VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am in Australia and am after either a standalone 4K player that is or can be set to region-free or, alternatively, one to connect to my PC.
    Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To clarify, do you mean a UHD Blu-ray player that is region-free for DVD and Blu-ray? UHD Blu-ray itself is always region-free.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased a Archgon MD-8107S-U3YC-UHD BU40N - UHD Official Drive, locally ( https://uhdenableddrives.com/ ) and patched to work with MakeMKV. Checkout the MakeMKV forum and they have a list of USB3 drives for your PC or MAC. Works well if you need to copy your UHD/BD/DVD to your NAS or a hard drive. As far as standalone I can't help, haven't played an actual disc directly for over a decade.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    To clarify, do you mean a UHD Blu-ray player that is region-free for DVD and Blu-ray? UHD Blu-ray itself is always region-free.
    Yes, that's what I meant, a player that us, or can be made region-free for DVD and Blu-Ray.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Few standalone Blu-Ray / UHD players can be software hacked to be region free. Check Amazon or 220-electronics.com for firmware hacked players.

If you don't need the menus and don't mind each video on the disc being separate, using a hacked UHD-writer/reader with MakeMKV will do the job. While MakeMKV can rip Blu-Ray and I believe UHD to ISO, few standalone media players can play them because licensing is strictly regulated. Alternately, you can burn the ISO back to disc and it should be region-free.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yes, that's what I meant, a player that us, or can be made region-free for DVD and Blu-Ray.
    I recall that some years ago, a couple of Australian members of this forum posted that Australians had the legal right to request the installation of firmware to make their newly purchased stand-alone disc player region free. I guess that is no longer true.

It is rare to find a disk player sold in the USA that can be made region-free by hacking it using a special remote and a series of keypresses. Those here who want a region-free player need to find a specialty retailer that sells them. Sometimes they are imported from another country and have a universal power supply, and sometimes the seller has installed modified firmware or has physically replaced chips. You should look into the possibility of similar retailers in Australia.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    If you don't need the menus and don't mind each video on the disc being separate, using a hacked UHD-writer/reader with MakeMKV will do the job. While MakeMKV can rip Blu-Ray and I believe UHD to ISO, few standalone media players can play them because licensing is strictly regulated. Alternately, you can burn the ISO back to disc and it should be region-free.
    Although not all titles include Cinavia protection, rips containing the original audio from those that do won't play correctly on a stand-alone disc player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    check out 220 electronics.com - https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-dvd.html
    they sell region free players.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    check out 220 electronics.com - https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-dvd.html
    they sell region free players.
    magnu lives in Australia. International shipping and import duties would add significantly to the expense.
    Quote Quote