VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’m thinking of picking up a used 3D video camera. It saves 3D video files in the AVCHD format with MVC coding into an MTS container. How would I go about authoring a frame packed 3D Blu-ray iso that I could then burn? I currently have a MacBook Air. I’m guessing I might need to invest in a Windows laptop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Get a Windows machine (preferrably a desktop) and a copy of a Windows Bluray authoring app that is known to support creation of BD3D, hopefully one that allows MVC source files without recompressing prior to importing into the authoring app. IIRC, VegasPro, combined with DVD Architect used to have that capability, but I don't know whether it still does since being sold to Magix. There were a few other tools. Cyberlink PowerProducer still says it can do that, but IIRC its output to BD3D is not the full-rez FramePacked format, but a SBS format, so you'll get 1/2 rez. Still better than nothing, but kind of a drag.
    Most of the other options I know of are pro/semipro and cost $$$.

My suggestion is if you can, put your MVC files directly onto a medium that can be directly accessed by a 3DTV (e.g. usb stick). There is a possibility it should be able to directly read an MVC-encoded file and display it in 3D via its embedded media player.
    Alternately, you could just play the MVC out via HDMI from a stereo3D-capable app on an HTPC (Windows), then no need to re-encode, assuming the app supports MVC (IIRC, many of the 3D apps were able to).

Scott
    Quote Quote