VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Compressed with Handbrake NVENC H265, Decomb deinterlace filter
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. The display aspect ratio is wrong. It should be 4:3. Levels are bad. Saturation is probably wrong, though it's hard to tell since it's only a night shot. Every 5th frame is a duplicate -- you should have inverse telecined rather than deinterlacing. At least the horizontal time base is clean.

This is a little closer to what the video should have looked like:
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jun 2022 at 10:40. Reason: Added video sample
    Quote Quote  
  3. @boolean2
    This has all been discussed and explained to you in your other threads (IVTC, Aspect Ratio, Levels ....). Just take a look there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    @boolean2
    This has all been discussed and explained to you in your other threads (IVTC, Aspect Ratio, Levels ....). Just take a look there.
    Ok thanks I just wanted to post another sample capture. The ES15 really cleans up the signal. Still learning about how to process the capture and what software/filters to use. Big learning curve. Also I thought IVTC didn't need to be used on animation

Is this ghosting when paused normal?

[Attachment 65646 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by boolian2; 29th Jun 2022 at 18:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    Still learning about how to process the capture and what software/filters to use. Big learning curve.
    Which is why you need to start at the beginning -- getting good captures. Posting highly processed clips makes it impossible to tell what problems are in the source, what problems are due to a bad cap, and what problems are due to your processing of the video. Upload samples compressed with a lossless codec like Lagarith or UT Video Codec. Include medium speed panning shots and a variety of dark and bright frames with good color saturation.

Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    Also I thought IVTC didn't need to be used on animation
    Like movies, almost all animation starts out as 24p. To be broadcast as interlaced video it has to be telecined to 59.94 fields per second (usually captured as 29.97 interlaced frames per second). In the optimal case you can restore the 24p frames from the telecined video.

Paused by what? The VCR? The capture program? In a mediaplayer or editor before processing? After your processing? I suspect you have a PAL to NTSC conversion with blended fields. Blending is "normal" with those but can often be eliminated with the proper processing. The ES15's noise reduction feature can cause that type of blending too (turn it off). But your sample is too far divorced from the NTSC tape to say for sure where the problem lies.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jun 2022 at 19:12.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends what you mean by normal. It's obviously two frames blended, and a look at the capture source
    should provide some clues about what can be done.

NTSC (29.97 fps) can certainly be telecined from 24 frames per second, it goes through the 3:2 pulldown,
    just like regular Hollywood movies shot on film
    Quote Quote  
  7. Here's an original unprocessed capture of the scene from AmarecTV
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Still learning about how to process the capture and what software/filters to use. Big learning curve.
    Which is why you need to start at the beginning -- getting good captures. Posting highly processed clips makes it impossible to tell what problems are in the source, what problems are due to a bad cap, and what problems are due to your processing of the video. Upload samples compressed with a lossless codec like Lagarith or UT Video Codec. Include medium speed panning shots and a variety of dark and bright frames with good color saturation.

Also I thought IVTC didn't need to be used on animation
    Like movies, almost all animation starts out as 24p. To be broadcast as interlaced video it has to be telecined to 59.94 fields per second (usually captured as 29.97 interlaced frames per second). In the optimal case you can restore the 24p frames from the telecined video.

Paused by what? The VCR? The capture program? In a mediaplayer or editor before processing? After your processing? I suspect you have a PAL to NTSC conversion with blended fields. Blending is "normal" with those but can often be eliminated with the proper processing. The ES15's noise reduction feature can cause that type of blending too (turn it off). But your sample is too far divorced from the NTSC tape to say for sure where the problem lies.
    Paused in Media Player Classic. All my tapes and my VCR/ES15 are NTSC, no PAL. The IO DATA is set to NTSC.

update: I found the DNR setting and turned it Off. It was set to Automatic.
    Last edited by boolian2; 29th Jun 2022 at 20:49. Reason: found DNR setting
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here is an unprocessed capture with ES15's noise reduction turned Off.

And also the capture IVTC'd with avisynth.

Just noticed something weird, it looks like it's still interlaced in one spot on the IVTC'd version
    [Attachment 65650 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by boolian2; 29th Jun 2022 at 23:30.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The regular 2-3 telecine pattern is partially broken in your .avi capture. I don't know at which stage this happened (source editing or capture process ....)
    It may be better (?) to just deinterlace this source
    Code:
    assumeTFF()
    QTGMC()
    crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    bilinearresize(640,480)  #for square pixels
    Last edited by Sharc; 30th Jun 2022 at 03:41.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The amarec cap in post #9 is getting better. Chroma blending in the earlier posts was caused by the ES15's NR filter. The luma blending was caused by bad post processing. Levels are still bad. The picture is stuck on one frame for the first ~4 seconds (was the VCR paused?).

The problem Sharc saw is that the video swaps field positions every now and then. The top drops below the bottom field. I believe this is an issue with the capture device, not the tape or ES15. I've seen other caps with that device with the same problem. It's only in the first 8 seconds or so -- so maybe it just takes that long for the capture device to lock onto the signal.

I've only addressed the IVTC here...

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("amarec(20220629-2054).avi", format="YUY2") 
    AssumeTFF()

n = TFM(clip2=QTGMC(FPSDivisor=2)) # normal field matching
    s = TFM(Crop(0,0,-0,-1).AddBorders(0,1,0,0).AssumeBFF().SwapFields(), clip2=QTGMC(FPSDivisor=2)) # field matching after swapping field positions

ncombs = n.Crop(8,8,-8,-8).ConvertToYV12().FindCombing(0) # look for combing in n
    scombs = s.Crop(8,8,-8,-8).ConvertToYV12().FindCombing(0) # look for combing in s
    morecombs = Subtract(scombs, ncombs) # which has more combing?
    ConditionalFilter(morecombs, s.Subtitle("s"), n.Subtitle("n"), "AverageLuma()", "LessThan", "126.0") # pick the frame with the least combing
    TDecimate()
    You would remove the Subtitle() calls in your final video, of course. But it's instructive to see them here.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    Chroma blending in the earlier posts was caused by the ES15's NR filter.
    Without intending to go off-topic, in your experience Jagabo, is it better to leave this off for all captures (I have a PAL version)?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    Chroma blending in the earlier posts was caused by the ES15's NR filter.
    Without intending to go off-topic, in your experience Jagabo, is it better to leave this off for all captures (I have a PAL version)?
    Yes, leave it off. You can get much better noise reduction in software, especially with AviSynth or VapourSynth (though I can't help you with the latter).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The problem Sharc saw is that the video swaps field positions every now and then. The top drops below the bottom field. I believe this is an issue with the capture device, not the tape or ES15. I've seen other caps with that device with the same problem. It's only in the first 8 seconds or so -- so maybe it just takes that long for the capture device to lock onto the signal.
    Ah yes, the darn fields position swapping. Ugly, if this is a problem which pertains to this capture device.
    @boolian2: Did you capture via S-video or Composite? Is the problem repeatable? I am also wondering about the initial stucking of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Ah yes, the darn fields position swapping. Ugly, if this is a problem which pertains to this capture device.
    @boolian2: Did you capture via S-video or Composite? Is the problem repeatable? I am also wondering about the initial stucking of the video.
    S-Video. No composite. I will do some more tests.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been away for some days.But why do we need yet another topic about this ? (true that the previous one drifted somewhat but once we have several topics one never really knows which one to reply to)
    Quote Quote  
  17. S-video capture

vdubbed version also attached
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by boolian2; 30th Jun 2022 at 13:11.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I didn't notice any field flips in the 1026 video. A simple TFM().TDecimate() should work.

But why are there dot crawl artifacts all over the video if you're using s-video?
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Jun 2022 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I didn't notice any field flips in the 1026 video. A simple TFM().TDecimate() should work.

But why are there dot crawl artifacts all over the video if you're using s-video?
    I think that's just part of the animation? Not sure, I haven't seen it on any other tape so far. Maybe the tape is damaged
    Quote Quote  
  20. @boolian2: Same doubt here about the dotcrawl which you didn't have in your previous captures. Has anything changed in your configuration? Are you using S-Video throughout, i.e. from VCR to ES15 and from ES15 to the GV-USB2 dongle? Did you disconnect all Composite cables?
    Any sharpeners ON in the VCR or ES15? Is your source an original tape or a dubbed version?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    @boolian2: Same doubt here about the dotcrawl which you didn't have in your previous captures. Has anything changed in your configuration? Are you using S-Video throughout, i.e. from VCR to ES15 and from ES15 to the GV-USB2 dongle? Did you disconnect all Composite cables?
    Any sharpeners ON in the VCR or ES15?
    All S-Video. VCR -svideo- ES15 -svideo- GVUSB2 - computer. Composite isn't connected to anything. Could an old Monster S-Video cable be causing any issues? I bought it brand new, unopened but I think it was made over a decade ago. The other S-Video cable is new. I will double check later but VCR is set to Normal, not Sharp. Tape is original.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    Could an old Monster S-Video cable be causing any issues?
    Poor or missing wire screens could produce crosstalk between the luma and chroma wires (capacitive Y-C coupling). Cheap S-Video cables with poor shielding do have crosstalk problems. Just wondering why it didn't materialize for the other tapes. Maybe just less saturated colors. Weird.
    Last edited by Sharc; 30th Jun 2022 at 16:53.
    Quote Quote  
  23. The chroma carrier is a high frequency sinusoidal wave. The phase of the wave determines the hue, the amplitude of the wave is the saturation. So the more saturated the colors the higher the amplitude of the carrier and the more crosstalk you can get. The brghtness of the picture also makes a difference. The earlier caps uploaded here had very subdued color and very dark pictures so they didn't show much leakage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am probably way off the scale here but vdub2 reports the OP's UT captures as Rec 709. Surely they should be Rec 601 ?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some noise reduction using checkmate and temporaldegrain (Avisynth)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I am probably way off the scale here but vdub2 reports the OP's UT captures as Rec 709. Surely they should be Rec 601 ?
    Yes, the wrong codec was selected for SD video. Should be the 'UTVideo YUV422 BT.601' variant of the UTVideo codec suite, with the FOURCC code ULY2 instead of ULH2.
    (This applies to the OP's previous captures as well, b.t.w.)
    Last edited by Sharc; 1st Jul 2022 at 01:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. I did notice. But just wondered if that had an influence in the final output. There appeared a change when I forced vdub2 output preview to Rec 601 (not for the better I might add)

Maybe the OP needs to do another live-action sample, but this time with more day-light (even from TSOM) to see if the cross-talk is then present. I previoulsy had some with my usb-live which 'suddenly' vanished and with no correction on my part.

'Old man' comment coming up. Surely there have to be composite connections for the audio regardless of the s-video ?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Yes, the wrong codec was selected for SD video. Should be the 'UTVideo YUV422 BT.601' variant of the UTVideo codec suite, with the FOURCC code ULY2 instead of ULH2.
    (This applies to the OP's previous captures as well, b.t.w.)
    My bad. I changed it to ULY2. Here is a new capture using ULY2.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it my eyes but those artifacts are not present in the later sample.

But something, as I suggested, in good day-light may provide better analysis.
    Quote Quote