VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a problem with no picture. I am sure it is the HDMI concact on the player. Can i replace it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can replace the hdmi if you have the replacement part and know how to take the player apart and know how to solder connections that are flat and hard to take off.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I guess it is different hdmi contacts from example TV or blu-ray? Can i solder it away with a heatgun?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you don't already know the answer to that, you should not do it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was just curious when you can use a heatgun to remove U12 on pcb to hard drives. Those should be more sensitive? It looks like this.

Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As long as you know how to use a heat gun to unsolder fine traces then you are good to go.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I guess it must be a special hdmi contact?
    Quote Quote  
  8. It could be generic, or it might be "special" in the sense the player mfr customized some aspect of it.

Obtaining the actual part might prove difficult. The OEM mfr for the Phillips brand is Funai, who in recent years has turned away from selling repair parts directly to consumers (a shame, as they used to be surprisingly open to such requests). According to the BDP7100 service manual, Funai follows the pattern of other electronics mfrs: "component level repairs" (such as replacing just the HDMI port itself) is not officially supported so they do not offer just that one small part (or any info about its specs or where they sourced it from). The official BDP7100 service procedure is to remove and replace the modular circuit board the HDMI port is attached to. The HDMI board is listed as part number "(P001) 996510008902 MAIN PCBA ASSEMBLY".

I assume you want to repair this player because it has some feature missing from newer models. If so, its probably a bad idea to screw around with a heat gun and component-level repair. Instead, you'd be better off replacing the complete modular circuit board: if you can't get one from Funai, consider looking for a donor unit on the second hand market (plenty of players out there with dead disc drives but good circuit boards). OTOH, if you just want to tinker, don't actually place any significant value on this BDP7100 (and don't particularly care if you wreck it in a repair attempt), you could try replacing the HDMI port with whatever you can patch together.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes i really like the design and remote. I got it worked in my tv 3 but not in the others. My other blu-ray worked in all so i guess it is something wrong with the Blu-ray port as i wrote.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Or, that player is trying to negotiate at rez that is only acceptable to tv3, whereas your other player(s) have more rez options with which to negotiate.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Whats the specs of the tvs that your blu-ray player don't work on?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I had one before it worked and the HDMI to the TV works. I do have a older 48 TV but i guess it is the HDMI concact on the Blu-ray. I am almost sure since it works on my TV 3 but not on TV 2 like it use to do. Another blu-ray works on TV 2
    Quote Quote  
  13. A problem/failure with your Phillips BDP hardware HDMI connection would almost certainly manifest across any and all TVs you try to play it on. The fact that it plays fine on your "TV3" but not on your "TV2" suggests the conflict may be localized to "TV2". As others have already asked you to do earlier in this thread, you really need to look at the label on the back of "TV2" and tell us the exact brand name and model of the TV that your Phillips isn't cooperating with. That is the only way anyone here can research the TV and narrow down how/if the issue can be resolved.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you say you once owned another identical Phillips 7100 that would play fine on both TV2 and TV3. That further suggests the likelihood of a recent settings/menu glitch with TV2, or a settings glitch in your 7100 that has it outputting a signal format TV2 doesn't accept, or that TV2 is the unit that has developed an HDMI socket defect. The 7100 is a fairly old BD player, so I don't think you could be having an HDMI handshake issue with an older 48" TV (this would be more likely with brand new player connected to old plasma TV).

Even if the problem does eventually get confirmed as the HDMI socket in your player, I would definitely not mess around trying to do a component repair of replacing just the socket piece. Funai/Phillips hasn't exactly been a top tier mfr since the 1980s: there's a good chance the 7100 circuit board would simply melt under a standard heat gun (or some other unexpected mishap). Given this player has certain features unobtainable in current models (like analog output connections), if you need those features I strongly recommend looking for a donor Philips model on the used market that contains the same circuit board, and just swapping it out. Better yet, just live with the fact you can only use your 7100 on certain TVs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The TV 2 is a old Sagemaxium HD-L32T i kept it for the nice design. The Blu-ray worked fine for 2 years in it. But you got a point. The sound to the TV hdmi don't work. You can't hear a single word only like a scratch cd. I guess the HDMI can be broken in the TV when the sound don't work in blu-ray or TV receiver.
    Quote Quote