VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actualy the device belonged to a guy that works with video editing and he said the unit was checked last month, and everything was fine. Indeed there is a sticker from some place that do maintenance on video production equipment.
    But he also told me he uses another unit, sabe device, on a Windows 10 machine.
    So... I don't know what else to believe. lol
    But I'll definitely try it on an older PC I have. Just need some time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Checking with another PC sounds warranted.

Another angle might be.. you mentioned Win10 and Win11 before.. that implies the PC your working with is very new.

PCs for Win10 and Win11 typically have TPM and Secure Boot options in their BIOS (Or rather their UEFI firmware settings) which can block or disable Unknown devices attached via a USB port.. in particular they worry about Unknown USB sticks .. which might be used to start up and break into or infect PCs with malware or viruses.. sort of like in the old movie 'True Lies'. - that's now a reality, and the UEFI settings can do a lot of things before boot.. to prevent the operating system from seeing random unknown or unauthorized devices.

The settings aren't usually very smart.. and the wording can be fairly hard to understand.. but they usually have a drop down menu with "on off, or prevent booting from" - to boot into UEFI firmware settings you have to go to 'Settings' in Windows then choose 'Recovery' and then choose Advanced reboot.. it will reboot into a blue start up screen.. scroll down to the CMD or Command Prompt.. and select that and it will boot into the old BIOS / UEFI firmware settings and you can browse through that with your keyboard and arrows on the keyboard.. to look at settings for the hardware devices on the PC.

I can't give guidance beyond that.. I don't know the brand and model number of your exact PC.. it might be easier to just get the Users manual for your PC and read up on it in there.

When Thunderbolt started being unified with USB 3.1-c it also came with restrictions on 'Uncertified and Unknown' devices for the exact same reasons.. by default nothing new or unknown was allowed to be seen by the OS or allowed to charge or be powered by the PC.

Since I've been using Thunderbolt over USB3.1-c since the beginning I've seen this mindset creep in from the beginning.. basically.. if unknown.. block communications.. so I had to learn to turn the 'Block Unknown' setting off and make it accept 'Anything' like with old PCs and Macs.

It seems weird we have to do this.. but now a days.. if you don't know PC's to the n'th degree.. you have to have a PHd in order to reconfigure it from the factory to 'behave' like a plain PC from years ago.

Another or Older PC might also be simpler.. but you might come back to this, after you have checked on an older PC and see that it is detected.

New PC's are such a pain.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't worry about it. Still didn't have time to check it. Will do it as soon as I can.
    Quote Quote