VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just replaced a GTX 1050 (not Ti, 2 gig RAM) with a GTX 1660 with 6 gig RAM. Got it for under $200 shipped as sanity is finally returning to GPU prices.

Why the GTX 1660? It was the most affordable Nvidia GPU I could find with Nvenc that (unlike the GTX 1050) does B frames.

In practice, what does that do for me in terms of HEVC quality and compression VS the GTX 1050?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Turing chips (except TU117) are documented to support B-frames in HEVC encoding. They will certainly enhance efficiency in comparison to HEVC encoding without B frames.

But compared to CPU encoding, GPU encoding will probably remain limited, due to a more limited temporal scope (uploading a lot of uncompressed video frames from RAM to VRAM would be a heavy burden).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The GTX 1660 does encode faster. A 1920x800 HEVC with 5.1 AAC audio to 1280x532 HEVC with 2.0 AAC audio. Runtime 53:15 encoded in 4:46 minutes with an average FPS of 270.

Also when I set the size to 230 megabytes it slightly undershot the mark VS how the GTX 1050 always went over the desired size.
    Quote Quote