VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone o/

So, someone gave me a somewhat old DVD Player/Home Teather system with 5.1 surround speakers because the speakers were damaged. I fixed the speakers and now I'm trying to use it without actually DVDs because I don't have a DVD burner.
    The DVD player has a USB port that I can use it to play videos in a pendrive or something like it. The problem is, of all the files I have tried, only one played correctly using the 5.1 surround speakers. I have attached the file that plays correctly in this thread and below is the video file data:

================================================== ===
    Video
    Codec 4CC: DIV3
    Image Size: 576 x 432
    Aspect Ratio: 1:1 (1:1)
    Frame Rate: 29.969 fps
    Average Bitrate: 2012 kbps
    Total Duration: 00:00:48.615

Video Codec Extradata
    Size: 0

Audio (1 active track(s))
    Codec: AC3
    Channels: 5
    Bitrate: 56000 Bps / 448 kbps
    Frequency: 48000 Hz

Since then I have been trying to convert other video files with 5.1 audio like some MKV and MP4 using Avidemux and Freemake Video Converter to make them play in my DVD Player like the file I attached, but every codec or conversion setting I have used resulted in a file the DVD Player can't play.
    What am I doing wrong here? What do I have to do to convert videos that will play just like the attached file? Can someone here help?
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by mynameisdot; 4th Jul 2022 at 14:18.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try this one (remuxed with new encoded audio).
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry, I think I may have expressed myself poorly. English is not my main language.

What I meant is, the file I have attached works great in my DVD Player via USB and can use the 5.1 surround speakers correctly. What I want to do is convert other files like MKV and MP4 files to play in my DVD Player just like this one already does.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What exactly does not work with the other videos?
    Do you see no picture, or do you see the picture but no sound, or vice versa?
    Or is only the sound not 5.1 surround?
    Did you play my sample video? Does it work?
    (NB The video you attached is mpeg4 (divx) encoded, the audio ac3 5.1 448 kb/s, no rocket science here).
    Last edited by ProWo; 4th Jul 2022 at 15:00.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Probably for an old player you just need to convert your files first of all not in .mp4, .mkv etc but in the old .avi files (exactly like your file attached) and with xvid codec should be worked. Sometimes there was necessary to convert audio in mp3 but, as I understand, in your case it's not necessary. Anyway with Avidemux, if I remember, you need to select "mpeg4 (xvid)", go to "configure" and with xvid try "h263" like quantization the first time and the second time "mpeg". Sometimes even this detail could do the difference. Obviously choose the .avi muxer in Avidemux. I think that's enough to solve your problem. If it doesn't, obviously you need to download divx codec and encode files in .avi with it. I recommend with the software called VirtualDub.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight91; 4th Jul 2022 at 16:03.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    What exactly does not work with the other videos?
    Do you see no picture, or do you see the picture but no sound, or vice versa?
    Or is only the sound not 5.1 surround?
    Did you play my sample video? Does it work?
    (NB The video you attached is mpeg4 (divx) encoded, the audio ac3 5.1 448 kb/s, no rocket science here).
    If it's a video file with extension .MKV or .MP4 the DVD Player doesn't even show it in the file selection screen.
    I've tried remuxing those files to .AVI using Avidemux without changing the video/audio encoding (just selecting 'Copy' under 'Video Output' and under 'Audio Output', and selecting 'AVI Muxer' under 'Output Format'). That results in the DVD Player being able to show the file in the file selection screen, but displays the message "File not supported" when selected.
    Then I tried selecting different options (not all of them yet) under 'Video Output', and under 'Audio Output' in Avidemux but they all result in the same error message ("File not supported") when selected in the DVD Player. I also tried different files to convert (some movies and episodes I have in both .MKV and .MP4 formats).
    Sorry, I did not try your file cause I thought you had misunderstood me since my file with divx video and ac3 audio was already working fine in my DVD Player. But I will today when I get home from work.

Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight91 View Post
    Probably for an old player you just need to convert your files first of all not in .mp4, .mkv etc but in the old .avi files (exactly like your file attached) and with xvid codec should be worked. Sometimes there was necessary to convert audio in mp3 but, as I understand, in your case it's not necessary. Anyway with Avidemux, if I remember, you need to select "mpeg4 (xvid)", go to "configure" and with xvid try "h263" like quantization the first time and the second time "mpeg". Sometimes even this detail could do the difference. Obviously choose the .avi muxer in Avidemux. I think that's enough to solve your problem. If it doesn't, obviously you need to download divx codec and encode files in .avi with it. I recommend with the software called VirtualDub.
    In Avidemux I can see 'Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4)' and 'Mpeg4 AVC (x264)' as options under 'Video Output'. As I said, I tried different options under 'Video Output' but I don't remember exactly which ones since I don't know much about this stuff. I think I tried one of those 'Mpeg4' options, but did not mess with the 'Configure' window.
    I will try what you said as soon as I get home today.
    What should I select under 'Audio Output'? AC3 (Aften) or AC3(lav)?

Thank you all so much for trying to help. I really aprecciate that since I am trying this for days now and it supposed to be a surprise for someone who is coming home next week.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by mynameisdot View Post
    If it's a video file with extension .MKV or .MP4 the DVD Player doesn't even show it in the file selection screen.
    I've tried remuxing those files to .AVI using Avidemux without changing the video/audio encoding (just selecting 'Copy' under 'Video Output' and under 'Audio Output', and selecting 'AVI Muxer' under 'Output Format'). That results in the DVD Player being able to show the file in the file selection screen, but displays the message "File not supported" when selected.
    Then I tried selecting different options (not all of them yet) under 'Video Output', and under 'Audio Output' in Avidemux but they all result in the same error message ("File not supported") when selected in the DVD Player. I also tried different files to convert (some movies and episodes I have in both .MKV and .MP4 formats).
    Sorry, I did not try your file cause I thought you had misunderstood me since my file with divx video and ac3 audio was already working fine in my DVD Player. But I will today when I get home from work.
    That's because if you select "Copy" doesn't change anything of the original video file except the container format (.mkv, .mp4, .avi, etc) and that's the problem. Change the container is not enough to convert a video file if all the rest is still the same, and exactly like before your player doesn't support it.

Originally Posted by mynameisdot View Post
    In Avidemux I can see 'Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4)' and 'Mpeg4 AVC (x264)' as options under 'Video Output'. As I said, I tried different options under 'Video Output' but I don't remember exactly which ones since I don't know much about this stuff. I think I tried one of those 'Mpeg4' options, but did not mess with the 'Configure' window.
    I will try what you said as soon as I get home today.
    What should I select under 'Audio Output'? AC3 (Aften) or AC3(lav)?
    Avc x264 is the classic codec of .mp4 or .mkv files, the same that your player don't support. For an old player you have to choose "mpeg4 xvid" and "avi muxer" in Avidemux. For the audio, if the original file alredy has an audio Ac3 5.1 you can just select "Copy" because you don't need to convert it for a second time. If you need to convert select "Ac3 Aften".
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight91; 5th Jul 2022 at 14:44.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Test this one:

If it works, I'll tell you how to proceed.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There could also be a difference in player response if the file is DIVX3 vs DIVX4, even though both *SHOULD* be mpeg4ASP under the hood. But in AVI container, they do have different 4CCs and the player may be checking that.
    May have further constraints based on Mpeg4 family Profiles & Levels.
    Could be a difference between mpeg4SP and mpeg4ASP (oldtimers may remember that QT could not natively encode to mpeg4ASP, only by using 3rd party encoders like DIVX, XVID, so there was at that time a common dichotomy both in encoders and decoders, and that probably extended to players as well).

Best way to get more definitive info is to give us the player's model # so we can all see in the instruction manual what specific formats it says it supports.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight91 View Post
    Avc x264 is the classic codec of .mp4 or .mkv files, the same that your player don't support. For an old player you have to choose "mpeg4 xvid" and "avi muxer" in Avidemux. For the audio, if the original file alredy has an audio Ac3 5.1 you can just select "Copy" because you don't need to convert it for a second time. If you need to convert select "Ac3 Aften".
    Ok. I tried converting a .mp4 file with H264 video and AC3 audio. I selected 'Mpeg ASP (xvid4)' under 'Video Ouptut' and tried both 'H.263' and 'MPEG' in 'Quantization type' like you said before. Under 'Audio Output' I tried selecting 'Copy' and also 'AC3 (Aften)'. So these are the settings I end up trying in Avidemux:

1:
    Video Output: Mpeg ASP (xvid4)
    Quantization type:H.263

Audio Output: Copy

Output Format: AVI Muxer
    Muxing format: AVI

2:
    Quantization type:MPEG

3:

Audio Output:AC3 (Aften)

4:

Audio Output: AC3 (Aften)

Unfortunately, all of the tries resulted in files the DVD Player cannot play, displaying the same message "File not supported". Should I try something else than Avidemux?

Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Test this one:

If it works, I'll tell you how to proceed.
    I did. The video played fine but with no audio unfortunately. Anyay I seet it as progress. When I play your file, the DVD Player displays this icon which I think means 'doulby digital':
    [Attachment 65777 - Click to enlarge]

Then I tried playing again the file I first uploaded here to see if your file playing without audio was a problem with the speaker or volume, but my file continues to play perfectly using all the speakers correctly.
    In my PC however, your file plays just fine with good audio.
    Is there something else I can do from here?

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    There could also be a difference in player response if the file is DIVX3 vs DIVX4, even though both *SHOULD* be mpeg4ASP under the hood. But in AVI container, they do have different 4CCs and the player may be checking that.
    May have further constraints based on Mpeg4 family Profiles & Levels.
    Could be a difference between mpeg4SP and mpeg4ASP (oldtimers may remember that QT could not natively encode to mpeg4ASP, only by using 3rd party encoders like DIVX, XVID, so there was at that time a common dichotomy both in encoders and decoders, and that probably extended to players as well).

Best way to get more definitive info is to give us the player's model # so we can all see in the instruction manual what specific formats it says it supports.

Scott
    Hi Scott o/
    These were the info I could see on the DVD Player:
    [Attachment 65783 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 65784 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 65785 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 65786 - Click to enlarge]

Do they help in anything?

Thank you all so much for the effort. What is really bugging me at this point is the fact that the file I first uploaded here works perfectly with 5.1 surround audio in this DVD Player via USB, but none of the dozens files I tried to convert using Avidemux seems to work for me. I didn't give up though lol. If I keep getting help from you guys, I will continue to try and make this work.
    Thank you again!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by mynameisdot View Post
    Ok. I tried converting a .mp4 file with H264 video and AC3 audio. I selected 'Mpeg ASP (xvid4)' under 'Video Ouptut' and tried both 'H.263' and 'MPEG' in 'Quantization type' like you said before. Under 'Audio Output' I tried selecting 'Copy' and also 'AC3 (Aften)'. So these are the settings I end up trying in Avidemux:

1:

2:

3:

Audio Output:AC3 (Aften)

4:

Audio Output: AC3 (Aften)

Unfortunately, all of the tries resulted in files the DVD Player cannot play, displaying the same message "File not supported". Should I try something else than Avidemux?
    You almost certainly need to reduce the frame size to 720x576 or less. Players from that era could not handle high definition video.

Try the attached Divx 5 file from the old Divx Test CD.

My recommendation is to throw the player away and buy a modern standalone media player that will play almost everything.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Jul 2022 at 22:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, so the manual on pg 21 says the resolution cannot be larger than 800x600 (suggest you keep it at std SD), nor higher framerate than 30FPS, and must be properly interleaved in the mux (probably something like 1sec V, 1sec A, 1sec V, 1sec A...). Only a few 4CCs are allowed - DIVX3, DIVX4, DIVX5 and a few others allowed but not XVID.

I agree with jagabo, if you can afford it at all you should get a newer player.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by mynameisdot View Post
    Ok. I tried converting a .mp4 file with H264 video and AC3 audio. I selected 'Mpeg ASP (xvid4)' under 'Video Ouptut' and tried both 'H.263' and 'MPEG' in 'Quantization type' like you said before. Under 'Audio Output' I tried selecting 'Copy' and also 'AC3 (Aften)'.
    Well, in Avidemux there isn't divx codec and...
    From the online manual these are the only files supported by your old player:
    DVD
    Video CDs
    Audio CDs
    MP3 files
    WMA files
    JPEG files
    DivX files
    For more details:
    DivX disc compatibility with this player is limited
    as follows:
    • Available resolution size of the DivX file is under
    800x600 (W x H) pixel.
    • The file name of the DivX subtitle is available by
    45 characters.
    • If there is impossible code to express in the DivX
    file, it may be displayed as " _ " mark on the
    display.
    • If the number of the screen frame is over 30
    per 1 second, this unit may not operate
    normally.
    • If the video and audio structure of recorded
    files are not interleaved, either video or audio
    is outputted.
    Playable DivX file
    • ".avi ", ".mpg ", ".mpeg ", ".divx"
    Playable Subtitle format
    SubRip(*.srt/*.txt)
    SAMI(*.smi)
    SubStation Alpha(*.ssa/*.txt)
    MicroDVD(*.sub/*.txt)
    SubViewer 2.0(*.sub/*.txt)
    VobSub(*.sub)
    Playable Codec format
    • "DIVX3.xx ", "DIVX4.xx ", "DIVX5.xx ",
    "MP43 ", "3IVX ".
    Playable Audio format
    "AC3 ", "DTS ", "PCM ", "MP3 ", "WMA ".
    • Sampling frequency: within 32 - 48 kHz (MP3),
    within 24 - 48kHz (WMA)
    • Bit rate: within 32 - 320kbps (MP3),
    40 - 192kbps (WMA)
    Try to test if the official converter is right for you. Download and install it from divx.com (reject additional software during installation). Run from desktop, add video files, select home theater profile, in the audio options select pass-through original audio tracks and then click the play button at the top left.

Anyway...
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    My recommendation is to throw the player away and buy a modern standalone media player that will play almost everything.
    I agree with them.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight91; 7th Jul 2022 at 02:49.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone o/

So, someone gave me a somewhat old DVD Player/Home Teather system with 5.1 surround speakers because the speakers were damaged. I fixed the speakers and now I'm trying to use it without actually DVDs because I don't have a DVD burner.
    The DVD player has a USB port that I can use it to play videos in a pendrive or something like it. The problem is, of all the files I have tried, only one played correctly using the 5.1 surround speakers. I have attached the file that plays correctly in this thread and below is the video file data:

Video
    Codec 4CC: DIV3
    Image Size: 576 x 432
    Aspect Ratio: 1:1 (1:1)
    Frame Rate: 29.969 fps
    Average Bitrate: 2012 kbps

Video Codec Extradata
    Size: 0

Audio (1 active track(s))
    Codec: AC3
    Channels: 5
    Bitrate: 56000 Bps / 448 kbps
    Frequency: 48000 Hz

Since then I have been trying to convert other video files with 5.1 audio like some MKV and MP4 using Avidemux and Freemake Video Converter to make them play in my DVD Player like the file I attached, but every codec or conversion setting I have used resulted in a file the DVD Player can't play.
    What am I doing wrong here? What do I have to do to convert videos that will play just like the attached file? Can someone here help?
    see page 8 of 28 - https://manualzz.com/doc/49456508/lg-ht502thw-owner%E2%80%99s-manual
    what is the flash drive formatted as, FAT16 or FAT32 ?? try formatting the drive as FAT32 and then retry the files again
    and see if the'll play.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I did some research and found out that the ffmpeg avi muxer is buggy. Try the included file, it should work.
    Then report here.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    DIVX3, DIVX4, DIVX5 and a few others allowed but not XVID.
    But those aren't fourcc codes (ie, the four letter code within the AVI file that identifies the video codec). And it's rare for Divx certified players to mention Xvid in their docs (I suspect not mentioning Xvid may be part of the Divx license). So XVID (and other MPEG 4 Part 2 encoders) may be supported (as long as one avoids using GMC and QPEL). If nothing else Fourcc Changer (or a hex editor) can probably be used to change the fourcc to DIVX or DX50.

I found a copy of the old Divx Test CD at archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071214233742/http://divxtest.isstar.net/

Download the ISO, burn it as a CD, and test all the various files. If you can't burn a CD, mount the ISO as a virtual CD in windows, copy all the files to a thumbdrive or network share, and see which videos you can/can't play.

<edit>

Well, it looks like the entire file wasn't archived by archive.org. Every downloader I tried failed after downloading 100 MB.

</edit>
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Jul 2022 at 10:04.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I agree with them.
    That would be nice one day. Unfortunately we can't afford it right now. We live in Brazil, where imported goods are really expensive these days, besides we are kinda poor even for Brazilian standards lol.
    Someone gave us an old TV they weren't using anymore and they were about to throw away this DVD Player and speakers because they were not working. So I asked them if I could keep it along with the TV, and fortunately the only problems were bad cables and damaged soldering which I was able to fix. All the 6 speakers work great and since we never had a home teather system I thought it would be nice to try and use them.
    Is there a cheap way I can use all the speakers with my PC? It doesn't have any kind of special sound card or anything like it. Only HDMI output.

You almost certainly need to reduce the frame size to 720x576 or less. Players from that era could not handle high definition video.

Try the attached Divx 5 file from the old Divx Test CD.
    Ok! I will try this file as soon as I get home today. I will also try to reduce the frame size in the next files I try to convert.
    Will report here asap. Thanks!

Ok, so the manual on pg 21 says the resolution cannot be larger than 800x600 (suggest you keep it at std SD), nor higher framerate than 30FPS, and must be properly interleaved in the mux (probably something like 1sec V, 1sec A, 1sec V, 1sec A...). Only a few 4CCs are allowed - DIVX3, DIVX4, DIVX5 and a few others allowed but not XVID.
    Got it. I will also keep that in my mind in the next tries.
    Thank you Scott!

Try to test if the official converter is right for you. Download and install it from divx.com (reject additional software during installation). Run from desktop, add video files, select home theater profile, in the audio options select pass-through original audio tracks and then click the play button at the top left.
    Thanks! I will definitely try this. I had already downloaded the DivX converter, just didn't try yet cause I was hoping Avidemux would be enough. But I will give it a shot and report here.
    Thanks again!

Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    see page 8 of 28 - https://manualzz.com/doc/49456508/lg-ht502thw-owner%E2%80%99s-manual
    what is the flash drive formatted as, FAT16 or FAT32 ?? try formatting the drive as FAT32 and then retry the files again
    and see if the'll play.
    The flash drive is formatted as FAT32 already. But thanks so much for the manual link! That will help a lot.

Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    I did some research and found out that the ffmpeg avi muxer is buggy. Try the included file, it should work.
    Then report here.
    Will do! As soon as I can I will report here about the results. Thank you so much!

I found a copy of the old Divx Test CD at archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071214233742/http://divxtest.isstar.net/

Download the ISO, burn it as a CD, and test all the various files. If you can't burn a CD, mount the ISO as a virtual CD in windows, copy all the files to a thumbdrive or network share, and see which videos you can/can't play.

<edit>

Well, it looks like the entire file wasn't archived by archive.org. Every downloader I tried failed after downloading 100 MB.

</edit>
    Sorry, I wasn't able to download the ISO either . But really thank you for the help anyway!
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have a copy of the Divx Test CD 2.0 ISO but it's too big to upload. So I extracted the ISO image and zipped up all the files except those in the Divx3 folder. If any of these files don't play you'll know what to avoid.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote