VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Freelance scientist Chemist116's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I need help for buying a tv box to watch Japanese and Taiwan tv channels. But the thing is I do suffer from ES disorder and I cannot bear too much wireless signals.

Because of this reason I need some advise from someone who actually owns one of these tv boxes. I been trying to find some options on my own and I found UBOX 9 which is reviewed here however the guy in the video doesn't say much if Wifi and bluetooth can be turned off. This other box called EVPAD is also reviewed but again the guy in the video doesn't say much about if the wireless options can be turned off or if they come with the device.

It would also be nice if the box does not have some breathing led like UBOX9 or some weird indicator. I don't need that. I am just looking for something that it can allow me watch Japan, Taiwan and Korea channels. I also need that it can be recorded or saved my favorite show on a pendrive or in the device or in a SD card.

I also don't need some fancy remote controls that are voice operated, just buttons and control of the device. I don't use smart appliances so I don't need a control for those.

I also need that the device do not get too much heat when is operating and that the servers are not slow and that it can allow switch between bitrate. And also well not too expensive.

With all that in mind, any suggestions? Please I need help on this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're unlikely to find anything prebuilt, especially Android based. You might try a Raspberry Pi or Chromebook with Kodi as you'll have more options with settings.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Raspberry Pi 4 has WiFi and Bluetooth on board. I don't think there is a removable card like a desktop PC has. I guess that if WiFi and Bluetooth are not set up, and there are no antennas attached then that would at least greatly reduce RF emissions. I don't know if they can be completely turned off using a setting in the OS.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, turning them off in the OS is what I was thinking, so it wouldn't be polling for a signal. You could do the same thing with an Android Box. AFAIK, all current devices have wi-fi at least. Or maybe an older PC or laptop. Probably won't work with Windows 10, anything older is a security risk, but should be okay with Linux. The only other thing I can think of is to desolder the chips. But this may be an issue because they may be multifunction.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note that disabling wi-fi saves CPU cycles, so it's definitely not active. I would think the same thing would be true of Bluetooth.

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-disable-wifi/

https://di-marco.net/blog/it/2020-04-18-tips-disabling_bluetooth_on_raspberry_pi/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Have you consulted an expert to confirm to you that communication wireless signals have no significant effect on our body? So if you take that out of your head then you will have more options to choose from, I know this is personal but as far as I know it's a myth and it's better to address it, Also I don't mean to start a debate about this because I know how the following posts are going to be. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also I don't mean to start a debate about this because I know how the following posts are going to be.
    And this is one of those posts. IMO, insensitive and off-topic.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Yes, turning them off in the OS is what I was thinking, so it wouldn't be polling for a signal. You could do the same thing with an Android Box. AFAIK, all current devices have wi-fi at least. Or maybe an older PC or laptop. Probably won't work with Windows 10, anything older is a security risk, but should be okay with Linux. The only other thing I can think of is to desolder the chips. But this may be an issue because they may be multifunction.
    I just checked my laptop and Windows 11 has a WiFi On/Off switch in its WiFi settings and a Bluetooth On/Off in its Bluetooth Settings.

My Chromecast with GoogleTV is essentially a type of Android TV box. Turning off Bluetooth would be highly problematic because its remote uses Bluetooth to communicate with it. When I have a chance, I'll have to find out if WiFi can be turned off.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting, I hadn't thought about wireless remotes requiring some type of RF signal to communicate with the receiving device unless it uses IR.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting, I hadn't thought about wireless remotes requiring some type of RF signal to communicate with the receiving device unless it uses IR.
    It has an IR function too so the two buttons at the bottom of the remote (Power and Input/Source) can be used to control a TV.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    My Chromecast with GoogleTV is essentially a type of Android TV box. Turning off Bluetooth would be highly problematic because its remote uses Bluetooth to communicate with it. When I have a chance, I'll have to find out if WiFi can be turned off.
    I checked the WiFi settings for the Chromecast With Google TV. WiFi can be turned off. I didn't see a way to turn off Bluetooth, which is probably a prudent safeguard to prevent users from disabling the remote.

Android TV boxes that have an IR receiver for their remote might allow Bluetooth to be disabled. Since wireless game controllers, keyboards, touchpads, and mice use either RF or Bluetooth, wired USB versions are the only possible replacement for these. However, I'm not sure if Android TV boxes can use the wired USB versions of these devices. Wired connections are incompatible with the concept of a 10-foot/3-meter user interface.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chemist116 View Post
    I need help for buying a tv box to watch Japanese and Taiwan tv channels. But the thing is I do suffer from ES disorder and I cannot bear too much wireless signals.

Because of this reason I need some advise from someone who actually owns one of these tv boxes. I been trying to find some options on my own and I found UBOX 9 which is reviewed here however the guy in the video doesn't say much if Wifi and bluetooth can be turned off. This other box called EVPAD is also reviewed but again the guy in the video doesn't say much about if the wireless options can be turned off or if they come with the device.

It would also be nice if the box does not have some breathing led like UBOX9 or some weird indicator. I don't need that. I am just looking for something that it can allow me watch Japan, Taiwan and Korea channels. I also need that it can be recorded or saved my favorite show on a pendrive or in the device or in a SD card.

I also don't need some fancy remote controls that are voice operated, just buttons and control of the device. I don't use smart appliances so I don't need a control for those.

I also need that the device do not get too much heat when is operating and that the servers are not slow and that it can allow switch between bitrate. And also well not too expensive.

With all that in mind, any suggestions? Please I need help on this.
    I found this rather plain black box: https://www.amazon.com/MXQ-Android-Amlogic-Quard-core-Entertainment/dp/B07ZTFBMTB It has an IR remote. It has no Bluetooth. It has an Ethernet connection, so it should be possible to turn off WiFi.

However, I don't know if apps for the Japanese, Taiwanese, and Korean channels that you want to watch can be installed on that box. I don't know if stream recorders exist for Android and streaming services often encrypt their streams to prevent recording anyway. Also, discussions of how to record paid services are prohibited at VideoHelp.

[Edit}I looked at more of the reviews, and one mentioned that this MXQ box gets hot, so forget I suggested it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jun 2022 at 13:44.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Freelance scientist Chemist116's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Have you consulted an expert to confirm to you that communication wireless signals have no significant effect on our body? So if you take that out of your head then you will have more options to choose from, I know this is personal but as far as I know it's a myth and it's better to address it, Also I don't mean to start a debate about this because I know how the following posts are going to be. Good luck.
    Yes I have consulted with a doctor about my condition, sadly he was not able to help me. I do also suffer of MCS disorder. Because my illnesses are not well understood, for us sufferers of ES and MCS it is very frustrating as people often made fun of us or don't take it seriously. Needless to say that we are often misdiagnosed and this is also saddening because we have to join into support groups for getting answers and alternative treatments.

Hopefully this is changing because new research is being done in this. Doctor Belpomme is a well known expert and has a clinic in Grenoble, France he has already published a dissertation well documented with neural scans, biomarkers and all that stuff that can be read here. I wish I had the sufficient funds to go there like many other patients go.

Bottomline, it is real and I had to go through a lot during the pandemic when the symptoms worsen. But it is not something that I would like to remember.

And yes, I would like to be healthy like a normal person so I wouldn't be asking for specifics. But again, it brings me hope that are nice people who understand my requirements and do their most to help. This cheers me up.

You're unlikely to find anything prebuilt, especially Android based. You might try a Raspberry Pi or Chromebook with Kodi as you'll have more options with settings.
    Before commenting on your recommendation, thanks for replying to the other guy on my behalf. I also felt it was unnecessary to say that.

Now going to the topic. I was wondering if are you familiar with the devices I mentioned?.
    I have never used an android tv box before. Whenever I wanted to watch let's say my favorite show on japanese tv I went to some site which streamed a channel but if the stream went off I was left without to watch something.

My wired connection is I think decent and I can bear to use it. But becasue overheat is a concern, I don't know if any of your suggestions could suffer from this?.

It would be desirable if the android tv box doesn't have an antenna or some bluetooh chip. But I think I can use it if it could be turned off from the OS or the settings menu.

Chromecast, Roku, the devices I mentioned above, your suggestion, etc. Can I turn off wifi and bluetooth on this?.

Something which has not been attended yet, is How do I record something from any of those devices?. Do they come with a prebuilt recording function to export it let's say mp4 or mkv to a pendrive or a SD card?.

I was thinking in buy an AVERMedia Capture box. I know there is a standalone device that you can use for capturing something, but I don't know if I should need it?.

Can you attend this doubt please?.

[Edit}I looked at more of the reviews, and one mentioned that this MXQ box gets hot, so forget I suggested it.
    Thank you for doing this search for me, honestly I don't know much about android tv boxes, this would be my first one, and I want to take a well informed choice.

Yes it is important that the device doesn't get too much heat. But most importantly and desirable is that at least bluetooth and wifi could be disabled somehow. Of course it would be nice if they didn't have any of those.

But I wonder, as I mentioned above. Assuming that we could find something that may fit to my requirements. How do we address the recording part?.

Can you please help me with a new search?. I mentioned some devices above but I don't know if any of those could have their wifi or bluetooth disabled. It may appear that not, but since I don't own any of these, I can't say much.

Please help?.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chemist116 View Post
    Thank you for doing this search for me, honestly I don't know much about android tv boxes, this would be my first one, and I want to take a well informed choice.

Yes it is important that the device doesn't get too much heat. But most importantly and desirable is that at least bluetooth and wifi could be disabled somehow. Of course it would be nice if they didn't have any of those.

But I wonder, as I mentioned above. Assuming that we could find something that may fit to my requirements. How do we address the recording part?.

Can you please help me with a new search?. I mentioned some devices above but I don't know if any of those could have their wifi or bluetooth disabled. It may appear that not, but since I don't own any of these, I can't say much.
    Most Android TV boxes use a small, unventilated, plastic enclosure so nearly all will get hot. I'll try looking for one with a ventilated case.

The Chromecast With Google TV uses a version of Android and allows Wifi to be turned off. Bluetooth can't be turned off because the remote needs a Bluetooth connection to control the Chromecast With Google TV. However, I have an Android phone too. The phone's settings allow both WiFi and Bluetooth to be turned off. My guess is that Android TV boxes that use an IR remote and don't include a voice control feature would permit Bluetooth to be disabled.

It is very likely that a capture device will be needed to record anything from a typical inexpensive Android TV box. Of course, HDCP would need to be removed from the HDMI output first.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before commenting on your recommendation, thanks for replying to the other guy on my behalf. I also felt it was unnecessary to say that.
    You're most welcome. I reported the post as rude, but the Mod's didn't take action.

I have an Android Box and a Roku, but didn't care for either one and switched to a PC because most of my video viewing is from hard drives and while at first I thought using a wireless keyboard (Logitech K400) was clunky, I find it much better than any remote. I do recall both getting kind of hot, but as usually quiet said, it's the nature of the small size of the box.

Since Android began as a smart phone OS, wi-fi and Bluetooth are standard functions and some cheap Android Boxes use phone versions that really requires a touchscreen. Another issue is that if you do find a Box that doesn't include wi-fi or Bluetooth, it would be a cost cutting measure, making me suspect the build quality.

I was able to use a wired remote with my Android Box, but because it didn't have a trackpad, it was unusable.

I'm thinking that a cheap, <$150 laptop or used PC may be your best choice. It's bigger , but much more customizable. You may have to get a USB adapter to add ethernet if it's a slim laptop design.

As for capturing the stream, as usually_quiet stated, if it's a paid subscription, it's against forum rules to discuss. if it's not a paid site, there's always OBS for screen recording.

Edit: Some streaming sites allow you to download the stream.
    Last edited by lingyi; 28th Jun 2022 at 03:34. Reason: Additonal info
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found an Android TV box with a good SoC and ventilation on the sides. The stripes on the top are merely decorative. However, it can still become hot. Review: https://techxreviews.com/tanix-x4-review/#google_vignette. The review says it has Gigabit LAN but some user reviews say it only has 100M LAN. It has Bluetooth and Wifi but the remote uses IR. However, you may need a wireless 2.4 GHz RF touchpad/keyboard to use some apps because it uses a version of Android intended for smartphones and tablets with a touch interface. ...but having an IR remote plus an Android version intended for smartphones makes it more likely that Wifi and Bluetooth can be turned off with an Android OS setting.

It probably can't do everything that your want. The availability of the channels you want to watch is entirely dependent on whether or not there are apps available for them in the Google Play Store (safe) or an APK at a third-party site (somewhat risky). I doubt that it will allow you to record/capture a stream using an app.

[Edit] I forgot to mention that there is a small digital clock on one side. If that bothers you, I don't know if it can be turned off. If it can't be turned off, perhaps it can be covered with a piece of black electrical tape.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jun 2022 at 13:36.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since it has vents, you could run a small fan outside the case for cooling. I use a small USB fan. I do this with my external hard drives and it lowers the temp significantly. You could do this with an[y] device, but it works best if there are vents.
    Last edited by lingyi; 28th Jun 2022 at 15:46.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I reported the post as rude, but the Mod's didn't take action.
    That is because the mods don't agree with your twisted mind opinion, I was just trying to help him in any way I can, Heck even if he wants to go to France I could find someone to help him out as I have a lot of family members over there, I looked at the problem from outside the box, this is the only difference. If he didn't bring up the medical condition and asked only a technical question it would be rude from me to ask him why he wants to do that.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okey. Please just skip the medical discussion.
    Quote Quote