VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a 1960 whose panel has almost entirely stopped working (play and FF still work). This normally wouldn't be an issue because I have the remote, however there is no eject button on the remote, only the unit itself, and that button is definitely not working. Does anybody have any experience with this unit and can steer me in the right direction? I've read it could be the ribbon cable to the chassis? Or if anybody knows how to eject tapes without dismantling the player, I'm all ears.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have both the Operating Instructions and Service Manual for the Panasonic ag-1960.

But neither indicate any method other than the fold down operating panel Eject button.

The Service Manual does include a procedure for extracting a tape manually, but it requires disassembly to get at the bottom of the mechanism.

This was an early editing deck, professional.. so they often guarded against unintentionally triggering a function with a combo switch, like the combo STOP/EJECT that was common on consumer decks.

I don't think this model gets much love from anyone anymore.

It did not have a Time Base Corrector or Digital Noise Reduction like the models that came after it.

It does have Picture Sharpening, and Color Saturation amplification, Digital Tracking and Flying Erase Heads.

It also has S-Video (Separated signal Y/C Connector) and S-VHS (Super VHS format recording and playback), with MTS Stereo.. so historically pretty advanced for its time.

It came out in mid 1989

I recently had to rebuild the power supply in mine, some of the electrolytics failed.

But otherwise its still going, and I power it up about every six months to exercise it with a tape.
    Last edited by jwillis84; 23rd Jul 2022 at 18:57.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by companda View Post
    I have a 1960 whose panel has almost entirely stopped working (play and FF still work). This normally wouldn't be an issue because I have the remote, however there is no eject button on the remote, only the unit itself, and that button is definitely not working. Does anybody have any experience with this unit and can steer me in the right direction? I've read it could be the ribbon cable to the chassis? Or if anybody knows how to eject tapes without dismantling the player, I'm all ears.
    try holding the eject button while unplugging the power cord - http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/10617-panasonic-ag-1980-a.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. From around the time of the AG1960 onwards, Panasonic almost never again changed the remote button codes for any of its consumer (PV) and prosumer (AG) models. So you can easily solve this eject problem by buying almost ANY conceivable second-hand Panasonic VCR remote that includes an eject button. The most versatile (and likely to include the eject function) are remotes made for mid to late 1990s Panasonic consumer VCRs, often referred to by Panasonic as "tower" or "light tower" remotes. These will replace every function on the original AG1960 remote, plus add a few others like "eject" and even jog/shuttle wheels. They sell very cheaply on eBay- at least a dozen variations, look for a remote similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Cable-DSS-Multibrand-Universal-Programmable/dp/B004SHAORA
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Orsetto is correct!

I "indirectly" confirmed that his suggestion (will) work with the Panasonic ag-1960

First I went through a lot of my Remote Controls from Panasonic Blu-Ray recorders, DVD Recorders and VCRs.

None of those worked with the Panasonic ag-1960.

However the Consumer grade VCR remotes "did" start turning on and punching "some" of the buttons on the ag-1960.

I have most of the VCR remote controls for the PV-4600 series and none have a "Light Tower" model remote.

I have a PV-S7690 which "approaches" an early design of the Light Tower, but it also does not have an "Eject" button on it.

There are some very controversial articles from those years about the "removal" of the Eject button from all remotes and the "Be Kind Rewind" push to force people to run the tape to the End and make it automatically Rewind before returning it to Blockbuster or the Video store.

This also forcibly "wore out" the belts, drive mechanics.. made customers "Wait" for the interminable "Fast Forward" --bounce-- and entire Tape "Rewind"

But they wanted to sell you more VCRs .. so guess who won that argument? For the social (good).. of course..

Anyhoo

I did not have a "Light Tower" remote control, which does have the "itsy bitsy" tiny Eject button in "smaller", lower case font at the top of the remote.

I was about to give up.. when I recalled I had a Logitech Harmony 665 sitting on my desk.

Its a Programmable / Learning Remote which hooks via USB to your PC and thence to a Logitech server in the Cloud for downloading remote controller methods and codes, long ago contributed to a "private" public sourced database of remote control learning sessions.

I hooked it up and the remote control contacted its Temporal Overlords.. and queried me for "What would you like to Control Today?" (metaphorically).

At first I tried Orsetto's "Light Tower" punching in Panasonic "Light Tower".. and... it dumbly blinked at me and did nothing.. then I scrolled down to the photographs in Orsetto's link of the backside of the Remote and typed in LSSQ0300 .. and the Logitech overlords barked back at me.. "That's not a device, that's a remote controller"

Chastened.. I then went to remotecontrols dot com which sells remotes and lists what various remote controller models are compatible with what VCR models.

