VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. PFClean has some serious system requirements to justify the astronomical price they hope to sell this nonsense for.

Minimum
    PROCESSOR: Intel / AMD 4 cores
    MEMORY: 8GB
    GPU: Dedicated GPU, running OpenCL 1.2 or above
    GPU VRAM: 4GB
    DISPLAY: Minimum of 1920×1200
    INTERFACE: 3 button mouse
    STORAGE: 2GB of available space for installation

Recommended (4K)
    PROCESSOR: 3.0GHz or more with at least 8 cores
    MEMORY: 64GB
    GPU: Dual GPU, running OpenCL 1.2 or above
    GPU VRAM: 8GB
    DISPLAY: Dual UHD 3840×2160 displays
    INTERFACE: 3 button mouse
    STORAGE: SSD storage device

However even on a older PC with 96GB RAM the usage is only 8GB, The CPU used is 8% on old x5680????? The GPU is old GTX 660 and used 25%, is this a joke? The app wastes 90% of CPU power, wastes second GPU if you install it. This is on 2018version the one that still supported distributed processing so you could join multiple PCS's in a LAN for a render farm. Now these guys who makes this crappy app, state this is not available anymore. WOW what a progress they make.

Quote Quote  
  2. So why I think this software is crap, well the time it takes to do any work is too damn long even for 2K. For 4K it would take ages.
    They do not care to fix the JPG file renderer that would save disk space. They know it works wrong but replies they have no time to fix it....

You pay more for electricity bills then get payments for clients for any real amount of work, not for just 3min videos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't understand this rant. This software is not aimed at you, or at most of the other people who frequent this forum. It is designed for professionals and is priced and marketed as such.

The hardware requirements are trivial. My 13-year old workstations easily meets them.

What you need to understand is that companies produce and sell products for different markets, and both the product and the support are quite different. This is especially true of the video editing industry. Years ago, in the mid 1990s, I had lunch with a senior executive at Pinnacle Systems. He gave me a great overview of the video editing industry as it existed at that time. I don't think this has changed much, although the low end has gotten less expensive.

You may remember Pinnacle as the company that produced the low-end video editing program called Studio DV. What I found out was that they had three distinct separate divisions: Consumer, Commercial, and Broadcast. Studio DV was marketed by the Consumer division, was priced at $49 and sold in a box at computer stores (remember them?). The Commercial division sold both hardware and software to companies so they could produce training, marketing, and promotional videos. That software was sold via distributors and reps and priced at several thousand dollars.

The Broadcast division sold software directly to TV stations and "Hollywood" production studios. It was sold by a direct sales force and was priced in the tens of thousands of dollars. As I remember, I think it required a Silicon Graphics workstation, or something similar, which cost 10x (or more) of what even the most expensive computer an individual could buy at the time.

As for electricity, go look up articles on what it took to produce the first Jurassic Park movie. The number of computers (75 SGI workstations) and the amount of time it took them to create the effects for the six minutes of CGI in that film is mind-boggling. It took those computers, working together, several hours to produce one frame.
    Quote Quote  
  4. "This software is not aimed at you, or at most of the other people who frequent this forum."

Well how do you know? It's aimed at those who need to restore video. Am I in the wrong forum?, well no this is the "Restoration" section.

Well you also need to understand that nothing cost as much to produce for what it is sold. This is no rant, if a company respects itself ant its customers it better have proper marketing. Trying the sell and forget tactics for PFClean did not work so the company tried renting strategy, afterwards they do not even provide demos of their "Archival quality" restoration software.

"The hardware requirements are trivial. My 13-year old workstations easily meets them."

Well producing 0.61FPS with 90% of CPU power, wasted meaning not used is not anything to the Hollywood standards if you ask anybody.
    GPU is old GTX 660 and used 25% I added another GPU unit still not used much 10-15% tops. FPS increased to 0.71FPS from 0.61FPS. This is rendering 2K frame size with Digital Wetgate etc.

The program on the other hand is so slow for unknown reasons. So I wanted to ask perhaps somebody knows why? Can it even make 1FPS?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's lots of editing programs being launched and most people here don't even give really notice cause most programs we use are almost always better and free.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. We all know you didn't buy a license for it (not your paygrade) but found a copy somewhere ( just like i did hehe) so deal with that accordingly.Using smaller cached version of your file may improve things. Loading/processing 2K files, i can't imagine how slow that can be.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm here to discuss restoration side of things, licensing has nothing to do with it. Anyone can get trial version.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Smile_M View Post
    I'm here to discuss restoration side of things, licensing has nothing to do with it. Anyone can get trial version.
    You have made three posts and not one of them mentioned -- even once -- anything about restoration. All you are doing is ranting, and you are doing so in a way which shows you know absolutely nothing about any aspect of video or film restoration.

If you have a legitimate question, then ask it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PFClean has been used on some Disney film restorations. Maybe a Wizard of Oz. I've seen it in those documentaries, though it's never named. But if you know the software, you can see it in use. It's actually quite good for what it does. There's a steep learning curve, probably some training needed. It's not meant for the cheapskate warez pirate to download.

There are no trial versions, not for years. Nice try.

I actually had legit access to it some years ago, and it was as difficult to use as Avisynth. But with a mouse GUI, not command line scripts. I got nowhere with it, though I didn't have time to dedicate to learning it. It wasn't a dummy friendly GUI. It has an engineering type interface, like DVD-Lab or Scenarist (two authoring programs warez pirates used to whine about, "it's too hard, it sucks, wah!")
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote