing details guys, thanks for the insight.

What I'll be doing exactly, is playing M4V files over a local network drive via SMB. This luckily works perfectly for a 4k blu ray, and a half-sbs film that I managed to export (through sheer bone headed determination hehe)

I've migrated my DVD's and flat BD's at this point, only the scary 3D stuff is left to do.

I have the impression that what my projector supports for a software player (kodi in this case) is fairly rudimentary, and must be enabled via a settings menu which proposes SBS or OU. I'll follow the advice to export a quick short clip to see what happens.

I hope full-sbs will work, as up to 4k resolution is supported internally, despite the display output only being capable of 1080p.
    Quote Quote