The Panasonic "Light Tower" LSSQ0300 was compatible with the Panasonic PV-V4601

So I typed that in and the Logitech gods spat out a configuration and sync'd that to my Harmony 665 remote.

Its awkward using a Universal Programmable remote against a Device for which the major buttons are overloaded in layered menus.

But I found the [Eject] button.

I aimed it at the Panasonic ag-1960 and pressed "Eject"

And...

it worked.

So this is a round about way of saying.. what Orsetto said .. is indeed "The Truth" and more than just a "Speculation".

Most of his statements waste few words and are founded on bedrock.. you can take them to the bank.

But I was just bored on a hot and sunny Saturday and digging around in the hot VCR shed.

By the way.. always check your Remote Controls for left over batteries.. and ditch, digout or throw away (ALL) [Alkaline] batteries.

Not only do the Alkalines (ALL) leak.. regardless of the $25,000 promise that "this model of Alkaline is different".. they leave a toxic mess you should not touch.. or do so with a ten foot screw driver.

Use the more expensive "Lithium" batteries, even when they say to use Alkaline in the manual. They will provide the same/enough power, last longer.. and there is a fundamental design in them that releases pressure and does not disintegrate in the remote.
    Last edited by jwillis84; 24th Jul 2022 at 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Follow up, works for Panasonic ag-1970 as well .. but not the ag-5710

Since it was sitting there, I performed the same test with the Panasonic ag-1970

The ag-1970 similarly responded to the generic Panasonic "Light Tower .. aka PV-V4601" control codes.

I do not have an ag-1980 .. and probably never will.. it would be fun.. but i doubt I will ever have the funds to own one.

I live deep in the heart of Central Texas ( 106 F on a cool breezy day ).

A few years ago a TV Station in North West Texas seemed to be swapping out its equipment, and I got a really nice ag-5710

It looks to have been rarely used, and they did a fantastic job of boxing it up and shipping it to me.

I immediately took out a loan and shipped it to Tom Grant.. well I say "immediately" but I recall I had to get on his six month waiting list.. to get a shipping spot, for the chance he and his team would have time to service it. He does phenomenal work, but he budgets his work load carefully. Logistics are a key component of his business and he does not skimp on that.. including providing charts and graphics and instructions on how to box and ship a VCR to him.

Anyhoo

He gave it a once over and returned it in fantastic condition.. dare I say a bit spiffier? .. or maybe it was "waxed"

The ag-5710 is the "professional broadcasters" edition.. it has no TV Tuner, and apparently no Infared remote control sensor.

Instead it has a full width DB25 RS-232C connector on its back to support broadcast studio editing, from back in the days when they did not have computers or non-linear editing.

The ag-5710 came out in late 1995 .. so it was in the Age of "MS-DOS" .. Windows 95 was still just a baby.

It does respond to QuickBasic and other cute.. MS-DOS command line tty scripts..(thanks Scotland !) but no IR remote control circuits.

So its no surprise that the Logitech Harmony "Panasonic Light Tower .. PV-V4601" trick does not work with it.

But then again..

If you have it hooked up to pc via an RS-232C to USB adapter.. you can issue "Eject" commands to it all night long.
    Last edited by jwillis84; 24th Jul 2022 at 16:18.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
    Orsetto is correct!

By the way.. always check your Remote Controls for left over batteries.. and ditch, digout or throw away (ALL) [Alkaline] batteries.

Not only do the Alkalines (ALL) leak.. regardless of the $25,000 promise that "this model of Alkaline is different".. they leave a toxic mess you should not touch.. or do so with a ten foot screw driver.

Use the more expensive "Lithium" batteries, even when they say to use Alkaline in the manual. They will provide the same/enough power, last longer.. and there is a fundamental design in them that releases pressure and does not disintegrate in the remote.
    So glad you added that last bit -- so important ! Those who have been around the block a few times -- or learned the hard way -- should know this. Alkaline batteries are simply terrible ! As part of learning the hard way, I've used 9x% isopropyl to clean out the white powdery mess the alkalines have left behind, in several remotes, flashlights, and other devices. But sometimes the device could not be salvaged. I can even tell you what is possibly the worst example: computer circuit boards (generally the MPU one, I think) in a pinball machine, where memory score info etc. is retained. The acid damage from leaks can trash the whole damn board. This spurred the creation of a stand-off auxiliary battery holder accessory that is still sold, although you can just cut to the chase by substituting lithium batteries for the alkaline. The nominally more expensive lithium batteries become a cheap and essential insurance.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 31st Jul 2022 at 12:08.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey all. Appreciate the info! Just an FYI for anyone that may be interested, pressing record on the remote will eject the tape as long as its tab has been removed. The VCR was a cheap impulse buy a few months ago, so I'm just going to let it go.
    Quote Quote