VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. how do i send files from an android phone to an ubuntu laptop using wifi?

like when ypu use wifi direct to send files between 2 andrpid phones?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Install dropbox on both devices. Create a shared folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the Asus file manager on the phone which can access Windows shares,
    perhaps installing Samba in Linux would provide similar functionality
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not that many Linexers here, I think you'd get far better responses by searching ubuntuforums.org or askubuntu.com or posting a question there. Those are probably the best support sites for Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the linux forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oduodui View Post
    how do i send files from an android phone to an ubuntu laptop using wifi?

like when ypu use wifi direct to send files between 2 andrpid phones?
    try with KDE-connect - https://www.fosslinux.com/45959/share-files-android-linux-wirelessly.htm
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you are trying to get files off an android phone using Ubuntu, install gmtp, plug your phone unto a usb port, choose the option to transfer files on your phone (as opposed to charge) and then you can browse the phone's filesystem.

I do it all the time, piece of cake.
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks all

i regularly transfer files between my phone and pc. my usb c connection works fine juat wondered if there was a wireless way of transferring files. cell phones have wi fi direct. was just amazed that there was no wi fi direct support on ununtu.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oduodui View Post
    i regularly transfer files between my phone and pc. my usb c connection works fine juat wondered if there was a wireless way of transferring files.
    You can install an FTP server on your smartphone and then browse the (not-so-)remote files with a web browser on your laptop.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know it's not really what you're looking for, but you can also see if your phone will allow you to connect a USB flash drive directly for transferring files. I have a Galaxy S10+ that came with a USB > USB-C adapter; I can connect a flash drive using that, and use Total Commander (or whatever file manager you prefer) to copy or move files to and from the flash drive. Saves me the hassle of trying to connect to the phone, directly or remotely, or pull off the case so I can get at the MicroSD card.

Although, the forced update to Android 12 seems to have caused my phone to no longer properly recognize USB drives as removable drives? I'm not sure, but it no longer gives me the option to 'properly remove' USB drives. Either that, or I just haven't found it yet.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote