VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm sure it's a feature, but 2 sets of subtitles show:
    1. In the video player - old version of subtitles
    2. Below the video player - new version of subtitles as just edited

How do I get just the recently edited version of the subtitles to show?

It's confusing to have both showing. How do I turn the old version off?

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you sure one of the subs isn't burned into the video? In which case you can't turn it off.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, Jagabo, for your reply.

Yes, I am absolutely certain that the subtitles are NOT burned into the video.

I had to download the subtitles to this video because none came with the
    MP4 file. Also, when I play it in VLC, there are no burned in subtitles--I have
    to load the .srt file to get them to show up.

I've hunted around in Subtitle Edit for the option to turn off the "old"
    subtitles in the program. I've also searched all over the Web for a hint
    to turn them off.

The closest answer to this problem showed up on this website, but it didn't
    exactly solve the problem. I thought I would sign up to this site to see if
    some experienced user of Subtitle Edit might know where the
    "hidden off switch" is for this "feature."

Any other ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This rings a bell from loooong ago, when I experienced this too. Can't remember though under what circumstances and how I dealt with it.

Maybe SE can't adjust videoplayer's certain behaviour. You can try a different video engine in the settings. I have mpv set and it doesn't show soft subs.

Not SE related, a workaround of course would be using a remux of the mp4 without the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I can't duplicate the problem so I'm just guessing... But yes, since Subtitle Edit uses an external player to view the video, maybe that player is drawing the "original" subs. Have you tried the different Video Player? Options -> Settings -> Video Player... Other settings there...
    Quote Quote  
  6. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Just an idea, try to rename the subtittle to whatever make it different from the movie file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Load the mp4 file into MKVToolNix and it will show if there is an internal subtitle track. If there is simply untick it and then remux as a mkv file. No video processing takes place, just wraps the mp4 in a mkv container. If you want to have the corrected sub within the mkv file you can always remux again loading in the corrected srt file.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, Guys, for the info.

I tried Locotus' workaround of renaming the .srt file and then reloading
    everything. This is cumbersome and annoying, but it seems to work.

Ennio's and Jagabo's suggestion of using a different video player seemed
    promising. However, SubtitleEdit won't let me do that. All the other
    options are grayed out, even though most of them exist on this
    computer. I guess I'll need to research this and experiment. If no
    luck, I'll start another thread.

Thanks again for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FadeToPurple View Post
    SubtitleEdit won't let me do that. All the other options are grayed out, even though most of them exist on this computer.
    I agree this a bit confusing in SE. It depends on how the players already "exist" on your pc. As in portable or installed, and in 32 or 64 bit.

If you run SE 64 bit, note that it needs VLC also in 64 bit. If you haven't installed VLC but run it portable, you have to use the browse button first. It is not greyed out, browse to where the portable vlc.exe is. Once confirmed, you'll notice the " VLC path" is populated an the option for VLC will not be greyed out anymore.

For MPV, first hit the "Download mpv lib" button. Beware, this is a bit tricky: in the next download window, you would naturally tend to click on "OK". Don't. Click on "Download mpv lib" once again. This will actually start download and install MPV within SE. Confirmation will pop-up and MPV is ready.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks, Ennio. I downloaded and installed the VLC 64-bit version, and it showed up as an option.
    I'll try VLC for a while to see what happens.

(Side note: Have to use the old version: 2.2.5.1 since it seems to be the newest VLC version that
    downloads subtitles. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)

For MPV: when I click the "Download mpv lib" button, I get a pop-up saying:

=====================================
    Unable to download mpv - please re-try later!

Unable to connect to the remote server

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Side note: Have to use the old version: 2.2.5.1 since it seems to be the newest VLC version that downloads subtitles. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
    I wouldn't know, I haven't used VLC for quite some time. May it's the reason why I switched to MPV at the time

Unable to download mpv - please re-try later!

Unable to connect to the remote server

Any ideas?
    Try running SE as Administrator. If that doesn't do it, maybe the remote server actually is temporary down.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks, Ennio.

I tried running SubtitleEdit as administrator to try install MPV, but got the same error.

Can MPV be installed manually?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think SE would detect mpv being installed and make it eligable for selection. You can give it a go, of course.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW what version of SE are you running? I just tried to download the mpv lib and all went well.
    I noticed the download started right after the first click, contrary to my usual experience.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can download libmpv from here: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/support-files/blob/master/mpv/libmpv2-64.zip
    ( - or the very latest version here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/libmpv/ - take the "*x86_64*.7z" for 64-bit OS )

Unpack "mpv-2.dll" to your SE data folder... press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D in SE to open the SE data folder.

@Ennio: Download of mpv improved a little... I sometimes try to listen to feedback
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback, Nikse.
    I didn't know this way to install latest mpv. Never too old to learn!
    Quote Quote